"Roll Up!"; 50th Anniversary of Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Got a mono copy when new and I was 11. Always liked it better than SP. The last album (I.E. side 1) where they last played together as a band. The White is solo plus backup and Abbey is slick proffessionalism and LIB is a disaster.

2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

My local library. [​IMG]

3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

empirelvr,

As noted, I was going off the top of my head, and in my compiled bluray Hello Goodbye is rightfully together like the E. P. I quoted off the bat.

The singles on the other hand are out of place for the obvious reasons of being recorded earlier. They just don't gel imho.

empirelvr likes this.
  4. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

woah!

5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Assembling the songs was not particularly creative, no.

But the book was a nice creative addition.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The book was already part of the UK double-EP package. Capitol just enlarged it to fit the 12" LP sleeve.

7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Dang. Well, then I guess it was not creative at all. :tsk:

Still... pretty good song choices, though.

8. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I've already mentioned that this is the first album I ever bought with my own money - without question it's my favourite Beatles album. The gatefold album is super cool and all the photos and illustrations sure captivated me way back then. However, I didn't see the movie until much, much later and I agree - what a resounding disappointment that was!

9. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Actually, Capitol should be given credit for including the booklet. I'm guessing that there was probably discussion about saving $$$ by not including it.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I bought it before I even realized it was originally an EP. Pretty well goes for all their UK albums...

11. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Carlox likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Judging from the success that Capitol had with the astronomical sales of the Pepper album earlier in 1967, they likely would have agreed to including a plate of fish and chips with the Magical Mystery Tour album if the Beatles had insisted ... ;)

zipp, andybeau, Maffune and 1 other person like this.
  13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

But no fish and finger pie please..

andybeau likes this.
  14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just put this record on (mono) when I see this thread. I have a hard time deciding if I like stereo or mono better they're both great.

Leviethan likes this.
  15. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

At least not four. Or in summer.

16. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i could swear that my first copy(probably around 68 or so) was an EP and didnot have the four added songs. am i misremembering? i grew on the east coast of the states.
    with the addition 4 songs clearly one of my favorite beatles records along with the white album.
    oh and the best psychedelic(maybe the only) record ever made.

17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That's still American-centric thought. MTB may be their most famous album in the US, which may be their largest market. But it can't be compared to Sgt. Pepper, which was huge in the US and all over the world.

By the way, according to official figures, Sgt Pepper had sold around 12 million copies by 2005. MTB, less than 6 million.

humpf likes this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I am saying most people knew of MTB during their career, when they sold more albums in 64 than any other year and the vast majority of those sales were in the US. What happened in the 35 years after they broke up is irrelevant to this. If you want to go by total sales through 2017, the answer is clearly One.

And most people means most total people even if they are mostly Americans. Their sales were the US centric thing, not my outlook.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  19. Arnold Grove

You are probably misremembering.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I borrowed it from the university record library in the late 70s.

I knew most songs but a few were unfamiliar to me (Flying, Blue Jay Way, Baby You're A Rich Man). All the 1967 UK singles on one album. The perfect companion to Sgt. Pepper's and better than it in fact.
    It made me regret not buying the double EP back in the day.

Nope.

- Vinyl LP bought in the early 80s
    - CDRs of stereo and mono versions

Both.

21. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

You mean like they did in the early 1980's? :agree:

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I already said the US was their biggest market. It doesn't mean it was their only market, which you seem to suggest.

Even during the time they were together, Sgt. Pepper would be only marginally less famous in the US than MTB, because Pepper was huge musically, commercially and socially. The difference is: Pepper was huge in the rest of the world too, while MTB didn't even exist.

So you can say MTB was the most famous album in the US, I won't discuss that. In worlwide terms, no way.

Maffune, humpf and phantomime like this.
  23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The Fool on the Field was pretty special too.

imawalrus likes this.
  24. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I received "Magical Mystery Tour" along with The Stones "Satanic Majesties Request" and The Monkees "Pisces, Aquarius" for Christmas 1967. Talk about a "Cosmic Xmas" for my then 12 year old ears! All stereo issues played on my Zenith portable stereo phonograph!

Scope J, RogerB and wgriel like this.
  25. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I had both the Beatles and Stones albums too as a kid with a Zenith cobra matic turntable in a console w/tv from the folks end and my end was a bsr portable changer. 50 years ago was truly cosmic and psychedelic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.