Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The topic usually comes up about once every year or two. Unfortunately we haven't gotten around to doing anything about it.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

One of my local Indy stations is currently playing all cover versions of Beggars Banquet. Just heard Joan Baez do No Expectations, now Lee Harvey Osmond and Mary Guathie singing Dear Doctor.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I have this: Various - 21 Beggars Banquet

4. Exile On My Street

Looks interesting. In checking I see the station didn't use any of those tracks.

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No station should claim that they will play 'all' covers, as there are a lot out there. This list isn't 100% complete, but it will give you a feel for the problem:

http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/covers/covers1.htm

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Both speed versions are essential, as the original release is how everyone heard it for over 30 years.

And as the owner of multiple digital versions, I’ll say this - if your ears have become accustomed to hearing modern CD mastering for the past 10-15 years, the intimacy of the music, like that acoustic guitar intro that opens “Prodigal Son”, is almost startling, on any version.

7. Exile On My Street

Bad wording on my part? The station didn't claim to be playing "all" covers ever made from BB...But instead of playing the album, they chose a cover for each song on the album and then followed it up with a Stones rock block of rarities (for FM radio anyways). It was a nice few hours of radio programming.

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Not everyone, as the recent thread here on the original US LP pressings with the correct speed showed.

Ah, that's very different! :thumbsup:

lukpac likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yep, no need to drive at the one speed!

10. But, but, but I read it on the Internet! It must be true!

This is very confusing. I looked on Discogs, and there are nine different ABCO SACD's from 2002 listed. Which one are we talking about here? If I wanted to purchase one, I don't know what to order. Do all nine have the same mix/mastering, or is there one in particular that I should get?

As I said, I'm happy with the London CD, but now I'm curious after reading these posts that claim the SACD puts it in the shade.

11. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Bump.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not aware of any differences. The SACDs were pressed by a few different plants, and later CDs replaced the original SACDs. All of those will have unique entries on Discogs.

I find the use of "night and day difference" to usually be unnecessary hyperbole, but I think it applies in this case.

Shawn, GetHappy!! and Mark E. Moon like this.
  13. JOHN LOWE

JOHN LOWE Active Member

I've checked on the Discogs site and could not find any reference to DECCA in the credits.
    The label was mentioned in the early publicity which surprised me as the label hasn't really featured since the 60's product started being issued by ABKCO worldwide, from around the mid 80's I believe. Also, not sure if another name from The Stones past...London Records...are in the frame.
    Any comments?

14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

The only difference seems to be the obi. There's no obi in the US edition, and that's strange because it has on the back the same pamphlet as the Japanese edition (with Japanese blurb) with a picture of the obi. Sloppy!

By the way, I’m glad I bought this. Yes, it’s compressed, but I see it as a different approach rather than compressing by the sake of compressing. I kind of like when mastering engineers like Chris Bellman (Petty), Bernie Grundman (Hendrix) or Bob Ludwig go DR8.

15. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Did you buy the "USA Version" or the Japan version? I've noticed that the one I bought from Amazon is in 8-inch packaging. It's on the shelf next to 7-inch ones (Satanic Majesties, Bill Joel, Santana, etc) so that's how I know it's an extra inch.

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Shame on you for having a life!

bobcat, vudicus and lukpac like this.
  17. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Actually, the OBI is included inside the sleeve. It isn't a wrap-around, just a piece that would cover the front left if it had been under the shrink wrap

I bought the "USA version" from Amazon.com as well. I'm very curious to see if the "Japan Edition" is in fact 8" and not 7" as it's described. I think the only differences is that they have a barcode sticker on the shrinkwrap (0 18771 84982 7) that covers the barcode on the inside label.

Another possible difference, is that this one is shrink-wrapped as opposed to the resealable style that the Japan versions frequently use, but I don't know for sure.

Edit:
    I found an ebay pic of the Japan version. It looks like they're also shrink-wrapped but with the OBI under the shrink wrap and the blue sticker in the upper right corner. Still curious about the actual size (7" or 8")

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    mick_sh and superstar19 like this.
  18. Japanese edition is 8", bigger than the Satanic Majesties release. I have them next to each other on a bookshelf at the moment and the difference is very apparent.

19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Quite honestly, if that was a slight at me i DON'T take offense.
    And yes, the slow version is my go to. The fast one is a joke. All of the sudden after 30+ years they discover this mistake, gotta bridge to sell ya dude.....Funny how they can drop
    Bsheet on fans and how many just drink theKool-Aid.
    Just like the 'overwhelming demand by fans' that they include a mono Beggars and Bleed BEFORE THE BOX WAS EVEN ANNOUNCED!
    oh yeah, they consulted me and i DEMANDED they put a fake mono Beggars and Bleed in the box set......
    Total marketing bull schitt.
    And so many suckers just take it as gospel.
    Beave

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The only joke is thinking issuing Beggars Banquet at the correct speed, and not to mention significantly upgraded quality, is “Bsheet”.

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

No slight maybe a (slight return)

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The correct speed version was issued at release time, just not everywhere!

marcfeld69, marcb, lukpac and 3 others like this.
  23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Thank you for the info. I bought it in CDJapan because it was the cheapest option for EU buyers but it seems that both are exactly the same.

24. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

So the 2018 Japanesd sacd is the same speed as the US sacd (2018 version)? Is the US 2002 sacd same speed? I have the US 2002 sacd and I can't decide which one to buy? Both 2018 sacds version(Jp &US) come with the extra tracks(2nd sacd). Just checked CD Japan and there's only 1 stock temaining.

25. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Yes to all.

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.