Rolling Stones "Exile" CD/Vinyl Thread--Part 3*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

People with the Super Deluxe: How is the image quality on the gatefold jacket and inner sleeves? Does everything look nice and smooth or rough and blocky?

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw the box at Bestbuy today ($189) and I did resist. It looks like a nice package and it has heavy weight. My BB had 5 in stock.

3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I really, really love "Title 5." Yes - it's a bit of a throwaway, but it captures the "Exile" groove in a nutshell. It is also evidence, IMO, that the Stones have a sense of humor.

The rarities CD sounds fine on my home stereo. I do not find it bright and it holds together when played as loud as Jimmy Miller would suggest.

Keef's singing on "Soul Survivor" is a highlight.

Ken

4. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

My reaction to "Happy"? sounds different enough from what I remember after all these years to be a reMIX, but I guess compression and EQ can fool you sometimes.

"Turd on the Run" ... it was always "bright and jangly" but this is a little too much of both ... Funny though, "Ventilator Blues" just sounds really clear and well-balanced, not an ear-bleeder like I was expecting after TOTR ... and "Just Wanna..." and "Let It Loose", especially LIL, actually seem to be a little bass heavier than I ever remember, not overly bright at all ...

I'm not sure why my reaction is varying so much from song to song on this CD, except maybe whatever "murk" existed on previous releases might have served to "homogenize" the tracks? Just grasping at straws here ... but having never heard "the original master tapes" I can only say that it sounds different than any version I've heard before -- but except for my impression of the first few tracks as "overly bright" this is not "awful" by any means -- unless different from the original vinyl automatically means "awful" to you ....

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Looks fine here.

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Funny, I went to my BB this morning to pick up the 3-disc version with the interview disc (which they had plenty of). I went looking for the Super Deluxe AND the vinyl set and there wasn't a single one of either of them there. I thought for sure it would be well stocked. I was there a few hours after opening, sure, but I was still surprised not to see ANY copies there at all.

7. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

:righton:

8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Exile has been my favorite album in any genre for over 30 years, but the "new" songs are a total strikeout for me. They should have included one of the 72 shows instead - Fort Worth or NYC.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Just a reminder, Mick Jagger on Larry King Live tonight. I'm sure its gonna be a hilarious spectacle.:yawn:

10. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

I ani't signifying at the end, only tune that feels exile and 1972 era Stones without the 2010 watermark... i could never change the track order of exile, but i could append it.

everything else either doesn't fit onto exile as it stands or has too much 2010 on it to follow it up without a major listening transition....

11. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

def. one could make a lot of jokes about age and women between these two....
    my dvr is set, thx for the reminder.

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

No.

14. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Picked up the Target Fan Pack. The t-shirt is substantial, not one of those cheap pre-shrunk "vintage-worn-look" shirts. The guitar pick looks like a 1972 tour replica.

At first I wondered about the slimline 2-fer jewel case. Then I thought, why not add my copy of the Virgin CD to the package, and it fit just right. I was able to slide the Virgin booklet in and flip the Rarities tray liner upside down so the songs selection shows when you flip open the the tray to get to the 2nd disk.

Seems to me that they envisioned this type of thing in their planning.

15. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

The more I listen to the bonus tracks the more they really don't sound like 1972 Stones. It is hard to explain. I do wish they wouldn't have finished these tracks in 2010 and just had a full disc chock full of raw, studio-chat filled, songs.

Can somebody tell me which songs haven't been altered at all since 1972? I think I can guess them.

16. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, and the shirt is not a "small" large. It's pretty roomy :)

17. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

So, what is on the shirt?

18. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Oh, it'd be more fun if you list your guesses first!

19. The "rarities" only disc also seems to have the fan in mind--it's a 2-fer slimline jewel case.

Unfortunately, I bought the VIrgin mini-replica package of "Exile" back in the day but I finally have a good place to store it without worrying about tearing up the mini-replica artwork.

I have to give them credit--I thought it was pretty ingenius.

20. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

This isn't hard science. We don't know everything 100% yet (may never). With that qualifier -

No altering -

"I'm Not Signifying"
    "Title 5"
    "Soul Survivor"
    "Loving Cup"
    "Good Time Women"
    "All Down The Line"
    (for those with the bonus track)

Little to moderate altering -

"So Divine (Aladdin's Song)" - all instrumentation original except parts of Richard's acoustic guitar/parts of lead vocal newly recorded

"Pass The Wine" - original backing track/some new instrumental overdubs/mostly (all?) new vocals

"Plundered My Soul" - all original instrumentation except for new Mick Taylor lead guitar fills/mostly (all?) new vocals

"Dancing In The Light" - mostly (all?) original instrumentation/mostly (all?) new vocals

Significant altering -

"Following The River" - original backing track/many new instrumental overdubs (strings/etc)/all new vocals

21. I am not hearing "ear bleeder", but I sure as hell am hearing "zero dynamics" on many tracks.

The quiet tracks fair better, but the louder tracks like "Happy" do not have any life to them. "Tumbling Dice" plays somewhat better than it looks, but in general things sound like they look.

Brian

Attached Files:

22. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks for the heads-up, Reb! Coming on in a few minutes...

Repeats again at midnight, I believe.

24. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Larry King to Mick Jagger - "And how do you keep it up all the time...long pause...you know, the popularity?"

:biglaugh:

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Mick's smirk after the question was priceless as well.

So good so far - I'm liking this.

Thanks again, Reb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.