Rolling Stone McCartney Interview - "Paul McCartney Looks Back" - Aug. 10, 2016*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hole Got Fixed, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeanMrMayo

MeanMrMayo Well-Known Member

I seem to recall this discussion popping up elsewhere on the forum (cannot remember where at the moment) and I thought someone said whatever "trepidations" may have been considered, it is no longer the case and now everyone is on board... and it's just a matter of when. Anyone else remember hearing this?

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  2. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

New is amazing, his best since Flaming Pie.

3. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I would say go for it, it's actually my personal favorite Paul album, tied with RAM.

An AMAZING album!

4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Good for him. I was hoping he'd finally get asked a few questions about The Beatles.

majorlance, mrjinks, theMess and 2 others like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Age don t carry weight.
    Carry that weight
    Paul certanely does-fathering a teenager, being a rockstar, workin with Kanye and Rhiannah
    But still- the man was born during world war 2 so he is old
    Carry that weight:)

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

None of them were having a great time during the sessions and making the movie, even in the aftermath (inviting Phil Spector to add a choir and strings to some tunes, the release-date fight) this album is surrounded with bad karma. And; apart from its legendary status; is it a watchable movie apart from the rooftop session? Of course is a treasure for hardline fans, but apart from that it's a lot of talking, sometimes a nice tune, quite often mediocre and sloppy playing and the odd flash of humour.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

He put his thinking cap on for NEW.
    Sounds contemporary.

8. Mamunia

Mamunia Forum Resident

I can't believe he thought 'Hope for the future' would be a hit, according to the interview

Bullis likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

He was actually implementing the goal of the song, namely "Hope For The Future". But just like the attainment of peace and love, getting a hit single is hard to come by in reality.

10. MeanMrMayo

MeanMrMayo Well-Known Member

I love NEW. It was a great and exciting album, very versatile and fresh-sounding, with Paul in a new good place.

11. alexpop

Not one of his previous albums can compete with the contemporary edge he brought to the table with NEW.

12. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Contemporary Secretary.

13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Not even Electric Arguments? IMO quite a bit of New seemed to pick up where Arguments left off...

I'd also reckon Press To Play was an attempt at sounding 'contemporary' back in '86, and I've said a couple of times as far as mixing 'traditional' sounding McCartney songs with 'experimental'/'modern' sounds, New reminds me very much of Press To Play in that regard. Except New is probably the more successful fusion of the styles:righton:

14. alexpop

Sorry, some good songs on his eighties album. But, the complete enchilada is NEW ( that includes EA). Even more than MAF( though still prefer it).

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  15. alexpop

His follow up album to NEW 2016/2017 I'm anticapating it to be even better. He seems to be in the most positive mood since his early Beatles days. And no doubt stored a songs cache ready for production mode, press play indeed.

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"We shall see.", said the zen master.....

17. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I feel kind of the same way about it. As a movie it's... meh. BUT, it has the rooftop concert and a few other treasures (Two of Us, Let It Be). And it has the potential for a ton of bonus material (whether we would get it or not... who knows).

18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

You couldn't afford the ticket. It would be VIPs only at (likely) $5K a ticket or more.

vince likes this.
  19. paulmccartneyistheman

I assume that the album is pretty far along in the making, assuming by the comments he's made in the past few interviews. I wonder if it will be out early next year or late next year? I guess we'll know by the position of the next Archive release(if it comes out in June we know the new album won't be until late).

I'm pumped that we might have a new Paul album in 2017!! :bdance:

20. Arnold Grove

And don't forget that High In The Clouds animation film and presumably an accompanying soundtrack. That's bound to appear one of these years, so that too could affect any other plans for a brand-new album.

21. paulmccartneyistheman

I would think the movie is going to be a while, he didn't sound too optimistic about it, my guess would be 2018 at the very earliest.

I'll be surprised if it even comes out. It's already gone through 2 directors(if my memory serves me right) and it doesn't even have a timeline like most movies, don't movies usually have a release date a year or more before the actual date, oh and before that a trailer that says "COMING SOON"?

"I’m working on a film project that I’m writing some songs for. An animated film thing. The film thing, I don’t like it. Because you’re totally gung-ho and you’re doing it and somebody rings you up and says, “Well, it’s on hold.” One of the characters in our film, I’d rung up Lady Gaga and asked her to sing this song. It came out really good, but we can’t do anything with it until the film gets made" Paul said that in his most recent Washington Post interview, but who knows!

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  22. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

You know this how exactly? Been peeking at my bank statements?

The biggest hurdle would be ticket access, not necessarily the cost (for me, anyway). Should I - anyone!- spend that kind of crazy money? Of course not. But for a 2-hour evening in a 1500-seater (or, ideally, a <500-seater) venue with McCartney playing stripped-down versions of whatever the hell he wants? That's in the once-in-a-lifetime category for me - a ticket would definitely have my name on it if was able to secure one. More people - whether they could genuinely afford it or not - would snap these up than you think, at that price level or higher: not just or even primarily "VIPs".

Yovra likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

From 2013:
    Paul McCartney’s ‘High In The Clouds’ Heading for Big Screen »

"The film will be released in 3D in 2015." Did I miss it? ... ;)

24. Rose Decatur

Rose Decatur Forum Resident

As a longtime McCartney fan, that struck me, too. You can't help but think Nancy Shevell is a huge part of that. (Interesting, too, that when asked for people who he turns to for life advice he cites his wife, his brother....and Lorne Michaels.)

25. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

theMess, Sean Murdock, Zeki and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.