Rolling Stones Album-by-Album Thread (Part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I had a Still Life picture disc LP that has mysteriously gone missing. :realmad:

I'll do a shot tonight of the LP cover with a bottle of single barrel Jack Daniels for you guys...and me. :D

blackg, John Fell and Croidler like this.
  2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

you've got to make a screengrab for your avatar!

I've never really heard Still Life... guess now would be the time, if I can track down a copy.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  3. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I wouldn't say SL is better than LYL, but I like it better than the '78 tour recordings. It's short, yes, but full of charm: Ellington intro, Hendrix outro, Cochran and Smokey covers... lots of fun and boy, SL is more an invitation to a Stones show than a souvenir. You really want to go to another Rolling Stones concert when you listen to this record!!!

By the way, the 2011 flat transfer of this title sounds great.

blackg, D.B., stef1205 and 4 others like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Still Life is one of my least favorite Stones live albums. I feel the live Hampton Roads download is much better.

5. botley

botley Forum Resident

The '98 Virgin remaster (barcode 7243 8 45674 2 2) can be had VERY cheaply on the Discogs.com marketplace. I think it sounds even better than the SHM-SACD flat transfer, with much more midrange presence that helps bring out transparency in the guitars and bass.

wavethatflag likes this.
  6. charliez

charliez Charlie Zip

Yeah, this!

Seriously, Still Life makes Flashpoint sound like Live at Leeds. I've turned my opinion around on lots of Stones albums - Black and Blue particularly - but I still feel the same way I did when I first heads Still Life back in the day, which is "yech".

pdenny and John Fell like this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

On the bright side is the releases brevity. A quick listen and it's over. It's like the memory motel. You check in for a half hour and leave.

blackg, mschrist and bonus like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I was going to do one with a few joints, and drinking a-few-beers with it! It's legal in my home and in California. :agree: :laugh: :cool: :p :D

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Dog-at-Pub.jpg

blackg, bonus and John Fell like this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

That's quicksrt, sniffing out the joint for the rescheduled Aussie tour.

Fullbug and John Fell like this.
  12. botley

botley Forum Resident

He's upset that Jagger stopped barking through Rolling Stones shows!

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yup, I grew up with this one. It was the second Stones album I ever bought. Great review, thanks for not slagging it.

blackg and bonus like this.
  14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

While I'm glad "Still Life" didn't get totally slagged, I can't understand preferring it to "Some Girls Live In Texas" Like whatever you like, but no way is that particular '78 show sloppy! It's f'ing fantastic.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

So just curious as I haven't heard Still Life yet, but what is it that some people don't like about the album?

At first glance it looks like an interesting set list with a lot of songs not featured on prior live discs, and only a couple workhorses.

Mark

D.B. and bonus like this.
  16. botley

botley Forum Resident

It has some fine moments, but I can't remember ever listening to the whole thing all the way through without getting bored. Still Life has better pacing. I like to dip in and watch parts of Texas in isolation, or listen to one side of the double-LP on its own, and that's it. Still Life entertains me from top to bottom (especially the Virgin remaster).

The MEZ, blackg and D.B. like this.
  17. apple-richard

Gentlemen I couldn't wait so here you go.

Stones Still Life 001.JPG

The MEZ, Clanceman, Croidler and 6 others like this.
  18. George Blair

What do you drink with The Beach Boy's Love You?

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  19. apple-richard

It's my counter drink coaster because that album sucks. I love The Beach Boys but not that album. :wave:

KeninDC, Omnivore, bonus and 2 others like this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I saw the Stones at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas for the '81 tour so it was appropriately hot for the event. The Fabulous Thunderbirds opened and with their more simplified blues, which I like a lot btw, to their lack of a stage show, they looked pretty tiny on stage even though I wasn't that far away. ZZ Top handled the large stage a little better simply because their music was larger. Still, any band besides the Stones probably felt weird playing on that giant stage.
    I never bought Still Life though and even though the write up was good, it was honest enough to keep me from buying it.

Croidler likes this.
  21. George Blair

Well I like it, but Brian was hitting the soda pop pretty hard on that album. ;)

apple-richard likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

IMHO the performances sound more workmanlike than exciting even though I like the set list better than on the 1978 tour. The Hampton download has more energy in my opinion.

blackg, rollerball9000 and Six String like this.
  23. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I'm listening to (streaming) Still Life for the first time now because of this thread. I'd never given it a chance before based on bad reviews and a few video clips I'd seen which bored me.

After my first listen, Still Life seems an apt title. It's not horrible - it sounds like it must have been fun if you were there (let's make every song sound as frenetic as Shattered!). However, as an album, it comes off as energetic while mostly lacking in feeling. I can't fathom what stadiums have to do with rock and roll, and from here on out, the Stones' efforts don't change my mind much. Mick's vocals sound like he's running around, which he probably is, so they're just tuneless, like an aerobics instructor. Charlie and Bill sound tight, Keith and Ron are weaving nicely, the keys are just kind of there. I don't see any reason to revisit this one again any time soon.

mschrist and Expert Textpert like this.
  24. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

Except for the numerous missed cues, out of tune guitars and vocals, guys mopping up the stage in the background, etc. It's very sloppy, though not without it's charms.
    Check out the 2nd verse of "Let it Rock" Jagger comes in all most a full bar late, tonnes of **** like this on "Live in Texas". I'm not saying don't like it, but it's very sloppy.
    "Sweet Little Sixteen" can hang though.

botley likes this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I don't care good a shape you are in, you can't run around most of a show and still have vocals that will stand up to scrutiny on a recording. It's no wonder Britney and her ilk don't sing live much at their shows.

quicksrt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.