Roland's favorite CD versions of Deep Purple albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I got one in condition like new... a bargain.
    It is the best CD I have ever heard, leaves my other CDs in dust.

[​IMG]

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  2. Blizzard

Blizzard Well-Known Member

Hi Guys I wanna show you the difference on Wave form between 2000 Eagle Records mastered By Peter Mew and Original Cd EMI UK

The track is Mandrake Root

DR value is higher on Uk 1989 CD
    On 2000 remastered you have high RMS but lower DR than CD UK
    If you listen you clearly notice teh sound has more treble
    The compressor work is pure garbage
    [​IMG]

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I've never heard any of the Herschberg remasters. Not on my radar at all. If anyone feels inclined to post samples, that'd be sweet.

Have you never tried any of the old CDs for Made In Japan? I have an old EMI and it doesn't sound trebly at all, pretty balanced.

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have the Mini Replica CD, the original EMI, Anniversary CD and the Audio Fidelity.

The worst is the Anniversary CD. Higher DR as the Lee Herschberg remaster, but No Noise sucks out the life. The best one is the EMI, the AF is very close. All early US CDs were mastered from production copies!

5. For some reason, the posts that recommended the 1996 Herschberg remaster have been deleted. Anyway, it is compressed, and most or all people with similar taste as mine seem to prefer other versions, so I'm good.

6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Wtf.

Thank you. Do you mean Made In Japan or In Rock?

7. Tomcat83

Tomcat83 Forum Resident

Yes,my posts were deleted...reason? I can’t comment sound quality until I fill in my equipment in profile... ha ha, if this is the reason I missed my words...anyone could ask for my equipment info before deleting posts or is there something more behind the deleting of my posts? Anyway I will recomend to most people here to start using their own ears. Or are you just robots which can judge the quality of recording only according to the crazy parameter - DR value (even without listening to the music)? Most people here are fooled by DR parameter...

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Re compression on the Herschberg mastering of Made in Japan, I can say only that it does not sound particularly compressed compared to the Mew mastering, and I did not find it offensive (unlike the Mew :sigh:). I have never compared it to my lp copies to get a better baseline than that, and as I originally noted, I have never gotten around to getting one of the “forum favored” cd versions.

Edit: while I was typing this, Linda posted a link to the DR database which seems to back my impression. Interestingly, the Herschberg mastering gets the same score as the DCC. I would also note that my copy of the Herschberg is the original not the SHM cd, and I don’t know that we should necessarily take the DR entry as gospel on whether or not the mastering is actually the same.

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Darn it man. You took me down with you :laugh:

Anthrax likes this.
  10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

1) Yes, you should fill out your equipment profile. It give readers an idea of what the other person is or could be hearing. For example someone with a tube amplifier could have a different opinion than someone with a 1970's era receiver - both pieces of equipment will affect the sound.
    2) You wouldn't have any posting problems if you didn't insult everyone (....your comment are you just robots....) .

11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

:laugh: Excellent.

Come to think of it, there's a bunch of masterings I would ban all mention of. :evil: We'd all waste less time. :laugh:

Nice one. Thanks for the links.

12. Tomcat83

Tomcat83 Forum Resident

Sorry :) Your ears are working well - Lee Herschberg rules also on Made In Japan:thumbsup: DR parameter is only informative, you can’t judge mastering only according to DR value...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Such a crazy notion. :D

However, you'll find that what most people here do is get all the info they can from any source they can. And then, as with everything else in life, some are quicker to judge than others.

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's also financial. I don't have money to waste by purchasing four different versions, keeping one and reselling the other three for half of what I paid for it. Plus shipping. :D I've already done that many times in the past. :)

I'd like at least a hint or some opinions of where I should put my money first.

blacksabbathrainbow and Blizzard like this.
  15. Blizzard

Poor DR, translated in audio esperienxe Is Overall lack of Depth..ALL the instruments Have the same normalize Level of volume..
    It's obvious and you Don't Need Golden ears to realize that..

16. Thanks! Sometimes, someone else says exactly what I wanted to say, just quicker and also more elegantly and politely than I would have been able to say it. Today, that person is you. :)

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It's no less obvious that sometimes a CD with lower DR rating than another can still be preferable for other reasons. DR ratings don't tell the whole story. Which I guess was Mr Tomcat83's point.

Blizzard likes this.
  18. Blizzard

In My opinion When you are trying to compare 2/3 different Versions of an album,you Need a Good DAC and a pair of Good Headphones..Obviously a Good ear..
    Even with these It could be damned Hard!!!!

19. Tomcat83

Tomcat83 Forum Resident

Exactly! Compare for example Who Do We Think We Are AFZ and Lee Herschberg remaster. From the first few seconds of Woman From Tokyo you will know what I am writing about.

You can also compare Made In Japan DCC and LH remaster. After few minutes of listening I asked myself... am I listening the same concert? DCC was lifeless when compared to LH remaster.

I just love Lee Herschberg remasters of Deep Purple albums.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  20. Tomcat83

Tomcat83 Forum Resident

21. Discogs entry for the SHM-CD reads "Digital Mastering by Lee Herschberg, 1996", too:
    Deep Purple - Made In Japan

22. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Is this the one with black label design ?

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have two copies, one with the black on the left, like the CS LP, and the other one on the right.

24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Do both CDs sound the same ? Playing time of 43:25 is the same on both CDs ?