Rolling Stones 2020 North America Tour postponed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I’m also worried about the potential for many bankruptcies in the concert industry. If things get going again before summer is over that’s one thing that many live music businesses will be hurt by but will survive. However, if we are not seeing shows happening again until 2021 with an entire industry having zero revenue for a year or more...it’s hard to see how that won’t decimate it.

I have about $2-$3k tied up in tickets right now. Only one show I had tickets for has given a refund and that’s due to being cancelled rather than postponed.

I am curious as to what the logistics really are for the cash flow for shows that are months away. With a huge percentage of big shows Live Nation is the promoter. Ticketmaster is part of Live Nation so with them being part of the same company either the money you have paid for tickets is somewhere in their company orbit has already been paid ( or maybe a portion paid) to the artist. I’m not sure when artists actually get paid on the big Live Nation tours. I would guess some sort of advance or guarantee is paid well in advance but probably not everything.

I would hope that artists would honor tickets their fans purchased even in the event of a Live Nation/Ticketmaster bankruptcy. Of course no guarantee but I can tell you that for me any act that just leaves their fans holding worthless tickets is an act I would never buy any ticket from again.

I won’t be buying any new tickets until this situation is over. I plan to take the refund in any unlikely scenario where one is offered. The exception being this situation rapidly improving and things being back to normal much sooner than expected.

Does Live Nation/Ticketmaster have any new revenue at all coming in right now? Hard to imagine anyone buying concert, sports, etc. tickets. So yeah, you’ve got to wonder how long they can function like that.

2. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

What used to be unconscionable is standard practice these days. :shake:

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Live Nation ... TM... there's an industry that needs to be DISRUPTED.

ODShowtime, forthlin and fishcane like this.
  4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

What do you mean by 'yes'? That LiveNation/TM has the money on hand to refund every event affected?

With regard to the issue of artists being paid, we learned from the Michael Cohl days that the Stones are paid a fixed sum upfront, and they cede control to the promoter to sell the tickets. Didn't Cohl pay them $70 million for the Voodoo Lounge tour?

5. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

I think there have already been multiple filings

6. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

No - that they have an eye on bail-outs.

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Got it! :thumbsup:

8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

TM: "Yay! We snagged a bailout!"

Us: "We're sorry. Someone else has snagged that bailout. Please return to the waiting room."

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If there comes a time when we can enjoy concerts again, and we have to do so without the benefit conferred by an entity virtually monopolizing venues and ticketing - few tears will be shed by anyone but their stockholders and creditors.

JuanTCB likes this.
  10. Nomadicarchivist

oh, that too. Bankruptcy to shed obligations and also take bail outs..

11. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

It will be easier to rid the world of the virus than the Live Nation/Ticketmaster monopoly. With the little competition they have also being impacted by this situation, I’m sure when the dust settles they will survive just like cockroaches and rats. They may need a bailout or bankruptcy reorg first but they will be back to rake us over the coals bigger and better than ever. Maybe even a special new virus service charge on top of their current fees.

TheSixthBeatle, twicks and Rfreeman like this.
  12. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

This morning I received an email from Ticketmaster suggesting that I log into my account and click on each show for which I had purchased tickets. When I clicked on The Rolling Stones in St. Louis there was an option for a full refund. I clicked on that and was informed that my full refund would be applied to my credit card within 30 days.

13. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Just checked my tickets and the refund option was there for the LD tickets I bought, but not the other seats I bought on pre-sale. Not that I'm looking for a refund just yet - was just curious.

TonyCzar likes this.
  14. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

My now online MBA class last night had a guest who is in the music industry (digital marketing for a US label) and I asked him his thoughts on the tour landscape and he said the earliest he could see tours commencing was this fall. This was off the record (no pun intended), so just his opinion.

I have a healthy slate of shows that I've purchased tickets for: King Crimson, Roger Waters, Dead & Company, New Order/Pet Shop Boys, Aerosmith. Those last two are in September, so maybe they're on the bubble?

If shows postponed rather than canceled, I'm hoping for the option of refunds.

15. RC1

RC1 Forum Resident

Just checked mine and was offered a refund on STL LDs and regular pre-sale Nashville tix. Not sure I want to pull the trigger yet.

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The sky didn't fall????? Locusts didn't descend?????

Sean, Say It Right and mbrownp1 like this.
  17. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

i am gratified at how this has been handled.

forthlin likes this.
  18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Lots of festivals have announced rescheduled dates from start of September onwards. They have lots of set up costs and fans are putting up flight/hotel expenses.

RJ3000 likes this.
  19. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

My buddy bought four tickets (two were for me) for the 6/23/20 Pittsburgh show through the Rolling Stones Fan Club pre-sale via Ticketmaster. He said he just checked the TM website and they were not yet offering refunds for that show. He said the only choice they are offering at this time is to put them up for re-sale. I wonder if that's because they're still trying to reschedule the show?

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

No refund option for any of my shows and several have rescheduled dates showing already

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  21. Nomadicarchivist

Inexcusable

fishcane likes this.
  22. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

The Buffalo show wouldn't happen to be among those, would it?

23. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

So some people are complaining they can't get refunds. Others are turning down refunds. All very confusing.

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Not that I’ve seen

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

wow, the Stones really don't want to finish up that new album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.