Rolling Stones - England's Newest Hit Makers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JeffMo, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The short version of Tell Me is the rare one. It shifts the value by at least one decimal point :D

[​IMG]

http://stonesondecca.com/index.html

2. glea

glea Forum Resident

We were walking thru London once, with my pal. He pointed to a cellar door, and said "saw the Stones play there all night once". Yowza!

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like I need to search for a UK version, and preferably a London one.

I should not have made an overarching criticism about the vocals on the album. It is two tracks in particular that bothered me: I Just Want To Make Love to You and Carol. Screechy wasn't the right word either, I think shrill better describes it and I don't know if it was the recording itself, the mics used, the mixing afterwards, the mastering, or (gasp) the 2002 remastering (ha ha). I just don't care for the sound of the vocals on those two.

Speaking of Carol, I was neglectful not to mention the two Chuck Berry covers on this debut. My dad and I saw a documentary a couple years ago on PBS that showed Keith circa '85 or so playing with and being interviewed with Chuck and it was so refreshing to see the mutual respect they had for each other. I have had "Ya Yas" for years so I'm partial to the outstanding live version of Carl personally, so I found the studio cut to be rather pedestrian by contrast.

I agree that Route 66 is just a fun rocking song. Have they ever played this live since the early 60s? Speaking of live, how is the version on the UK "Got Live" EP?

All in all I'm still very impressed with this debut release, and it seems silly to use the word underrated and The Rolling Stones in the same sentence, but this album doesn't often come up in discussions about great debut records. I think we even had a thread here at SHF and I don't recall it being mentioned (or perhaps I missed it).

Finally, I'm looking forward to hearing Mona after reading this thread. Since I'm working my way through the ABKCO catalog, can I presume it is on a forthcoming American "bastardization" album??

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's on The Rolling Stones Now. (except for the Australian vinyl version where it was replaced with I Can't Be Satisfied)

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Not true of records like Out Of Our Heads...

6. Sparky

Sparky Forum Resident

They played it at Knebworth in 1976, at the 2nd El Macombo club gig in 1977 and at all the 1999 shows from the 'b-stage'.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The live version of Route 66 is hot! In addition to the EP, it can be found on Decembers Children.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have the MoFi vinyl box and the US only albums sound fine to me.

9. Love everything about LP #1, but this is one where you really need the U.K. version for full flavor. Simply proving here that they were the funkiest white boys around, though I have to say "Tell Me" drags me a bit -wish they'd stuck 100% to the R&B millieu that was their calling card. And yes, it's indeed Brian throwing in the harmony during the chorus of "Walking the Dog" (as well as the whistles) - he sang more in those days than people are aware (he also doubles Mick's lead vocal on "I Wanna Be Your Man" and sings the background harmonies with Bill on "You Better Move On").

10. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

I think the post refers to the London editions of the U.S. albums that were not on the MoFi box- Now!, December's Children, Flowers..."As Tears Go By" fades up on December's Children, "Please Go Home" fades up on Flowers.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Ok, I see. That makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.