Rolling Stone: 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Updated in 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

As far as Lil Wayne - Carter III, that's all built off hype. Not a consistent album, the first 2 were much better. The album leaked in it's entirely, he was scrambling for producers by the time his deadline was nearing and put out an album of a few hits.

I could be wrong, because there's a lot of great reviews. Just my thoughts.

2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Mr. Jconsolmango, I tend to agree that greatest hits compilations aren't "albums" in the true sense of the word, but many artists on this list were making music before LPs came around. Robert Johnson for example, truly great stuff only released on 78rpm singles originally. Also like you said, Sam Cooke, although his album Night Beat does not "suck" by any definition of the word.

3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Compilations should be allowed only for artists in the pre-album days... for a Bob Marley, Elton John & Abba compilations to be on there is ridiculous.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  4. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I generally agree, but sometimes there's something like Sly's that includes a few singles where I'd be tempted to make an exception. Maybe some outfit needs to put out a list of compilations you still play even if you own a bunch of albums by that artist. But yeah, for artists of the LP age & beyond it doesn't seem to be a fair fight to have a greatest hits album up against "regular" albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.