Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St. box set with unreleased songs (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

It seems like U2 is pulling off the extended CD box type marketing the best?

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

+1 :righton:

So many missed opportunities for a good Stones comp with rare (previously released) tracks ... Remember FLASHPOINT + COLLECTIBLES? Another terrible comp with some grade A stuff mixed in with total remix crap.

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yup. Sadly, I bought that one too. Pretty much all of the worthwhile material wound up on Rarities anyway, IIRC...:shake:

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

If you consider "Stripped" a comp, that one has a special place in my heart. One of my favorite Stones releases.

5. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Just a question:

Has anyone in the US received/found a copy of the Uncut with Keef on the cover? I haven't been able to find it at B&N. Beginning to think it's not out in the US yet (?).

6. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Cook Cook Blues and Fancyman Blues

I bought a six dollar used copy just to get a lossless Fancy Man Blues. My local used shop has a copy of Flashpoint+Collectables but I'm not paying $40 for Cook Cook Blues. I gues I should just spring for a copy of Another Side Of Steel Wheels. How do rthe rst of you feel about Cook Cook Blues and Fancyman Blues?

Cheers, Michael

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

While it definitely isn't a compilation, STRIPPED is the last great album from the Rolling Stones to date. Even Charlie Watts has singled STRIPPED out as a favorite.

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

They're okay ... nothing special.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I subscribe and received it last week.

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oh man, that's just wrong...it's this sort of thing that makes me like that bunch just a bit less...

11. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Turn it Up in Northampton, MA has it, as does A.J. Hastings in Amherst, MA

12. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with the concept of putting out a compilation of hard-to-find songs and material that wasnt available on CD - it was simply poorly executed.

One song was an outtake from 'Live Licks' (Thru & Thru), one song was a rarity which they then proceeded to EDIT rendering it's inclusion entirely pointless (ie, shaving a minute off the 8 and a half minute extended version of 'Miss You'), and almost half of the album consisted of songs which, far from being rarities, were available on currently in-print albums (how can a song from 'Stripped' be a 'rarity' when it was a currently available album which had sold 3.5 MILLION copies?).

'I think I'm Goin' Mad' (the vinyl only b-side of 'She Was Hot' and a song that would have been a shoe-in for inclusion) was apparently left off because whoever was assembling the material for this reelase couldnt locate the master of it.

'Sampler' would have been a more appropriate album title. Or maybe 'A Big F**king Mess' when you factor in the horribly researched liner notes and the shameful re-writing of history that's apparent on the front cover.

13. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I have to say as even a casual Stones fan, that cover took some believing when I first saw it. A genuine 'WTF?' moment.

14. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

And not only on the cover. Bill Wyman isn't mentioned anywhere in the package. Never mind that he plays on 11 of the 16 tracks... Meanwhile, Mick Taylor is only on two tracks and gets credited both times.

15. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Wow. That stinks.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Dance(instrumental) was also left off.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Three of the top four sellers on eil.com are variants of the Exile set, with the 135 pound deluxe edition topping the list:

http://eil.com/

Today's Best Sellers
    1 Rolling Stones £135
    Exile On Main Street
    UK box set
    2 Paul Weller £10
    No Tears To Cry
    UK box set
    3 Rolling Stones £16.99
    Exile On Main Street
    UK 2-CD album set
    4 Rolling Stones £16.99
    Exile On Main Street
    UK 2-LP vinyl set

19. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I was able to get it at 102.99 Canadian on Amazon Canada on March 11. Can't believe they jacked the price up while Amazon US came down.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Is the box, book some post cards and DVD the only extras you get with the super deluxe package?

The Stones UK site has the super deluxe package for £99 and it looks nice but I can get the 2 cd set and vinyl for a total of £30. I could do without the DVD so unless the book is worth £70 I think it makes financial sense to buy the cd and vinyl set individually.

Eddie

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yep. That`s exactly what I posted earlier in the thread. If most or all of the DVD content is going to be released separately anyway, all that`s missing is the book, which will probably be a bit of a fluff piece anyway.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ooops sorry for the duplicate post. It's late and I should be asleep!

On the RS.com website it says the book is 64 pages long which isn't that big of a book for all that extra cash.

I doubt it will be anything special anyway.

I think I'll get the 2cd set for the extra bonus tracks and wait to hear the verdict on the lp. I don't have this on lp and wouldn't mind picking it up at some point.

I'll probably spend the saved £70 on the Neil Young remastered lps :D

Eddie

25. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

We already know the book will not contain information. Just pictures...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.