Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

My favorite song that they did at the Philly show. :righton:

2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

and KEITH!!!!

3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Yes, thanks for the correction but I think you understood what I was getting at yes?

ExHead and twicks like this.
  4. classicrocker

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Gettin' pretty pumped for tomorrow's show in Denver! Anyone else going?

MrGrumpy likes this.
  6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

7. classicrocker

It was a joke mate. I was just surprised a Stones fan like yourself did not know where Keef came from.

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

of course I know! just giving ya grief. now, don't get me started on "macca"!!!

classicrocker likes this.
  9. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Nope. I may want to stop seeing him, but if he wants to press on, good for him. Like Chuck, his legacy is secure.

10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

It's sad that for people like you, you can't just stop caring about the Stones. You have to demand they retire, and that anyone else not enjoy going to see them. It's more pathetic than any actual mistakes they make on stage. Good luck in your futile crusade.

11. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

I think most of the negative comments about recent Stones performances are from folks that haven’t attended a show on this tour. While their playing may not be as fluid as it was many years ago, the experience of being at the show ranks up there with the best Stones performances I have ever seen (11 since 1974). The sound and video delivered at NJ2 was the best I have ever heard in a large venue, and any minor shortcomings in the musicianship department were absolutely overcome (masked?) by extremely skillful sound mixing. In short it was a very memorable show worth all the pain it took to get there all the way from North Carolina even with flight & hotel reschedules. They delivered an honest show with no fake tapes (except the very beginning of Symphony). That seems to be the exception rather than the rule for most big time artists these days.

12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Aw, it's no crusade. Just killing time at work per usual. In fact, I was proud of myself for not putting in my two cents for most of this thread, but I saw that "Monkey Man" ending and it just kinda flooded out.

Glad you guys are enjoying the shows.

13. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

PiCK that thing.

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

On the issue of the name recognition of the members beyond Mick and Keith, I’m in a restaurant listening to the table next to me discuss seeing this tour, and one woman just said, “the drummer, Charlie Woods, didn’t look like he wanted to be there.” :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

But then again, too few to mention.... :)

MRamble and majorlance like this.
  16. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Not bad.

17. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I agree with a lot of your post but this part above, really? There's no way this is true in 2019.

laf848 and btltez like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ha ha - I was just about to post that! "Cords" is driving me nuts! :D

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

With the exception (maybe) of the Marquee performance, the Stones live in 1971 were the Stones live in 1971, and they were (oversimplifying a bit) playing the songs, and not setting a goal of attempting to even half-faithfully reproduce the studio recordings. If something goes "wrong", it's still (mostly) coloring within the lines.

That approach changed substantially (although not entirely) in 1989.

All that said, yes - I agree that Keith's playing changed substantially after 1999. But I think he made deliberate choices (just as he did in 1999) and we don't get into "sunsetting" territory until "Bigger Bang", where he was "off" a lot on that tour, even in 2005 before the alleged "coconut" wreaked its havoc and he had surgery. Most 2007 stuff is unwatchable to me (cf. the Chuck Berry analogy above) and much worse than anything we've seen or heard since 2012.

JuanTCB and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Oatsdad

I think you overstate the consistency of "prime Stones" and understate their playing now...

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Retire! Retire!

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Unwatchable because of Keith's playing...or his mustache? :)

MRamble and All Down The Line like this.
  23. Oatsdad

You sure it wasn't just a pronunciation thing? In Philly, they say "water" as "wooder", so in Philly, he's "Charlie Woods"! :D

24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

His playing. It's not like "Oh, that's beneath the standards I have come to expect." It was more like "Oh, no. Please don't do this."

Like watching a punch-drunk boxer.

twicks likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

I don't see a great comparison between Keith and Chuck because Chuck didn't give a rat's ass. He just wanted to get paid - he didn't care if he sounded good or the band sounded good.

I find it tough to imagine Keith will go down that half-assed path. Not saying he'll quit if/when it's clear he can't hack it, but I think he'll at least try to play well, whereas Chuck seemed content to "be Chuck" and rake in the bucks.

Keith also has a longtime band who can help compensate, not a bunch of nobodies the promoter had to find ala Chuck...

laf848, The Beave, budwhite and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.