Rolling Stones DSD Remasters (Not SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RustNeverSleeps, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps New Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can obtain the Rolling Stones 2002 DSD remasters that contain only the redbook layer. I live in the UK and have only ever seen these in a few outlets.

2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

If you want to buy them online, there's no way in hell to tell for sure if you will be getting the redbook only or the SACD hybrid. Either hunt for them in retail stores, or wait a few months till the SACD are out of stock. You can always do the 'buy and return' painful and time consuming route.

3. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The only way to be sure is to go into a bricks & mortar store. I just bought a Q magazine Rolling Stones special issue and there is an ABKCO advertisement for all the Stones SACD's. Maybe they aren't OOP in the UK yet.

4. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

I believe that lp's were issued from the dsd remasters, same time the sacd's came out.
    Just what the world needed, DSD digital sourced vinyl.
    Wonder if it sounds better than PCM digital sourced vinyl....
    ........perhaps more analog sounding!

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I assume the new Japanese Mini LP's are not SACD but they are pricey.

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

They are DSD. :agree:

mud-:D

7. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Let me clarify my thinking about this. The Rolling Stones Japanese Mini Lps are DSD? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means they have a dual-layer of both red book and DSD, but they are not considered SACD because there's no multi-channel. Have I got it right?

8. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I don't think any of the Stones SACD's were multichannel. They were all stereo only.

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

No. The SACDs are dual layer (SACD and redbook layers). The Stones SACDs (with the exception of the 'Sypmathy For The Devil' remix) are not surround. The DSD is a redbook CD (both Japanese mini-LP or jewel case).

10. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Please don't take this as a threadcrap, but why would you want these? Unless, of course, your player has problems reading hybrid discs.

11. MisterBritt

Okay, I'll go back to the drawing board in terms of understanding the difference between SACD and DSD. I had thought they both used the same higher sample rate -- only SACD was for multi-channel while DSD was just two channel.

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

The term "DSD" really confuses the issue. When you see "DSD" think regular cd. It's a Sony term.

mud-:D

13. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Jewel cases.

I'm entirely serious. For Dylan fans without an SACD player, the "regular" remasters--which feature both jewel cases and a reduced price--are a no brainer. For Stones fans without an SACD player, the regular remasters--which feature a jewel case--are almost a no brainer.

14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The Stones SACD are PCM sourced right? If so doesn't that cancel out any benefits of DSD?

15. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

The only DSD sourced vinyl that I have heard sounded very good indeed. It was New Favorite by Alison Krauss & Union Station a few years ago at the London Hi-Fi News Show.

16. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Let me say this cuz nobody else has:

The cds come from DSD files, but are downsampled/dithered to the Redbook cd spec of 44.1/16bit.

Plain enough? :agree:

17. Vivaldinization

Yeah.

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The digipak on Satanic Majesties is way nicer looking than the jewel case version, which lost that silver foil look. Same price.

19. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I agree that while the digipacks are a pain in the #@s in some respects, they do offer a nicer looking package than your typical jewel box packaging. Kind of like a miniature vinyl package. I have a major love/hate relationship with digipacks. I love the way they look, but I hate the fact that if the inner hub breaks, you're screwed. And I don't like the fact that when you have a bunch of them sitting together on a shelf, sandwiched between other jewel box titles, they don't like to stand up on their own & fall over when you remove a CD or two sitting next to them.

20. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I thought they went from the master tapes to DSD.

21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I don't think that's possible with all the folded in channels and NR. Maybe they did for a couple of titles..

22. MisterBritt

Just a heads-up, but it looks like another batch of Rolling Stones Japan Mini LPs are coming next month. Electric Obiland indicates they'll be from the 2002 DSD remaster, but dual layer -- if that's interesting to you.

http://www.obiland.com (go to preorder link on the right column)

23. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

Hold on a second.

It states quite clearly on the liner notes of the hybrids that DSD was used to "capture every nuance of the master tape."

So for the SACD layer, it goes Master > DSD > SACD
    For the redbook layer, it goes Master > DSD > Redbook

The hybrids are in DigiPaks with NO reference to DSD or SACD on the outside of the package.

For the new non-hybrids (in the jewel cases), it clearly says on the package that they were mastered with DSD. So it's essentially just the Redbook layer of the hybrids.

24. JWB

JWB New Member

I doubt it. There's definitely something fishy going on. Some titles have NR, folded in channels, or digital clicks. Some mono tracks have stereo anomolies/glitches on certain titles/pressings and are true mono on others. They messed these discs up big time. Bob Ludwig plays dumb when he is asked about it. I look at Jon Astley's name in the liner notes and I wonder...

25. Vivaldinization

What JWB said, although I doubt Astley had anything to do with it.

The booklets also claim that DSD was the reason why ABKCO reissued the Stones discs when they did. I don't buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.