Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian999

Brian999 SLY

All Down the Line was rehearsed at todays soundcheck fyi

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Pretty sure some of us love the Stones and Gaga...

3. Oatsdad

"D&G" is part of the "Avengers: Endgame" soundtrack. Kinda surprised the Stones haven't played it since that's a pretty big tie-in...

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Don’t get me wrong, I was bummed to not get ‘All Down the Line’ or ‘Live With Me’, but what are you gonna do? Gotta push on through (or go take a piss)

Matthew Tate and Hot Ptah like this.
  5. Oatsdad

I actually really liked the versions of "Slipping Away" they did at a couple of the shows I saw. It's not as good a song as "Silver" but I think it worked better live...

6. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

I got HOS and it was awesome -- can't figure why they didn't play that or PW more.

"Tops"? You win! Did you also get "Mona" and/or "Down the Road Apiece"?

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

People always talk about tourists walking for Keith's set, but I never really saw it firsthand too much until the recent Philly show. Half the section got up! It was like one of those drug ads for frequent-peeing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Heart of Stone" WAS awesome.

Yup. All 3, over the 2 Philly shows. I think Buffalo also got "Tops". (Bonus points: I was on the rail for "Mona" and "Down the Road Apiece", and that was before all this wussy "Golden Circle"/Pit stuff....)

Also got "Satisfaction" in '78, but that's a truly dubious honor.

9. Oatsdad

I saw Aerosmith last night and was surprised at how many 20-somethings were in the crowd.

I suspect Aerosmith gets a generally younger crowd than the Stones because of their late 80s/early 90s success, but that doesn't explain the people barely born back then!

10. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

I almost forgot: I saw "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love"!

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Oatsdad

My parents were in their 30s when the Beatles came along, so I never had to "compete" with them about musical interests! :D

JoeRockhead likes this.
  12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Beware the rarity!!!!

13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

That's actually not that bad, given that they'd only played it once before with Ronnie (Knebworth '76) and it was most assuredly unrehearsed.

I remember "Street Fighting Man" from '78 being TRULY awful - like "different band members playing in different keys" awful.

Cool to hear them both with the '78 sound and attitude, though.

14. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Did someone say 1978 rarity? (And no, I was not present):

TonyCzar and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would have loved to have heard that in Denver instead of “Like a Rolling Stone.”

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I hear you! My parents called the Beatles on Ed Sullivan in 1964 “those animals” playing “that trash,” “that noise.”

When the Animals performed “House of the Rising Sun” on Ed Sullivan later that year, my mother said “these groups are all animals! This one even admits it! They even call themselves Animals!”

They were ages 31 and 35 in 1964.

17. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

OK. She is right next to me, in tight blue jeans. Diminutive. She's a hardbody, believe me.

Hot Ptah and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

These isolated anecdotes are not as important. If you have been to ad many shows as I have you get a good feel for the crowds. The Stones in general attract a much younger crowd in Europe and Asia than in the US. Part of this is attributable to the sky high prices in the US, where except for the front pit, the field tends to be seated and priced way too high. Part of it is just taste.

In Europe, where the fields are basically split into gold and silver, you see many young people, particularly post - A Bigger Bang. Not a bunch of seniors like you would see at Crosby Stills and Nash, James Taylor, Carole King, Brian Wilson, Jackson Browne, etc. Not even families, as you might see at a McCartney show, but young couples, groups of young guys, etc. Lots of younger (by that I mean under 40) people in their Stones t-shirts. And frankly, the atmosphere is much better. I love European Stones shows. And South America is just a gas, gas, gas - Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, are from all reports, just amazing. It’s hard to fill stadiums (not to mention Copacabana Beach) with just 70 year olds:

There are a few other acts that are similar - I have seen surprising numbers of young people at large Fleetwood Mac shows. Also, I was shocked by the young people in the crowd for the Cure at Fuji Rock. I mean, it wasn’t Martin Garrix, but it was very young. I’m also looking forward to seeing how many oldsters will brave the heat (predicted 95 degrees) to see Red Hot Chili Peppers at Chiba Stadium this Saturday.

Of course many people in their 20’s could not care less about classic rock. My older daughter loves the Stones, but the younger one prefers BTS. The only “veteran” act she is planning on seeing is the Jonas Brothers, who apparently bring back memories of middle school. Anyway, there are all types.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Hot Ptah likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

great show with Midnight Rambler just as good as Denver and with the Robert Johnson snippet.

Beast of Burden song vote. Set was 18 songs instead of 20 at start of tour and 19 recently.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Managed Silver Train & Can't You Hear Me Knocking both with Mick Taylor however being in Australia seeing less concerts means less rarities heard. OT but I can say however that I have seen Foxey Lady, The Wild Colonial Boy & (an unreleased original introduced as) What In This World (slated for Steel Wheels) performed by Mick Jagger.

TonyCzar and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. All Down The Line

You just might be onto something as it could also cross promote some offstage scenes from CS Blues for a "From The Vault" Blu-ray release!

22. All Down The Line

Steady, he may be close to 81'!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. All Down The Line

Like SFM in New Jersey 78!

24. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Mick stop yelling!

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Not according to the official setlist posted online, the show was still 19 songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.