Rolling Stone record guides. Anyone else get irritated???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Remember, Marsh grew up outside of Detroit, so Motown was his formative music, even before the Beatles. His tastes were shaped by R&B and Blues , and his preferences amongst even rock bands were those with a strong base in those musical styles. Pretty much the further away from that base a band moved, Marsh (generally) disliked them

DMGuy and Bluesman Mark like this.
  2. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

I am taking this purely from today's perspective and consider what anyone thought of Zeppelin in 1969 irrelevant.

I'll grant that there are younger people who are meeting Zeppelin or another historically important band for the first time in 2019, and so the useful question is whether Rolling Stone reviews that take a longer view (or those in the All Music Guide, etc.) serve these listeners well. I'm tempted to say only the descriptive stuff matters, because we know star ratings are often inflated based on popularity (or in the older guides deflated based on personal taste). However, in talking music with other fans it is good to be knowledgeable about the popular stuff you don't necessarily like. I can't stand the Allman Brothers, but I hang out with a lot of jam band fans and wouldn't be served well if I didn't have a rudimentary understanding of what the Allmans did.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

I was only referring to magazine sales.

4. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I doubt they care much at this point. And everyone is reading too much into consistency anyway. Different people at Rolling Stone have held differing opinions of Queen, just as you'd expect from any publication that's been around for over 50 years. Even that first record guide is now 40 years old.

Bluesman Mark and Zeki like this.
  5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

:shrug:

6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

People have made up the notion in their heads that RS is this unified front that tried to do x and y awful things to their favorite bands, and so they then hate them for it... and then get angry when it turns out that the "front" wasn't actually very unified.

Bluesman Mark, troggy and Zeki like this.
  7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Yep. Or just disappear. Just once it would be refreshing to see a "I didn't realize the magazine album reviews were completely separate and independent from the record guide and it's contributors." But, yeah, I realize that's asking too much.

8. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The
    May have had a longer shelf life but doesn't mean anything. Why do these guides get to you?

9. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I grew up with the Red the Blue and the Yellow and they have sent me in good and weird directions. Ben Sidran 5 stars? I’ll try to get it I guess. Doctors Of Madness 5 stars? If you say so. 1983 me trying to find needles in haystacks.

BrentB and Bluesman Mark like this.
  10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Before this thread dies its death, I will point out that it was because of these guides that I found out about both the Velvet Underground and Big Star. Both of these discoveries rocked my world in 1992.
    To me these were the proverbial "needles in a haystack".

Bluesman Mark and Zeki like this.
  11. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I had a similar experience with Spin magazine's Alternative Record Guide (published in 1994). I had vaguely heard of The Velvet Underground, though hadn't heard them, but the book introduced me to Big Star, The Feelies, The Fall, Can, Throbbing Gristle, Wire, Richard Thompson, The Undertones, Pere Ubu, X-Ray Spex, and on and on...

12. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Richard Thompson was another earthquake for me, but that was due to a 1999 concert I saw of his, not due to RS.
    In that case I had never heard of him before that day, I only went because my girlfriend (now wife) wanted to see him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.