Rolling Stones Album-by-Album Thread (Part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

there's also the recent soundtrack to Charlie is My Darling, which was much praised by our original thread captain and key contributor PSClips. I've heard some of it and of course it's great. But I'm not too sure how to recommend obtaining it, and in what format. In any case, you'll want to hear it as it's comparable to the TAMI show in quality.

2. botley

botley Forum Resident

My recap of Still Life will be posted this weekend. After that, we'll be listening to Muddy Waters jam with the Stones...

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

stones2 001.jpg

Attached Files:

Croidler, Culpa, bonus and 1 other person like this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Before we move on -one more time for this song- because- It makes me feel
    good!

botley likes this.
  5. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

been listening to Sucking... not sure the sequence quite works. Though I'm not sure it could work any better, given the span of material they were trying to cover and the brevity of a single LP. But the first side jumps from funky rock to spacy ballad kind of fast... maybe it's the edits to the tracks that throw me off. Side 2 maybe has a better flow, since the energy is higher throughout.

it's made me return to "Time Waits for No One," usually a track that for me crosses over a line into schmaltz. It's actually a nice arrangement. Maybe later in the '70s they would have played up the kind of Latin rhythm it has, which would have helped make it more distinctive. This is an edit I don't mind -- a little taylor goes a long way for me. I like his ascending line as an element of the song, but have always found the outro soloing too aimless for my tastes. Still, the weak link is jagger. Having written what he might think are profound lyrics, he seems to not want to appear to think they're profound, so he kind of throws away some of the phrasing. Toward the end he does some of those wordless, nasal vocalizations (must be a technical term for it -- melisma?) that Dylan was getting into around the same time in his gypsy phase, but imo not nearly as beautifully. Wonder if old mick would be more sincere about the song today (though since the lyrics are so trite, that might not be a good thing).

on the other hand, I am firmly in the "Dance Pt. 2" camp, if there is one. I love what he does with this track and find it more entertaining than Pt. 1. The lyric idea he plays with is one familiar from blues songs ("If I was a millionaire, etc...") but grafted onto another genre. It would have fit in well on Tattoo You and would enhance what's good on Undercover.

bonus, mschrist, botley and 1 other person like this.
  6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

IORR: I just don't get all the bashing. For me, IORR is the Mick Taylor era-Some Girls twin album. Fresh, modern, diverse. Very ahead of this time, a different way to play Rock and Roll and their most guitar-driven LP.

Yes, by 1974 you had plenty of hard rock, country-rock, glam-rock, classic rock, southern-rock... but who did that "modern" R&R sound? Yes, The Rolling Stones.

7. botley

botley Forum Resident

Apparently, "Till the Next Goodbye" was on a list of songs that they were trying at rehearsals earlier this year. Maybe they'll bust it out on stage at last!

8. Omnivore

Omnivore Active Member

Watch "Spinal Tap"!

mschrist likes this.
  9. Omnivore

Omnivore Active Member

And actually you had most of those on "IORR"!

mick_sh likes this.
  10. Omnivore

Omnivore Active Member

Plus hard funk and reggae-rock

11. slane

slane Forum Resident

Much more like Van Morrison, IMO. I hear it in 'Winter' too off GHS.

tkl7 likes this.
  12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

There is a certain poetry to their career trajectory. My interest in them as a recording unit pretty much ends with Tattoo You but I think as a live act they're still very entertaining. The London years are also the Brian Jones years and there is where my heart lies. The artistic advancements they made over that 7 year period for me are quite remarkable. However, there was enough talent in that band that they were able to carry on without their founding member. At times, Mick can write insightful lyrics. I think the lyrics to Waiting On A Friend are beautiful and very mature and something the young Mick could never have written. ' A smile relieves a heart that grieves, remember what I said'. I will, Mick:)

13. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

Inaudible?

I've heard nothing but complaints since the licks tour that the backing musicians are louder than the Stones themselves.

14. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

Remember that GLIYWI is not actually a live album, but studio outtakes with crowd noise dubbed over it.

15. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

They also rehearsed it for the licks tour, I've seen rehearsal setlists that we're more or less the whole of IORR minus TWFNO and IFYRWTBMF

16. slane

slane Forum Resident

Only 2 tracks (I've Been Loving You Too Long & Fortune Teller) are studio recordings. They rest are live, though with overdubs.

17. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Two songs only. The other 10 songs are all live.

John Fell and Croidler like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ths Go Go single really was to me the capper of the Stones period as vital current music makers. It seemed huge when it came out, coming on the heels of the success of Tattoo You and a huge US tour, and I had never heard the original of the song at that point so it was all new to me.

Have never actually heard the Still Life LP, but I loved the single.

mschrist and bonus like this.
  19. Omnivore

Omnivore Active Member

Finally another poster with serious reservations about "Time Waits For No One" - was starting to think I was the only one! The lyrics are indeed trite. I like Taylor's backing lead work here, but the soloing does go on and on. I too like a solo with a structure (see "Gimme Shelter," studio "Sympathy for the Devil," or Taylor himself: studio "Heartbreaker," or right before the Ya-Yas "Midnight Rambler"'s final verse).

The wordless vocalizations are usually called scat singing, although they could include melisma which is moving around from note to note on the same word/syllable/sound.

20. Omnivore

Omnivore Active Member

Interesting. I never loved that Stones version, but it's a great song and I mighta dug it if it was my first exposure. A lot of Smokey Robinson has that great combination of super-punchy music and rich sweet harmonies, like a 60s-soul cousin of early Beatles. See "If You Can Want," "More Love," "Tears of a Clown".....

sami likes this.
  21. Omnivore

Omnivore Active Member

ROFL: I refuse to think about what those two anagrams mean, especially the second one

22. charliez

charliez Charlie Zip

Wow, I had the exact opposite reaction back in the day. When I heard that single, I thought "THIS is the world's greatest rock and roll band??"

Hearing the LP didn't make me feel any better.

Listening to other live releases from the era, I'm stunned at "Still Life". They could have put together a MUCH better album.

sami likes this.
  23. botley

botley Forum Resident

I think I promised earlier in the thread to do film myself lip-syncing and dancing like an idiot to the entirety of Emotional Rescue, but I only got as far as the first track, "Dance (pt. 1)":

Send money to stop me from uploading more!

Beech, KeninDC, Lil' Brian and 18 others like this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

^Brilliant.
    I was dancing around my basement last night too. Listening to the dance pt2. clip I posted. Then *gulp* I played going to a go- go and danced some more.

Then I realized I'm 52 yrs old and cut myself off :D

John Fell and botley like this.
  25. charliez

charliez Charlie Zip

Dude, that is seven flavours of awesome!

skybluestoday and John Fell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.