Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Interesting the Stones sold poorly anywhere in 1994. They were great on that tour! I went and have never seen a better show.
    I kind of knew they'd be good going in, from having seen the TV concert from the Steel Wheels tour.
    I may or may not see this tour, I have mixed feelings. I actually fear for their lives due to their age. I really don't think they should tour anymore. The fear I have of one of them keeling over dead, kind of seems like it might take from the joy of the music. At the same time, people wanna go and the band wants to play, so they ought to go for it, as they are.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Who scheduled this?!

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

They likely had to take any open dates.

warewolf95, tkl7, OldSoul and 3 others like this.
  4. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Present tense. If it was a Stones town, they would have played there more recently. 1981 was almost 40 years ago. I'm not even sure it's a rock 'n' roll town. It's a poor city with bad demos.

mbrownp1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

What's with the skull and flowers imagery? Looks like a Grateful Dead show...

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Seattle is their first Pacific Northwest show in 13 years. Fans had to see 2012/2013/2015 by getting on a plane.

That's lots of hotels/flights to switch and could lose 20% of the crowd. Scalpers can cash in their tickets for face value. Tack it on after Miami.

There's 2 sets of metal stages they set up/take down that do every other show. Then 1 set of electronics/instruments/backline.

They simply saturated that part of the US with too many 1994 shows.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Rockford & Roll and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

All kinds of low-level people will have to choose between battling to get to work - ushers, security, ticket-rippers, hash-slingers, custodians - and making sure their families are safe and/or evacuated. A delay isn't going to kill anybody. This ain't Katrina, but there's going to be a LOT of water.

8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

They put two shows on at the Vet in Philly in 1994, and the upper decks were spotty, attendance-wise, both nights. Not so spotty that they should have reduced it to one show - the venue was clearly > 70% each night - but in 1997, they did just that at the same venue: one show for Philly, which they hadn't done since 1978.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

That is concerning -- it should be up by now.

waaguirr and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Seriously?? Not a Rock n Roll town?? C'mon.... Many bands have come through here multiple times since 1994 and have either sold well or sold out.

Since about 2000.. McCartney 4x, Springsteen about 4x (packed in so tight at Jazz Fest you couldn't move), Aerosmith about 5 or 6x, Elton John about 4x, Clapton 4x, Dylan about 6 or 7x, Billy Joel 3x, Elvis Costello about 7x, Beck 3x, Fleetwood Mac 3x, Foo Fighters 5x

Other bands have been here at least 1x or twice since 2000.. Van Halen, Motley Crue, The Police, Pearl Jam, Bon Jovi, REM, Queen (in some version), Tom Petty, Kiss, Brian Wilson, Neil Young,

Really.. the only huge bands that won't play here or will barely play here over that long a span.. The Stones, The Who (1x Jazz Fest only) and U2 (1x)

I know most of these aren't on the same caliber as the Stones.. but really.. not a rock and roll town..

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

SHoot man, whoever said that needs to catch the Iguanas at the Circle Bar.

Elizabeth M likes this.
  12. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Do you feel this way every time you see an oldster?

13. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Those bastards. :rolleyes:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

15. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Case by case, and maybe I'm wrong to ever feel that way. My personal sense of mortality is very much a factor.

TonyCzar likes this.
  16. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Even though they made really good albums, IMO 90s FM radio mostly ignored the material that came out. Material that I think is better in a lot of ways than what they did in the 80s. This must have had something to do with ticket sales. Than there is this way things come back around, and a lot of old bands are ready when the time is right. This IMO also has to do with the vastly fragmented state of marketing by record companies with newer bands. They give up before a bands brand even has a chance to be established.

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

He should have stuck with baseball.

vcpj likes this.
  18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Twitter has fans saying hotels/airlines have cancelled ON THEM. Some considering buying new flights/rooms. Elsewhere it was suggested the postponing message has to be last minute for insurance payout reasons - which I'm not sure I fully understand.

Who was the last rock act to get near filling the Superdome? IIRC, u2's last visits were very easy tickets.

Matthew Tate and MrGrumpy like this.
  19. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

There are maybe 100,000 white people in New Orleans, aged zero upwards. No way even half of them are going to show up at the Superdome for a rock act unless you can get the drunken tourist crowds.

Matthew Tate, mbrownp1 and twicks like this.
  20. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

I'm sensing a theme here.....

OldSoul and TonyCzar like this.
  21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Yeah. The bigger problem is the venue. The city may have a small demo that would go, but they won’t go to that cesspool.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

It’s called reality. Welcome.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

News coverage from NO this morning said that airlines and hotels are offering no-charge changes/cancellations, so that implies that they foresee significant disruption.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

For those planning on going to the NO show, please note:

CLEAR BAG POLICY

All bags are prohibited other than clear vinyl bags no larger than 12" wide x 12" height x 6" deep, Gallon Size Ziploc Bags (Limit 1 of either) and Small Clutch Purses no larger than 4.5" x 6.5". Non-clear Diaper bags are prohibited.

25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

New Orleans show moved to Monday 7/15.

The Rolling Stones on Twitter

UPDATE FROM NEW ORLEANS: Due to the weather we’re moving Sunday’s Superdome show to Monday. Hang onto your tickets, they will be honored on July 15. We’re here with you — we’ll get through this together. #stonesnofilter #neworleans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.