Rolling Stones Brussels Affair '73 box sets

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jack, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack

Jack Senior Member Thread Starter

The price at the band's website is still prohibitive but it looks like ticket buyers that bought the Brussels packages for the recent shows are now unloading them. Just picked up one for $299.00.

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Last night I found two sellers who had broken their boxes. One kept the cd's and was selling the vinyl/book/box for a buy it now of $249.....it didn't last 12 hours. The other seller was just selling the triple vinyl and it went to auction for $176. Still too much for this boy........
    The Beave

3. Jack

The copy I got was still sealed.

4. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

What do these look like?

5. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Look at Ebay. Plenty of boxes.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

1 a.jpg Here it is.

7. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Are you going to listen to the vinyl?

8. Jack

Yes, one of the two main reasons for buying it, the vinyl and the book. The cds, too, will be sweet. They are tucked within the album sleeves.

9. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

You lucked out at 299. Prices are now more than that.

10. Jack

There's one at BIN for $315

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Tempting. Very tempting.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

But the bullet and bought one off eBay.

13. Jack

I KNEW you would.

rstamberg likes this.
  14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

So tempting. I'd love to have the records and book.

15. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

And I just pulled the trigger and bought it. (or at least, bought one at that price). $35 was added for standard UPS ground shipping....$350 total.

16. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Thanks very much for this, Jack. Many of us would totally have missed this.

So now that I've got mine, what do we know about this set? The search function is giving me an error this morning when I search for "Brussels Affair" and even "Brussels" :thumbsdow

I have read the rollingstones dot com site, but what I can't quite figure out is the total number of these sets that are out there.

From a few sites I have seen:

1,727 copies of the Collector’s Edition, with even fewer copies of the Platinum (173) and Art (73) Editions available for sale.

But if the ones we are buying aren't signed, are they even "Collector's Editions?". I thought collector's edition meant Mick signed it, Platinum meant Mick and some other dudes signed it, and I'm not sure what the art edition is at all...

So are there a total of 1727 of these boxes out there, with some of them signed by Mick, and then other magic dust sprinkled on the Platinums and Arts?

Also, I want to know about the vinyl. I am cringing as I ask this, because I'm not terribly optimistic about the answer - is the vinyl all-analog, or cut from a PCM transfer? If it's digital, do we know if it was DSD or what bitrate the PCM was?

I know I will enjoy the book, regardless. If it's an analog LP set (or even a DSD transfer) I'll be a LOT happier, though.

ccm

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My big BRUSSELS AFFAIR box just arrived. I'm almost scared to open the box it's in. But I will.

ODShowtime likes this.
  18. coffeecupman

rstamberg, if you're going to play the records, many of us here would LOVE if you could compare the sound with the CDs.

ccm

19. Jack

All three vinyl albums have "mixed and mastered by Bob Clearmountain" on the labels, while the cds do not.

20. coffeecupman

Thanks, Jack.

I have heard the name Bob Clearmountain, but don't know his work. Is he a forum fave for sound quality? Does he usually use digital in his work? DSD? I'm searching myself right now but if anyone has the answers before I find them please post them here.

ccm

21. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I believe that applies to the online digital release, as well as the CD issue. It's doubtful the LPs were from an analog master, but hopefully a HiRes digital master was used. I would be shocked if a DSD master was made for this project, but one never knows ...

22. coffeecupman

I hope you are wrong, deadcoldfish, but you may of course be right. If Hi-Rez PCM was used it would be nice to know the bitrate, just for interest's sake.

ccm

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There are a total of 1973 collectors sets (=73+173+1727) to match the year of the show.

The Art Package was $1500, and contained a hand-signed silver gelatin print by Michael Putland, the book hand-signed by Mick, vinyl, watch and litho.

The Platinum Package was $1250, and contained a tour litho signed by Mick, book signed by Mick, vinyl and watch.

The Collector's Package was $750, and contained the book signed by Mick, vinyl, watch and litho.

The Art Package was sold out by November last year.

24. coffeecupman

Thanks, Black Elk.

What confuses me then, given this info, is that the issues popping up on ebay now are "the unsigned version"

So if all of those 1973 sets are signed by Mick, how many unsigned sets were released? I can't find any info on that anywhere.

ccm

25. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I suppose it would be too much to expect the vinyl only to be offered at a price that those of us among the proletariat could afford..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.