Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue" Song By Song Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Outtake Jah Is Not Dead

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Lonely At The Top

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Outtake Linda Lou

Sean, YardByrd, bonus and 2 others like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Munich Hilton outtake

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Gangster's Moll outtake

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Dancing Girls outtake

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Let's Go Steady Again - outtake

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Never Too Into outtake

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's Cold Down There outtake

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It Won't Be Long outtake

11. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Dance is a wonderful track. So sleazy and funky in a Stones way. If I Was A Dancer is even better. Let Me Go is a great mid tempo rocker with interweaving guitars. Charlie rocking and shuffling on the skins. All About You was the beginning of Keith's awesome ballads. Summer Romance, Down in the Hole and Where the Boys Go all fun good time rock n roll, but the class is She's So Cold, especially live recently. The title track is all time classic Stones, not so hot live. Perhaps only Indian Girl is a stretch but makes it up on vintage Stones reggae with Send it to Me.

The MEZ, enro99, Sean and 5 others like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

@John Fell Cheers for posting the outtakes, John- I just have to wait until I get home from work to check 'em out! All I see right now are a bunch of blank grey screens:laugh:

About a year ago the GM here caught one of the girls working the front desk in the morning playing Candy Crush- ever since then every social media and streaming site has been blocked on our work computers. Thanks, Kathy!:rolleyes::realmad:

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

We are blocked from Facebook at my work.

Sean, Zoot Marimba and ohnothimagen like this.
  14. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

and Mick and Keith took that to heart every time Bill said he wanted to write songs with them or contribute songs he had written on his own.

Sean, Zoot Marimba and ohnothimagen like this.
  15. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Great album. Sometimes i prefer it to Some Girls, even though both are in my top tierRS albums past exile. Like others have siad ER is a perfect summer BBQ album. love the funkiness of Dance, great funk guitar by Keith.

The MEZ, Sean, Muggles and 3 others like this.
  16. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Summer Romance

A song I like but to me it has that leftover Some Girls feel to it, a second tier Respectable or Whip. This doesn't make it a bad song but it's a perfect example of one of the reasons ER stands in the shadow of Some Girls.

Average rocker but because it's the Stones we can tack on another 1/2 point so 3.5/5 for moi.

According to The Rolling Stones: All The Songs that's Keith on lead guitar.

17. Exile On My Street

This was really an ER outtake as well but it ended up as a bonus track on the Some Girls deluxe.

The MEZ, Sean, blutiga and 3 others like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

So was I Think I'm Going Mad but it ended up as the b-side of She Was Hot from the Undercover album.

19. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

"Summer Romance" is like the coming out party for Charlie Watts' famous UFIP China crash cymbal, that he picked up at a store in Paris during the tail end of the Some Girls sessions. It's probably on "Dance" but you can't really hear it, this song is where it really starts to shine -- it's all over this album. Just listen for that telltale sizzling shhhhhhhh crash. Once you recognize it, it becomes like a signature, very identifiable in these '80s Stones records and beyond.

"Summer Romance" is one of those Mick songs that's kind of disposable or throwaway, but it still hits the spot and scratches that itch as a Stones song. I guess Mick was careening up on 40, and definitely hitting a spot in life where the girls and their fans were seemingly getting younger, permanently young, while he was the only one seemingly getting any older -- they're still physically interesting and seductive/attractive, but he finds himself wanting something more than just "greasy kid stuff." Sometimes I feel like he's maybe kind of still grappling with that a little bit, to this day. I personally like "Dancing Girls" (see a few posts above) better in the same vein, but of course it needed to be more fleshed out. If "Dancing Girls" had another layer of overdubs (backing vocals, acoustic guitars, maybe a Ron Wood pedal steel or 12-string part) it would be at the same level of quality as "Summer Romance."

Sean, Muggles, ohnothimagen and 3 others like this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Summer Romance:

Not a bad song, if a bit by the Numbers. It’s filler, but it’s killer filler. That’s all I’ve got.

21. Exile On My Street

Ronnie cracks me up! We wouldn't have had songs with all of that rhythm guitar without Mick...:biglaugh:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I do not recall ever hearing Dance on the radio, but the other two singles were always on. And I liked them. The first time I heard the whole album was in 82 and I was not impressed at all and considered it their worst. But now I have no excuse for why I did not like it. Maybe my expectations were too high. Except for the first song and the last song, there is nothing else on it I skip. And even those two songs are not bad. They are not Winning Ugly.

The Beave likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I listen to it every once in a while and then remember why I haven't listened to it lately. o_O:agree:

24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Or Sleep Tonight

25. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I listen to Jah Is Not Dead once a week on youtube. It is such a great song.
    Still not sure if it is "Dewey" or "Do it".
    But don't do drugs in this room!

Muggles and MRamble like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.