Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue" Song By Song Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I heard Margaret was frowned on for sunbaking sans top in the priministerial grounds.

2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

"Hey George.......do you think I'm a chance with Mick's old lady"?

[​IMG]

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Yep, "Disco" Jack Ford.
    Madcap Maggie did a lot of things at 24 Sussex Drive (Canada's version of the White House) people frowned on (wanton nudity, drug use, shtupping some of the security detail etc). Maggie Trudeau's adventures with the Stones nearly brought her estranged hubby's government down in 1977...I wonder how many Stones records Justin Trudeau (our current PM) has in his collection:laugh:

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

Ooh, i like your sources!

5. ohnothimagen

Us Canuckleheads know these things:laugh:

Hey, in spite of the bad craziness the Stones (mainly Keith) endured in Toronto back in '77, they still make a point of doing all their tour rehearsals and whatnot there...they could have easily boycotted T.O. altogether after that.

6. All Down The Line

Nah, it is perfect for them to get in shape on the quiet for US tours!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love this album. Spinning an original sterling pressed E.R. thoroughly cleaned vinyl now.

8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Oct.24 : Bill Wyman is 82 today .... :cheers:

9. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

My favorite Bill story is when he explained why he held his bass neck so upright instead of out to the side like usual. He did it to block the lights some so that he could check out the chicks.

10. ohnothimagen

Indeed, and IMO Bill's bass never sounded better than it did on the Emotional Rescue LP.

GoodKitty likes this.
  11. All Down The Line

And mouth his room number!

12. ohnothimagen

Aw, he just wanted to take pictures of their legs, after all:laugh:

I think it's safe to say that a lot of Bill Wyman's exploits with the ladies over the years wouldn't exactly fly in 2018.

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. Matt Burris

Matt Burris New Member

Oooohohoho....it's bad. By any measure but for a Stones album it's bad..not nearly as bad as 'who's the boss' but I think Mick got much too much of his way on 'dirty work' and that Keith phoned in a few riffs and called it a day.
    'Talk is Cheap' is soooo much better than DW. I thought 'Undercover' was the nadir of where the boys had fallen but nothing prepared me for DW. The atrocious album cover (what the F is Jagger doing there, huh? Bill and Charlies poses say it all-Bills got one foot out the door and Charlie is so embarrased he can't even look at the camera. Did Jagger go out and buy the whole team uniforms or what?) really really does justice to the crap inside on the vinyl.
    Best song on that release? Arguably Harlem Shuffle, a poorly done cover. Look at those titles, they scream dysfunction: Fight, too rude, one hit to the body, HAD IT WITH YOU!! We get it you two, you're feuding...but in case anyone missed it we'll go ahead and call this dog sludge "Dirty Work". See what we did there? This album doesn't 'grow on you' the way Em. Rescue did, it grows AWAY from you. You kinda slowly, yeah, yeah, now I see I really DO F hate this album. Just had to give it some time to wheeze. Like a chain smoker with emphysema.

14. Matt Burris

Matt Burris New Member

Then how did they end up picking the WRONG 10 cuts for E.R. then? JAG---GER!!
    I kid. I like E.E. too. I carried a cassette of it around in my new Walkman thingee for a year, till the song listing and title faded out.. I still remember weakly laughing and pretending to go along with the pubescent, awkwardly homophobic, Stones disdain that the budding metal heads liked to comfort each other with. ER ( the song) was their primary target because it was getting a little MTV play early on. It was such a no balls jr. high thing to do on my part because 'I actually kinda like that tune, Mick's a GOOD singer, not a fag you morons", I'd say this, sooooome tiiimes to -to- to myself, I'd say woo hoo hoo....."Not as good as 'let me go' or 'summer romance' or 'im so hot for her', but still, the discoish song with the weird 'knight in shining ar-mor' part is waaaay better than REO Speedfagon or that REAL prancing queer, Rod Stewart, you butt-heads."
    Cold cold cold like an ICE CREAM CONE!

Zack and enro99 like this.
  15. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Really appreciating this album at the moment. I have the original 1986-1987? CBS CD and it sounds great.

IMO the 'weaving' guitars technique of KR and RW on this record is sublime. All in all a pretty solid album and probably underappreciated because it is sandwiched between the comeback album Some Girls, and the also great Tattoo You, which most people will know due to the lead off single "Start Me Up". I think the Emotional Rescue album could have benefitted from re-sequencing. Ending the album with 2 of the album's singles then "All About You" seems to lessen the albums overall impact to me.

The MEZ, Davido, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Emotional Rescue...one of the greatest “sounding” vinyl in my 2000 plus collection. I have a huge amount of respect for the album and period in the Stones history. F’n masterpiece, period!

17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Decided to fire up my Japanese SACD of ER this evening. Never a bad idea. The whole thing is a goddamn masterpiece. I play it far more often than say...Some Girls.

joethomas1, bonus and footlooseman like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Never liked it. I like maybe 3 songs.

maui jim likes this.
  19. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Agreeing with John on this one. Major disappointment. Those 3 songs are excellent but Indian Girl. Jeez never should have been released

20. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I hate this album, their worst, apart from Dirty Work and Bridges to Babylon.

Indiana Girl is about the only redeeming track.

The title track still makes me cringe, how Keith could allow that one through the net. Jagger trying to be Prince, so embarrassing.

I’ll never understand why masters like The Stones insist on rehashing trash like She’s So Cold once in a while in concert, instead of playing something from the 60’s.

21. Zack

Zack Senior Member

You should post more, Matt.

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I am playing this album just now (and therefore stuck the title into the thread search).

I LOVE this album (and Undercover) and play it quite a lot. Funnily when I first bought it, I wasn't quite so keen, so actually ended up playing it more than some others in a n effort to get into it....and then when I did I realised it is a GEM within the Stone catalogue.

Davido, Jam757, mbrownp1 and 2 others like this.
  23. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

Davido and bonus like this.
  24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Danced my ass off to this masterpiece today with my four year old girl. Incredible album!

25. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Found this thread doing a search. Playing it again. Wow, I love the groove of this album. I loved IORR, but got tired of it. This is just worth repeated listenings. A fun album!!

Solace, Jam757 and bonus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.