Rolling Stones "Exile" CD/Vinyl Thread--Part 3*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Vinyl sounds great here. Not really a big difference that I can tell between it and either my original UK or U.S. copies. Perhaps a bit less muddy, if anything. And the packaging looks fine, although maybe the deluxe packaging is different since it also has slots for the cd's and dvd.

3. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Yeah know what you mean, I've just learned to have low expectations for new music releases, especially vinyl remasters...take it for it is and just enjoy it, and remember to take good care of the originals, they will never be bettered IMO

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree that "Plundered" is probably too close to "Tumbling Dice" to make sense on the original album. Which is probably why it never got finished and used on the original album. I'm glad it exists now as a bonus track, but, as I said above, I accept the bonus tracks for what they are, and don't feel the need to try to resequence the original album to included them.

I do feel that the flow of the original record falls apart on side four - there is a rock vibe to side one, an acoustic vibe to side two, and down-in-the-basement vibe to side three - but side four just feels like a grab-bag of left-overs that didn't fit on any of the other sides. If I had been Andy Johns or Mick in 1972, I would have ended the album with the one-two punch of "Let It Loose" --> "Shine a Light," but, again, what's done is done, and the original record doesn't need to be resequenced at this point - it is what it is.

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I tried unsuccessfully to resist buying the box today...:cheers:

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I agree.
    If this was released 3 or 4 years ago we would no doubt be getting a full fledged remixed multi-channel and 2 channel mix in lossless format (SACD).
    I wouldn't have thought twice about paying $20-$35 for it.
    I probably bought every single Abko SACD DSD remaster I could get my hands on at the time.

I just don't see any temptation to buy something that is basically the same as a redbook CD released 6 years ago.

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The remaster is way too bright. I wish they had only tweaked it moderately with a little more midrange but this thing has way too much top end added. I will stick with my Collectors edition Ludwig remaster.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The original is not mind blowing great from just a pure sonic standpoint. They did a really nice job with this. I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Cut at the Mastering Lab by Doug Sax.

And by the way, you can pick this up from sellers on Amazon for less than $30.

9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I saw a copy of the LP today. I picked it up and checked it out. The cover was very flimsy and just a little too big, the records were sliding around in the cover.

10. Rose River Bear

You got that. The vinyl sounds like junk to me. Way to much top end was added. My original vinyl sounds much better.

11. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

I think it sounds ok, but not the mojo of an original.

12. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

13. Rose River Bear

Too bad...you are not missing much other than the unreleased stuff. :cheers:

14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Yes, you're right, and Mickboy for one had done that with his "remaster" but Soul Survivor is one of my very favorite tracks on the album. It just seems endemic to double albums. London Calling throws in the towel by making Train in Vain unlisted (I know that's not why it's unlisted, but they would have had a hard time resequencing the first three sides to include it -- same with Soul Survivor).

15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I went with the Target "fan-pack" with the Bonus rarities cd , shirt & guitar pick @ $19.99 got the last one at my local store .
    I allready have the Ludwig remaster cd so don't really need another copy , very cool they did the Bonus cd seperate ...

Another cool thing is my rarities cd has a double jewel case so if you wanted to stick in your original Exile cd you could ......

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You are going to tell us about the T-Shrit right?
    How painfully small it is, or if there was a choice in sizes, etc. You would be the first to post here in detail:sigh:,

don't stop now........

17. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

Total agreement on all points ... at least after listening to the "side 1" songs ... if the brightness continues throughout .......... :sigh: :( :mad: :thumbsdn:

18. Rose River Bear

Totally agree. I like all of the other Marcussen remasters. The tweaking was much more moderate on the others. Exile is real ear killer.

PS-Say real ear killer 10 times fast. :laugh:

19. Rose River Bear

Brightness is pretty nasty. I would love to see a waveform comparing the new remaster to the collector's edition Ludwig.

Love the photos though... can anyone ever be as cool as Keith Richards?

20. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

I bought 2 on first day of release, and another about a week later ... the first is long gone after wearing it out, the second is well worn-but still sounds very good .... the 3rd has had about a half-dozen plays and is still as pristine as can be ... my Japanese is about as pristine as that 3rd original American pressing.

I'm worried about getting to the new vinyl because my reaction to the CD was just like yours -- too bright in too many places, unlike the rest of the Universals

21. You boys talking about the CD or the vinyl????

Seems like there are parallel discussions of the sound of the CD and the sound of the vinyl.

Brian

22. Rose River Bear

Both are bad IMHO.

23. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

It could be my ears "adjusting" (or burning out :laugh: ) but starting with "Tumbling Dice" I was not as put off by the over-brightness I heard on the first several tracks.

In fact that and "Sweet Virginia" actually sound better than I think I've ever heard them before (but that would take a mammoth A/B/C/D... comparison to be sure). And "Torn and Frayed" sounds pretty good too ... and the same with "Sweet Black Angel"

I think I'll have to live with this CD for a while and then start some comparison listening.

24. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I would have done the same, but I was born about 18 years too late to have been able to buy a copy on release :(

25. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Going back to what someone said earlier, Exile is what it is, and I wouldn't change it, but for fun i think 'I Ain't Signifyin' could have fit the original album IMHO,love the horns on it. I thing it has the right feel to fit the somewhat diverse mix of rock n roll,
    country, blues, gospel on the original album, it's a great track.

Ps. Pass The Wine does appear to have an earlier vocal performance bleeding through in spots!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.