Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair 1973 - What's the story ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

2. WelshChris

WelshChris Forum Resident

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The 2011 mp3’s also weren’t limited dynamically.

FWIW, my conclusion is the only difference between the 2011 and the 2020 releases of Brussels is the 2020 has about 4dB of peak limiting added and the 2011 had none.

There is no official source for the 2011 version now - flac or otherwise.

TonyCzar and kevin5brown like this.
  4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

A friend gave me a sample of the original flac, and amazingly enough, the 320 kbps MP3 has the same DR, which is better than the CD versions.

5. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

The two CD version of GHS does come with an small insert that includes pictures from the sessions but no text.
    @Travelin Man was nice enough to post a link to a pdf of the actual book in the GHS thread.

https://iorr.org/albums/goats-heat-soup2.pdf

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Of course, they’re almost certainly the thing - just a different resolution.

Once I do a needledrop of the LP, I’ll try to post the 2011, 2020 digital & 2020 vinyl waveforms. I can tell you the 2011 looks like what everyone would want and the 2020 has a crewcut if you volume match it with the 2011.

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ok but it was also swiftly copied & made into both (heavyweight) vinyl and CD by the Red Tongue Label into an affordable 3LP/2CD box set somewhat to ape the official $exy release.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Your point is?

9. My box set sounds really good. Of course, the Brussels Affair is the highlight. When it comes to the remix of GHS, I love how Nicky's piano and the Bill's bass parts come to the forefront. Some of the nuances of the backgrounds are tinkered with, but it doesn't bother me. I can always listen to the original when I want. The GHS box is the best Stones box of them all so far. I don't see how another one could dethrone it.

laf848, Jack, The MEZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. All Down The Line

That it doesn't have the differing (compression/limiting whatever) features of the 2020 BA that people here are complaining about so is an alternative to the original mega expensive vinyl!
    How's that.......?

quicksrt likes this.
  11. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I got my GHS today, and the first thing I did was listen to Brussels Affair.
    I am not an expert of the recording and I was wondering if someone could help me with the following inquiry regarding the Gimme Shelter track.

I always thought that this version was the one on Brussels Affair (but is labeled as London September 9 as well on other YT videos)

and which is different from teh released one here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdKYApjvbU

Are these versions both from Brussels but from different shows? Or is the first one from London indeed?

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

There were two Brussels shows and the first official release (on Google MP3s) relied more heavily on the late/2nd show than most people were used to hearing. MJ's vocals were a little rougher but the changes stood out immediately to anyone familiar with the "King Biscuit" radio concert.

Daniel Falaschi likes this.
  13. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Vinyl box or cd box

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

OK but...that’s an obscure, long of out print pirate, no?

15. All Down The Line

Not sure just how obscure but nevertheless it is a highly worthwhile early vinyl pressing to be aware of that should be well cheaper than the original official release for those dissatisfied with the 2020 vinyl/CD plus they get way more live 73' goodies.
    N.b. I think 600 were made of this 3LP/2CD set called The Brussels Evening Affair.

rtalwani likes this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ok, but...if they made just 600 of these, like, 8 years ago, they can’t be easy to find - or cheap if you can even find one for sale.

And again, it’s not just a bootleg of something not available officially, it’s a pirate of a legitimate release.

Jack likes this.
  17. All Down The Line

Of course it's a pirate of an official release that was my whole point as if located it would still be cheaper than an official original (and likely with the exact same sound) and it is worth being aware of to those serious collectors that, and I repeat dislike the 2020 version......jeez Louise!

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Must be from the high-res download before the added compression of the previous cuts - especially the Japanese box set issue.

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. All Down The Line

Likely easier for them than obtaining and copying the original Vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.