Rolling Stone: 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Updated in 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I personally think Kanye's album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is a great work of art. And I'm not even that big on rap. I also think that Radiohead's albums "OK Computer," "Kid A," and "The Bends" will hold up to the test of time as being pop music achievements. Few bands attempt to reach as high a level as Radiohead does, fewer even get there.

2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Um... hi old people! Kanye West makes really popular music that a lot of people under 80 freaking years old really genuinely enjoy, the same way you guys enjoy the Beatles. Yes, it's true! And, within his genre- the most popular genre of the past 20 years- he's really talented. Yep, it's true. So go ahead and complain about Kanye West and, like, moveable type and women wearing slacks and whatever.

3. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Although I'm not a fan of rap and hip hop, I can usually listen to an album of it and at least understand how someone who does like the genre could really like a given album. I listened to Kanyes last album 3 times through to give it my full attention and it was one of the worst musical experiences of my life. No melody, terrible singing and the raps were boring and forgettable. Kanye is the first performer of any genre where I can honestly say I do not get what others find so great about the man. He's the most overrated and self promoting individual since Terence Trent D'Arby...if anyone even remembers him! I hope Kanye has a similar life of obscurity waiting for him....

4. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Well said!

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

TTD was quite talented - one of the best live shows I ever saw...

6. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Apparently there's a band called One Direction that's really popular too! So says me 6 year old. I don't have issues with people having issues with artists like Kayne being included in this list.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I find it funny that so many people are upset over this list. Rolling Stone lost their credibility years ago. Besides, it's just a list. Who cares?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Kanye West (the production can sometimes be overdone, his choice of guest vocalists is inconsistent and his egotism can often get the better of him, allowing for some self-indulgent and needlessly overlong skits) he definitely deserves to be on the list, for the innovative and ambitious way he fuses classic hip hop with modern pop and contemporary R&B, with a deep reverence for the great black artists of old, while for the most part making the bits that make so much top 40 pop so objectionable for many, myself included (autotune, melismatic female backing vocals, guest rappers) actually listenable and often beautiful. Couple that with the humanity, emotional resonance, honesty and introspection of his subject matter, the production and arrangements that have an almost classical symphonic grandeur (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy being his masterpiece in this respect), and the fact he is one of those rare contemporary crossover artists who has received widespread both popular and critical acclaim, and his inclusion should come as no surprise.

I don't care if you personally don't care for him or think he's overrated, but to constantly make vitriolic remarks that clearly reflect a severe lack of attentive listening to his music and/or are likely prejudiced due to his off-stage persona adds nothing to this thread and is actually against the forum rules.

That's all I have to say so far on this...

9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I respect your opinion, though saying that there's no melody and his rapping is boring and forgettable is very subjective. I think that the critical reception for "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" speaks for itself. That being said, in my opinion that album is the only one of his that I would personally put on the list. I will never vouch for Kanye as a person, but I think that within his genre he's an artist.

10. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

I'm interested in your list. Please post!

11. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

One Direction is 100x better than Kanye.

IMO, Kanye's albums don't belong on a 'Best of' for their genre let alone a general 'Best of' list. I don't have a problem with modern albums being on this list. I agree with some of the new inclusions.

12. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I know. Take a look at the advertising in Rolling Stone. I still love reading their lists. Take it all with a grain of salt. Politics.

13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I wonder how many of the naysayers of Kanye are actually hip hop fans or have actually listened to Kanye albums in full or have compared him with other hip hop artists. (disclosure: I am not a Kanye fan in general but I like some of his stuff)

That said, I have no opinion on his inclusion on the list.

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Great post and well said!

I only have My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West but what you said certainly applies to it. :righton:

15. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I will pass that on - my daughter will be thrilled but i don't think she knows who Kayne is. I certainly won't be able to hum a tune to help her figure it out.

16. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I'm sure this point has been made already during this thread, but I read the first couple posts and didn't figure I'd waste my time: Greatest hits compilations and box sets don't belong on lists like this. It's pointless to see an actual "album" like Merle's Branded Man drop off a list and be replaced by a four-disc box set loaded with classics, including some from the very album that's now been dropped.

The original list broke the lid off that dumb criteria, and this updated list just reconfirms how dumb it is.

Final thought: I'm a huge Bob Dylan fan. He's #1 with me. Modern Times was a strong album. But great? I'd crack a joke like "Modern Times isn't even one of the Top 500 Dylan albums", but I hope you get the point without me being ridiculous. It's not a great Dylan album, and it's definitely not one of the 500 "Greatest" of "All Time".

17. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

He's very popular so I'd think out of a list of 500 at least one of his LP's should be included.

18. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

This is a list entitled "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time" not "The 500 Most Popular Albums of All Time".

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Rolling Stone has some great investigative new reports almost in every issue. They have actually broke some news stories before any other magazine has.

These lists are voted on by the public..............right?

20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Let's face it: Many people take exception with any list/honor/award put out by any publication/group/blog/etc.

21. StevelandJudkins

StevelandJudkins Forum Resident

I think most people who are hyper-critical of Kanye are stuck in a vacuum. Its ok to like more than one genre of music. I listen to everything from Johnny Cash to Jayz. Thankfully I have music from the 40's as well as music that was released last week. There is a thick elitist attitude on this board. Anything released post 1974 artist is trash. Im as far removed from a 70 year old WASPY guy but I can appreciate music that they grew up with just as much as the music I grew up with. Kanye is a talented man. He doesn't have a bad album in his discography and his artistry in his genre is 2nd to none. Variety is the spice of life.

jconsolmagno likes this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Then for heaven's sake, go to a website like Pitchfork and check out their lists if you really want to broaden your horizons. :D

Billy Infinity likes this.
  23. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I don't have my copy in front of me, but the lists are determined by scores and scores of industry "insiders": accomplished musicians, record producers, band managers, record label bigwigs, rock critics, etc.. So while Rolling Stone is obviously involved in choosing who gets a vote, the list is not a direct representation of the magazine and its staff's opinions on these matters.

Each person (and their title) who voted is listed in a section near the end of the issue.

24. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Funny thing is I don't actually like any of Kanye West's albums. Like most popular rappers (who are actually good) I enjoy their singles. My personal digital Kanye collection is a self-made comp of songs across his career.

Like the Rolling Stones before Let It Bleed.

My personal best of albums whatever list would not have any Late Registration or Aftermath, because one has lame skits and the other has Going Home, making the albums as a whole not-great (though with great moments in them).

Comparing Kanye to Rolling Stones. Revoke my SHTV membership now omg!

25. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I was hoping you'd show up! Kanye certainly deserves a place on this list. Folks who are complaining probably have never listened to one his albums from start to finish. Whether three of his albums merit the same honor is debatable.

Horses for courses.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.