Rolling Stones 2020 North America Tour postponed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Considering that the Stones core audience is a MAJORITY at risk group... There should be a postponement IMHO

2. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Including the Stones themselves....

Sean, DTK, Chris Bernhardt and 2 others like this.
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I think that’s a bit premature as we don’t even know what the landscape of the pandemic will look like in 3 weeks, let alone 2 months....

I see Ticketmaster conveniently changed their refund policy for rescheduled shows a couple days ago....

4. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

The funny thing is I can’t remember any cancellations when Ebola or the other super bugs happened.

5. Nomadicarchivist

This is unlike "other super bugs"

lightbulb and Socrates like this.
  6. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I don’t know why you can’t tell some people that, and it’s me playing: “One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later).”

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

In 2001, the alarmist media had everybody panicked over SARS. "If you enter into Canada, and breathe the air, you're gonna die!" Mick & Keith got the team together to put on a killer show in Toronto. Then not another word about SARS. :shh:

8. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

9. Nomadicarchivist

Umm... thats because it had cycled out... And Mick and Keith "got the team together" for a MASSIVE payday..

The "alarmist media" is now reacting to the worlds top scientists who are themselves alarmed by how easily Coronavirus is spread and the fact that the US is soo far behind the 8 ball in preparation

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

They cancelled several dates in 2003 due to SARS, and re-scheduled a few others to the end of the year (all dates in Asia).

11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I had been bearish about a 2020 tour. Now I'm a little more optimistic. We still have a long way to go, and then there's the economic aftermath, but I'm inclined to think they're moving ahead in some form.

BTW - the classic rock core audience is a MAJORITY risk group; it's not just an issue for the Stones - where, btw, I see more, younger folks than at most classic rock shows.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Say It Right and Sean like this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

this is not SARS. Lordy, people.

That said, no one knows what's going to happen in the next few weeks, so we may be okay by May, who knows.

BeatleJWOL, mgb70 and Sean like this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Heroin and booze and nicotine couldn't bring Keith down, but Corona? Be careful, gentlemen.

14. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I think a lot of people are in denial. That doesn’t make you a bad person. Maybe it just means we’re using different math. Nobody knows what it’s like to be the bad man. The Who is rescheduling their tour for “later in the year.” Pearl Jam is rescheduling, to an as yet unspecified time. The Boston Marathon has been rescheduled to mid-September. Nobody else is really saying that June looks great. Sure, everything will be over by June. Really?

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

So I've definitely noticed a difference in tone and perception based on where people live. Like, my company here in Minneapolis just sent out the "please work from home if you can" email today because the local news finally is reporting there's more cases and the governor is closing schools. But my friends in Seattle, Nashville, NYC, Europe, Chicago, etc, have been freaked out about this for weeks as things started getting cancelled in their cities. Mpls is a fairly big city but also doesn't have the constant influx of travelers as a lot of other places, so I can see how someone here, or in like, Omaha or some small town/rural area thinks it's being overblown.

The more I think about it, the more it feels inevitable the Stones tour will be moved (especially given the logistics of moving a giant stadium tour vs. an indie band playing clubs). But I think they're also going to wait until the last minute to see if they are just going to move the dates a few weeks or have to cancel outright (since they can't reschedule for the fall/winter...although they could just quit these dumb stadiums and do arena shows :agree:)

16. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Ohio’s Governor has in the last few days shut down all the schools, public gatherings of people over 100, and just today announced that starting at 9 PM today, all bars and restaurants will be closed until further notice.

Given all that, I’m not counting on seeing any shows at all anytime soon. April would be a miracle and May is seeming pretty much out of the question too.

17. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I don’t know why people aren’t thinking fall/winter more, or even touring in 2021. Maine probably has more coronavirus cases than we realize because nobody could get even get tested here for a while. I’m not even sure if you can get tested for it now in a lot of of different locations statewide. Maybe the warmer weather in the spring will be the cure for everything? The prospect of touring, plus the coronavirus is just a bad combination, especially with all these bands that are full of old dudes.

18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Not sure why May would seem to be out of the question...

19. hutlock

It isn’t out of the question but I’d say because April is, logic would say that it will take several weeks just to set up new schedules, book the shows, etc. so the world may be ready but logistically speaking I can’t see it in the cards except for locals and the like.

Socrates likes this.
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Unless of course things just stay the same, schedule wise

21. hutlock

I can’t speak for anyone else but here in Ohio I’d say there is basically 0% chance of that being the case. YMMV.

22. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Oh, no. I think the original dates are toast, absolutely. But there are still plenty of months before 2021.

hutlock likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

One needs to look at the experience of other countries as a basis for judging the time line.

The outbreak started in China in December 2019. Now in mid-March, China seems to have stabilized and things are looking much, much better there---that is, if things don't circle around again and repeat. So that was approximately 3 months. A similar pattern has occurred in South Korea, also in the 2- to 3-month range.

So there is a strong chance that a large-scale outbreak in the USA that started in early March will likely follow a similar 2- to 3-month time line.

Maybe the measures taken right now can shorten that period, and hopefully they will. But there is no guarantee.

MRamble and superstar19 like this.
  24. Nomadicarchivist

Ohio Governer: "Ohio Schools may stay closed for the rest of the year: "DeWine (R) told CNN that health experts have advised him the spread of the novel coronavirus may not peak until late April or May.

“So we’ve informed superintendents that while we’ve closed schools for three weeks, the odds are this is going to be a lot longer. And it would not surprise me at all if schools did not open again this year,” he said."

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Because without a vaccine or cure, the best that health care systems can do is manage the rate of spread. Google 'flatten the curve'. In order to prevent hospitals running out of capacity (and losing staff to quarantine) draconian measures are required. Just look at what is happening in European countries now. The US is going to have to be shut down for MONTHS just like every other country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.