Rolling Stones - England's Newest Hit Makers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JeffMo, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic Thread Starter

Just gave England's Newest Hit Makers a listen for the first time in the car a couple of days ago, and this morning on my modest main home system. I don't have SACD capability so it was just redbook layer. My first thoughts are that it is very much a recording of its time - in other words, it sounds rather primitive relative to later, more full-bodied recordings, much like listening to early vs later Beatles. The two singles included on this release are the standouts - must have excited the youth of America to hear Not Fade Away open up the album. I presume the UK debut omitted these singles?

The blues tracks work really, really well. It is hard to believe how young they were and yet still be able to pull these songs off. The promise of what is to come is all there in this album. I don't care much for the sound of Jagger's vocals on this album - they are almost screechy in places.

The last song (Walking the Dog) is a terrible way to end this promising debut. The backing music is fine, but the vocals are poor and the whistling is cringe-worthy. This is the only song on this album that I hated.

One interesting thing to note is the album cover. Brian Jones is far left of the others and more to the front. Very much looks like the label was featuring Jones and his backing group, which of course it was at the time.

I haven't yet had the chance to give this album a listen on my Senns, but plan to do so tonight.

What do other Stones fans think of this debut?

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

It's great but the UK version is even better with Mona in place of Not Fade Away, which was a single-only track over there.

Side 1 on the UK version starts:

Route 66
    I Just Want To Make Love To You
    Honest I Do
    Mona

One of the my favorite opening sequences of all time.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Sweet, sweet mono vinyl. :agree: Is the Abcko 1986 CD of ENH mono or futzed with stereo ?

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Hitmakers/The Rolling Stones is a very good first effort. I like it just as much as Please Please Me. The primitive nature of the recording adds to its charm.

I have no issues with Jagger's vocals.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't have any problem with Walking The Dog, which is a comedy song. Incidently, the vocal "If you don't know how to do it..." is debated to be Brian Jones.

6. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've got a red label mono Australian copy of their first album. That version of Mona gives me chill bumps it's so good.

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Yeah and then you flip it over and it starts out with I'm A King Bee.

When I listen to this album it tells me why they were such a sensation and the best rock band around London at the time.

Imagine walking along late one night, early 1964, looking for something to do, passing the softly lit pubs and closed up shops....and you hear Route 66 pouring out the front door of a club just ahead.

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Oldies radio in Australia plays Walkin' the Dog to this day. It'd be one of the most loved Stones tracks around these parts.

9. Myke

:confused: please...

10. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

The pinned in the red sound does add to it's charm, the SACD adds more balls to the sound.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

All the CDs of England's Newest Hitmakers are mono.

12. Myke

Much obliged. :shtiphat:

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get the old import "London. West Germany" first album on CD, forget about NOT FADE AWAY, that's covered on other disks. The one mastered by MoFi.

To me, it sounds the most balanced of everything out there.

14. Myke

I've got the UKs here :

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Great album! I love how the UK version doesn't have any writing on the cover, very classy picture IMO. When I saw The Stones at Wembley Stadium in the summer of 1995 they opened the show with Not Fade Away. Voodoo Lounge tour and they Rocked from start to finish.

UK cover and my T shirt from 95. I wear it every Halloween. :D

Attached Files:

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I agree.

Fwiw, be careful with US only albums issued on MoFi. They don't futz with the sound, but the sources don't sound great, which wouldn't be surprising since the US master would presumably consist of dubs. You can see this by comparing overlapping tracks that pop up on multiple MoFi reissues (like "I'm Free"). It's not just levels that may be different, the tapes are different different.

17. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Always wondered about that unique vocal, always sounded grainy to me. I always thought it was Keith with a loud backing vocal.

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I love that album cover and regret that I don't have an LP copy of that album with that cover. I passed over a Japanese reissue of it in the 80's which was super-cheap at the time, it was when CD's were phasing out LP's and LP's were being clearanced. I'm still kicking myself over that. I have two CD's with the UK cover (including the W. German CD) but it isn't the same.

19. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

Of all the debut albums from the groups I love this might be the one I like the most. Honestly the Rolling Stones sound like they were tearing it up. Tracks like "Carol" and "I Just Want to Make Love to You" were spirited cover versions and their lone original song on the album really ventures into Merseybeat "Tell Me" is actually a real great track IMO.

20. Myke

21. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

My story is worse than yours. I had the first and second LP, the Mono copies on the red Decca label and sold them in 1984 when I moved to Greece. I didn't know they gave you travel pay so I sold a bunch of records to the store I worked part time at in Portsmouth New Hampshire, Sessions Music. I was newly married and an E-4 in the Air Force. When I filed my travel voucher they gave me $2,300. I also sold my Beatles MOFI Box. I felt like an idiot.

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I found a German Decca copy on vinyl, which had a 70s-era picture on the cover. It was horribly warped but played fine.

23. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

And that London disc has the long version of "Tell Me".

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's the one, yes.

25. Myke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.