Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair 1973 - What's the story ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I prefer to say the best at everything band-live, album and singles. I just responded elsewhere but, their an average live band.

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

[​IMG]

3. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

I was fortunate to see the Stones live in 1972. Hundreds of concerts later, it is still the best live show I have ever seen. Maybe not now, but at the time they were "The world's greatest rock and roll band." I still haven't seen anyone top that 1972 concert.

ODShowtime, paulg61, Amnion and 4 others like this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Their a great band and Mick is an above average front man but, the rest of the band are below average performers. Great musicians but, not great performers.

5. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

H
    Here's to hoping that "The Philadelphia Special" with opener Stevie Wonder gets an archive release.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'd settle for the unreleased 1972 live album.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Wait. I'm a Stones novice and I'm confused. The Brussels show is available on cd as part of a combo package with the Marquee show through a Japan on-line seller, correct? I think I heard that from the beave.

8. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

+1 A complete or nearly completed collection of tracks must rest in the vaults somewhere, as various boots like "Keep Your Motor Runnin" and "Very Ancient, Thank You Kindly" demonstrate, the latter even including some tracks with overdubs. There's also evidence of a prepared artwork for that cancelled release (Keep Your Motor Runnin' uses a variation of it). So it's all nearly there, it seems.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Now that would have been a neat bonus for the deluxe Exile set. I still can't get over how underwhelming the Exile deluxe set was (and I do dig the re-worked tracks); it was an epic album with a ton of intriguing possibilities when it came to bonus material. At least the band seems to have mostly got it right (or rather, headed in the right direction) with the upcoming Sticky Fingers set.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Mick Taylor is Allman Brother-worthy in this concert!

11. botley

botley Forum Resident

Yes. I posted links on page one of this thread.

jamesmaya likes this.
  12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I believe they are one in the same.

13. street legal

street legal Senior Member

You say they are great musicians, but not great performers.

In all seriousness, please, talk to me like I am 5 years old ........... what exactly is the difference between a "musician" & a "performer"?

dead of night likes this.
  14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'd kinda say the opposite. I don't think any one of them is a great musician -- if you're measuring great musicianship on the basis of chops, versatility, range, or the like, though they are distinctive stylists (maybe Mick Taylor was a great slide guitarist on a technical level, and versatile and a bit of a prodigy)...and Mick's way better than an "above average frontman" -- he's rock's greatest-ever, most imitated, standard-setting front man.

As a live act they've long been renowned for being spotty. I remember a quote from Mick Taylor when he joined the band not being able to believe it was the same band that made all those great records, because they were so bad! From year to year, from night to night, even from tune to tune, over the course of their 50 year career, they've never exactly been the model of live consistency, musically or in terms of putting on a show. But when they're did catch fire, they were freakin' great.

Bowland, 303 Squadron and Dave Hoos like this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Some of the unreleased album was from the Fort Worth show if I remember correctly but most was from Philadelphia.

PacificOceanBlue and mdm08033 like this.
  17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Technically they sound good but, how do they entertain while doing it? Do they they leap around stage or do they look like zombies. I think the later.

18. street legal

street legal Senior Member

OK, I get it. I guess being a "performer" matters to some people, but I am not one of them.
    It's the music that matters to me, not theatrics.

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Mick isn't an original as he took from Tina Turner and others plus strippers. So I don't see anything original about him. When I think of the best front men or woman, I think of Freddie Mercury, Chuck Berry, Prince, Little Richards and Tina Turner.

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I go to a concert to hear the music not watch the circus.

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No one's purely original, everyone builds on models...hell, even someone as otherworldly as Sun Ra had models and antecedents, doesn't take away from someone's greatness, impact, or the degree to which he or she is emulated. When I think of front man, I think of fronting a band, not just greatest performer. I mean JB was a greater performer than just about any one and probably better than anyone on the above list to me, but I personally wouldn't use the phrase "front man" to describe him...he was the act. The same with Elvis who also had obvious antecedents and was uniquely himself at the same time and couldn't have been more widely imitated.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Dave Hoos and Maseman66 like this.
  22. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

It's an amazing list in such a short time period. Not forgetting the three DVD releases...

Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones
    Crossfire Hurricane
    Shine A Light

When I recently purchased the Platinum SHM-CD of Sticky Fingers, my wife asked me why I'm buying yet another version of this album, to which I replied, because this is the best sounding version. When she then said that's what you always say, my response was...yeah, but this time it's true!

supermd, bluesbro, tdavis0903 and 3 others like this.
  23. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Where is "Some Girls in Texas"

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  25. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Or Stones In Exile? Good to see that I can still forget the nearly obvious!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.