Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair 1973 - What's the story ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I like the Stones very much but I'm not particularly fond of their live albums. Of the live records I have either owned or heard (Ya Ya's, Love you Live, Still Life, Flashpoint, No Security) "Brussels Affair" is easily the best.

The band sounds tight and Mick Taylor is in great shape. Having said that, I would not advice you to pay 1,500 dollars for it.

2. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

I've got the cd's and lp's, all in a beautiful box set that's so huge it needs it's own room to store it in. Don't ask what I paid for it.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It's good for them but, some of their peers are far superior live and have better releases.

DTK likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Arguably the best live Stones recording available. Strange that aside from the previous download, the band has essentially held the recording hostage as an incredibly high-priced prize for a limited number of fans willing to pay exorbitant prices for physical versions. This is the sort of live audio document that should be an affordable, mainstream product showcasing the band's live prowess. Also, the band's version contains tracks from two performances; perhaps they should release a deluxe release with the complete two sets.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Never heard the official release on this but have long had an excellent copy from the old masters from the radio broadcast....never compared the different versions between the two releases either, but the old radio broadcast was, I always thought, not only the best live Stones recording I've ever heard, but one of the truly great live rock albums of all time.

6. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

The official is almost entirely the second show which was not available on radio shows or boots. I also have a KBFH cd of the radio show and I can tell they're from different shows.

7. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

The original broadcast on the King Biscuit Flower Hour was in 4.0 SQ Quad.

8. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

My favorite live Stones by far is the afternoon show from "out there". My second favorite live Stones in the officially released evening show.

As a previous poster said, they were on fire. Mick Taylor's playing on these sets is pretty incredible.

9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I think there is a logical reason behind why the live bootlegs disappear from Google Play.
    They have obviously 're-imagined' the whole concept as 'From The Vault' instead.

'Hampton '81' and 'L.A. '75' have already appeared, with 'Marquee '71' coming up next.

Further issues will be 'Leeds '82', 'Tokyo '90' and 'Toronto '05'.

I'll bet my 2 cents, that 'Brussels '73' will also get a physical release in EU/US at some point. It's just a matter of time.

Remember 2 months ago, when Sticky Fingers Deluxe was announced, and people immediatly started complaining about the 2 track Marquee dvd? It was just a matter of time before the full concert was announced released.
    But as always, people enjoy to complain.

And actually, these 'From The Vault' sets are actually very cheap. No need to complain about high prices.

Of course a boxed set of 'Brussels' complete with Jagger's autograph, will cost you. But until very recently, the recording was available for 9$ as a download.

10. misko

misko Forum Resident

Brussels', in its original bootleg release is one of the greatest live concert recordings of all time. The pace is incredible and never lets up. Taylor soars with his leads. I have several releases but my favorite right now is a 3 disc set from Japan that has the original King Biscuit broadcast, the new flac download and the board recordings from London. Excellent quality throughout.
    I could not purchase the flac download where I live, so the 3 silver pressed discs are great.

quicksrt likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Their peers? You mean the Allmans' Live at Fillmore East? The Who Live at Leeds? CSNY's 4 Way Street? Dylan and the Band's Before the Flood? Cream's Wheels of Fire? Zep's The Song Remains the Same? Wings Over America? The Concert for Bangla Desh? I like all of those albums, but if I were going to a desert island, Brussels Affair would be my choice (although I might try to sneak in sides 1/4 of At Fillmore East in my suitcase"

12. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I have numerous versions of this album and have to say it would be a desert island disc for me. I saw them during this period and they were and still are to me the best rock band I have ever seen.

rstamberg likes this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, I saw them in 73 when I was 12 years old so the nostalgia factor comes into play for me as well. But I think it's good enough to be a contender for greatest live album even w/o the memories. Maybe I can't view it objectively.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Same here.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

It's albums like Brussels Affair (official or unofficial versions) that show why, when they wanted to be, the Stones really were "The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World".

16. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

There was also a version broadcast on BBC Radio 1, and it's still occasionally broadcast on BBC6 Music, the last time being three or four years ago.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The King Biscuit Flower Hour mixes not only use the better takes (early show), and includes some equally great London recordings, but also feature a better mixed balance of band and audience. More ambiance and crowd response imo. I prefer the original radio show over the archive release.

18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure It still is available.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I know it is still available, not sure it costs $9 anymore though.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My best sounding copy of the KBFH mixes is not the most complete version of the show. But it's a good hot transfer from the masters.

[​IMG]

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  21. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I've only got the download, but I'm quietly confident that it will get a sensibly priced physical release, in the not to distant future. Is it too much to hope for both Brussels shows being released? Probably, but you never know...

I think it's the best live Stones album there is. Just ahead of Ya-Ya's. The sound is great, the band are in awesome touch (Taylor's playing, in particular, is glorious) and the rendition of "Midnight Rambler", as others have noted, is the single best performance of the Stones career.

I reckon it's in the top handful of all-time live albums. In my view, it's on the same level as The Who's Live At Leeds, The Allman's Live At Fillmore and Jerry Lee Lewis' Live At The Star Club. All we need now is it available - inexpensively - on CD.

22. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

One thing that I find amazing about Brussels is that the performance is extremely high octane, making ya-ya's sound tame by comparison. It's a behemoth of rock n roll! I still love Ya-ya's mind, it's just an amazing transformation from 69-73 though

Dave Hoos likes this.
  23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I'll doubt both shows will get released.
    However, the main thing is, that the last 6 years have been a fantastic time to be a Stones fan.
    Granted, we do not always agree on what they do with the archive material, but 10 or 15 years ago, it was near unthinkable to even imagine how many archive releases we have gotten since 2009:

Charlie Is My Darling - Live In England 1965
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! 40th Anniversary
    Marquee 1971
    Brussels Affair 1973
    L.A. Friday 1975
    Hampton 1981
    Leeds 1982
    Tokyo 1990
    Toronto 2005
    Sticky Fingers Deluxe Edition
    Exile On Main Street Deluxe Edition
    Some Girls Deluxe Edition

Plus:

The Singles 1971-2006
    Sweet Summer Sun - Hyde Park 2013
    SHM Flat Transfers of 1971-1981 albums
    Exclusive Downloads of stray tracks
    GRRR! Greatest Hits 1963-2012
    Vinyl box sets of original albums
    Clear vinyl releases of Decca/London albums

- Given how re-releases almost hit rock-bottom with the poor 'Rarities 1971-2003' in 2005, we are in the middle of an amazing run of releases, which we didn't think were possible a decade ago.

Dave Hoos, intv7, Jonboy and 3 others like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Brussels box is nice. I wouldn't have bought one but I couldn't find a good seat to the second O2 concert in 2012 unless I bought a package including the set (not autographed). I figure that it probably cost me about $700. I would say that it is probably worth $300-$400 or so; if you can find one for that price, I would recommend it. It's lacks the finish and feel of the Genesis books, which they were clearly trying to emulate. But, the entire set (including a custom shipping box the size of a carry-on suitcase) is so over the top that a Stones fan would enjoy having it in the collection.

Mosthaf likes this.
  25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It's as good of effort as I heard from the Stones but, IMO their an average live band at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.