Rolling Stones "Exile" CD/Vinyl Thread--Part 3*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

BONUS!

So far I am surprisingly happy with the bonus CD. I could pass on the strings on Following The River but otherwise I very much like what I hear and have no issues whatsoever with the vocals which from previous posts I thought might be an issue for me.

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Sourced from the original tapes. I've read two excellent reviews of the vinyl from folks with pretty serious rigs so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you might want to check on your set up.

3. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

early reports implied... what does that mean, are you basing this on rumors from last year and early leaked info, because officially, no one has been misled the way you're implying...

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Exactly. The fact that there are some added vocals or guitar doesn't take away from the fact that these are from the Exile sessions. I would've preferred if they left them alone also but to imply that somehow the Stones are pulling something over people's eyes is just plain wrong.

5. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

1) For grins, I put both discs in the changer and hit random, just to see how noticeable the newer tracks are in relation to the original recordings. I wasn't listening obsessively but it all sounded great to these ears. The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was Following the River.

2) Regarding the DVD, can anyone tell me why I am tired of hearing Martin Scorsese give his opinions about the band? I admire his filmmaking of course... but his pontificating is really getting to me.

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

That these are not on here is a complete travesty--

Attached Files:

7. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I've been with this thread from the start, and recall no such thing. Give proof or stop lying.

Maybe you're confusing this with a different message board? It has been known since the early 80's that Jagger never put finished vocal tracks/complete lyrics to unrleased songs from the 60's/70's. We aleady knew "So Divine" and "Dancing In The Light" didn't have vocals, because we've had copies of them for years!

I don't know how many times, and by how many people, you need to be told that most "casual" Stones fans won't be buying the deluxe edition. You are aware that there is a 1 cd remastered edition with just the album, are you not?

8. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

To be fair, the 2CD version is the bestselling album on Amazon at the moment: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=sv_m_3

9. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Probably because people want to hear the new bonus tracks that—as has been heavily publicized—Mick finished up last year.

Seriously, if you're aware of this release, you're aware that the tracks were finished up, because EVERY INTERVIEW with Mick or Keith mentions it, and EVERY article or review I've read so far mentions it.

If you're aware that there is an Exile re-issue with bonus cuts coming out and you're not aware that those bonus cuts were worked on in 2009, you need to take a reading comprehension test. Anyone who cares enough to learn about the existence of this product will learn that the bonus tracks are part-1970s, part-2009 creations.

10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I agree:(

11. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Exactly. It's not like the Stones are trying to hide the fact that they finished up the tracks last year or anything. They're being very up front.

Don't think of this as being archival materials from Exile, think of it as Tattoo You, Part 2.

12. street legal

street legal Senior Member

To compare this release to "Tattoo You" is beyond ridiculous.

13. I heard it here in the store on Saturday and it could not sound more unlike the original
    US vinyl. Monster hump in the bass, polite vocals & guitar, digital but not in the bad way.

Well pressed, clean surfaces, flat as an aircraft carrier.

14. Mike D'Aversa

By "here", what edition do you mean? There's like 5 of them.

People throw around words like "travesty" with so little care that it, in itself, is a complete travesty. :laugh:

I agree with the one on the right. Mick knows what has been bootlegged over the years, figured that we already have stuff like that (which you obviously do), and wanted most of the bonus stuff to be new or alternate. Perhaps he drew that conclusion from the bitching that went on regarding the relative lack of new/unreleased songs on The Beatles 'Anthology'? I'm surprised he decided to give us "Good Time Women" straight up. Perhaps he was annoyed that most bootlegger's didn't realize the recording was running way too fast?

As far as the one on the left, I'm surprised you would feel so strongly about a throwaway improvised ditty/"skit" used (with excerpts on the album) to sell the album over the radio! Of the many other things that could have been used to fill out the bonus cd (reportedly 40 different recordings), that would certainly be last on my and, I would assume, most other's list(s)...

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I agree, I am hoping for a bonus album that stands on it's own as a listening experience, and not an "Odds & Sods" set for cherry picking.

I can do without the ditty / plug for the album.

16. Mike D'Aversa

Wait a minute. You've also bothered to listen to the 'Exile...' radio promo more than once or twice? I guess I'm missing the appeal here.

Silly me, for wanting something I'd listen to more than exactly one time, like a good-sounding release of the acoustic version of "All Down The Line"...

17. Mike D'Aversa

Seems quite apt to me. In what way(s) do you feel it "ridiculous"?

18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Your list please.

19. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Thanks for this. It's too bad about the cover and inserts though.

20. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

The Exile plug and the other version of All Down The Line should be on the deluxe set to make it more complete. Travesty may not be the right word but its a missed opportunity to round out the experience, especially for those who collect and would like updated sound and also remember the fun back then in listening to those items and then tracking them down. It wouldn't have hurt to include them and its a shame it didn't happen.

21. Mike D'Aversa

IMO, those are not being sold to casual fans (just an opinion - I don't work in marketing).

You've got to remember that, while not as big/commercial as The Beatles, there are an awful LOT of big Stones fans (especially from the past, and especially of this album - and the three preceding it). Remember how often people would complain about not being able to find a copy of the 'Let It Bleed' sacd in 2002 (whereas most of the other albums were always in abundance)? That's not normal. It's not like anybody ever had any trouble finding a copy of 'Highway 61'/'Blonde On Blonde'/'Blood On The Tracks'/etc, when Dylan's sacd's came out the following year...

22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

No, I'm not aware of rumors or leaking info. I'm referring to the first reports I read, and I'm sure many here read as well in the Feb. 25th issue of Rolling Stone:
    new rollingstone.com article: Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks Set to Debut on “Exile on Main Street” Reissue
    Posted by: RKH1981 ()
    Date: February 25, 2010 15:45

[www.rollingstone.com]

The Rolling Stones’ classic Exile in Main Street — one of Rolling Stone’s highest-ranking Greatest Albums of All Time — is returning as a very special reissue. On May 18th, Universal Music Group is re-releasing the album with 10 never-before-heard tracks, including “Plundered My Soul,” “Dancing in the Light,” “Following the River” and “Pass the Wine,” that were produced by Jimmy Miller, the Glimmer Twins and Don Was. The disc also features alternate versions of “Soul Survivor” and “Loving Cup.”

Mick Jagger tells Rolling Stone when the record company asked him to dive in his files for possible bonus songs, he initially believed the band had used all they’d written on the 1972 double album (read RS’s original review). “I went back in the archives and dug out a load of things,” he says. “I added some percussion and some vocals. Keith put guitar on one or two.” Jagger wrote fresh lyrics for “Following the River,” but other than some light revisions to the other songs, “I really wanted to leave them pretty much as they were,” Keith Richards says. “I didn’t want to interfere with the Bible, you know. They still had that great basement sound.”

23. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

I agree, I had it in my hands today to buy (on sale a day early for $28 at one of the local shops), but I put it back as the cover looked so horribly cheap. Don't know what the inside looked like, but the outer jacket looked like a third or fourth generation copy...of a COPY. I'm not one who nitpicks about this stuff either, but it really looked bad. So I figured I'd wait to see what the verdict was regarding the sound and pressing quality.

I know you shouldn't judge a book (or an LP) by it's cover, but for the premium price they're charging for this, the sleeve (at least) is very disappointing. (Also disappointed there's no postcards too...)

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They can round round out the experience later on a double CD of scraps leftover from various album reissues.

They have ten years of "plundering the vaults" in front of them. Why wreck a nice bonus disc with scrappy junk, or things we already have in another form.

25. Mike D'Aversa

Outside of what was just released?

No particular order -

"I Ain't Lying"/"Ain't Gonna Lie"/"I'm Not Signifying" - electric guitar take
    "All Down The Line" - early acoustic take
    "All Down The Line" - 45 b-side version
    "Loving Cup" - complete/unedited "drunken" 'Let It Bleed' take
    "Can't Seem To Get A Line On You" - 1st version of "Shine A Light"
    "Plundered My Soul" - radio mix

To get those on, I would have been willing to sacrifice "Pass The Wine"/"Following The River"/"Plundered My Soul" - LP mix/"Loving Cup" - alternate edit/"Title 5"

I would have also put the original instrumental versions of "Aladdin Story" and "Dancing In The Light" in my list, had Mick not used original backing tracks and/or somehow butchered them up for this release. But he did use the original backings, and didn't butcher them, so I don't need to list them (as I now view these new ones as my favorite/definitive versions of the songs - much as I rarely listen to the "Waiting For My Friend" outtake, the two versions of "Never Stop", or the two earlier versions of "Hangfire" ("Lazy Bitch")...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.