Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, I have that book as well.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'm sure the sales of Emotional Rescue were helped by the success of Some Girls. I am sure some people bought it without hearing it thinking it would be Some Girls part 2 but it wasn't nearly as strong as Some Girls.

Flaming Torch and Galactus2 like this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Fans will eat it up!

Joti Cover, Davido, savemenow and 2 others like this.
  4. All Down The Line

Sure as he stated in 1989 that he messed the band up for a good 10 years adding that it was/is unforgivable!

5. All Down The Line

Yes he did wear it with Preston's band.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Exactly!

7. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

I actually personally wonder if they’ll include the original real audible lyrics to Starf****r, or the lyrics completely ruined by electronic buzzes and distortion of the last remix, more than I wonder about the soup...

Rickchick likes this.
  8. All Down The Line

Reportedly after watching Taylor solo over John Phillips' song Oh Virginia (circa 76'?) Keith said something akin to "Now I know why I always hated you!"

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Finally, someone got the gag!

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

side note...loved this book and bought it on publication. However of all the stones books it might have the worst cover photograph of all time.

All Down The Line and John Fell like this.
  11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

THIS!^
    I honestly think you totally nailed it! Every point you make is spot on!
    Whatever problems Taylor had in the band, in hindsight it seems to have come from his personality. He wasn’t strong enough to be in Mick and Keith’s orbit, but Keith was degenerating and he thought he would just be the natural choice for Mick. What he didn’t realize is that Jagger had his own fears about the future of the band and in the end couldn’t sell Keith out, but then Keith allowed Jagger to take the reigns while he got phuced up all the time. To Taylor’s dismay.
    But now it makes sense, Taylor had the talent and the chops to be in the top tier, but what he didn’t have was the personality to pull it off, and that’s telling.
    Keith, totally junked up on stage could completely Phuk up Happy, with Jagger saving the song, and get away with it! Shows you what power personality has in relationships.

And in the end that left Taylor with literally nothing but himself, and we now can see that he could really do nothing significant on his own, despite him being the musician he once was......but no longer is.
    Pity, really.
    And to be so stupid to quit the Stones and go onto..........nothing really.
    Thing that pisses me off is he plucked us fans out of a lot of good music.
    And that’s down to him, not Mick or Keith.
    Beave

Flaming Torch and btltez like this.
  12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Taylor made the choice he felt was right for him at time. Fans my not like it but we have no say in the matter. He has stated in interviews that he was tired of playing with the Stones and wanted to play different types of music among other reasons. He stated early on when he joined the band that he couldn't see himself playing with the Stones forever. It's really no different than someone quitting a job and moving on when they are unhappy at their current job.

J_D__ and superstar19 like this.
  13. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I agree to a point. I still feel most of it was the cocaine. And a lot of it, as you say he was ''unhappy" but why was he unhappy? Seems like, because of his whining around still years later, he was unhappy because he just could not break the Mick and Keith bubble. He wanted to be a rock STAR and face it, he just didn't have it. But really, he was one, especially to freaks like us who loved his playing and felt and heard how much it elevated The Stones' music in that period. That just wasn't good enough for him it seems. I just think he tarnishes himself by crying around about it. It would be so great to have him on these upcoming shows, especially since how great he was those last shows he did with them, but I'm pretty sure Mick and Keith are done with hearing him bad mouth them. IDK it's a bummer is all. Such a great player.

enro99 and The Beave like this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

@btltez I actually don't think he wanted to be rock star and was more comfortable playing sessions and the blues. I think it was his management and wife who were pushing him to be a rock star.

15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I could totally buy that scenario too John. I mean the later interviews I've seen on utube, can't remember the year or which press conference, it was Mick and Keith and Mick Taylor kind of just seemed to show up, weasel in, was wearing make up and trying to talk and answer questions more than I had ever seen him do, and it was just awkward AF. That totally could be mgt/wife pushing him. Which could have also pushed him to the heavy coke abuse, not just Keith lol.

16. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

You asked for it, you got it!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ingredients
    2 lbs. ram-goat head (chopped)
    2 cloves garlic (crushed)
    1 medium size Choco (chayote) (optional) (peeled, washed,halves or quartered)
    2 small Irish potatoes (peeled, halves or quartered)
    1/4 lb. pumpkin (peeled, washed, dice)
    1 whole green Scotch Bonnet Pepper
    2 fingers green bananas (peeled, washed.) Cut each banana finger into 3 or 4 pieces.
    1 stalk scallion, (roughly chopped)
    1 sprig green thyme
    1 cup flour for dumplings or spinners
    A pinch of salt
    Salt to taste
    1 packet of Ram -goat soup, Manish water mix (optional)
    1/4 lb. yellow yam (optional) peeled, washed, sliced
    1 co-coa (eddoe) (optional) peeled, washed, sliced
    6 cups of water (more or less)
    4 pimento berries

Method
    1. Wash ram goat's head with lime or lemon water, you can use white vinegar water as well. (mix a tsp. of lime or lemon juice or vinegar with 4 cups of water)
    2. Cut goat's head into small pieces
    3. In a large pot add 4 cups of water, goat's head, pimento berries and garlic. Cover pot and cook on high heat until goat's head becomes tender.
    4. Add 2 cups of water. Add the Choco, Irish potatoes, pumpkin. Cover and cook until softened.
    5. In the meantime, Put the flour and salt into a bowl and add small pours of water and mix the flour to make a dough. Knead until the dough is firm. Cover with a dish towel and set aside.
    6. Add more water if needed then add the yam, co-coa and green bananas. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Make small dumplings or spinners with the flour dough then add to the pot. Stir.
    7. Add the scallion, thyme, hot pepper and ram-goat soup mix. Stir. Lower the heat and let the soup simmer.
    8. Add salt to taste. Let the soup continues to simmer for another 10 minutes.
    9. Remove from heat and serve hot.

Sounds scrumptious

17. All Down The Line

Where there 2 cover options or just Mick and Keith circa 1989?

18. All Down The Line

Sure but that is not quite the point.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

So what is the point? :)

20. All Down The Line

Great post.
    Did Taylor have any personal management in 1974?
    Two people that seriously bolstered and helped push Taylor towards leaving the Stones were Rose Taylor & Andy Johns.
    *Edit
    Andy (who had incidentally done Out Of The Storm with Jack Bruce in 1974) later said it was the worst thing he ever did as regards pushing Taylor to jump ship!

laf848, Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  21. All Down The Line

Yes but that was not all of it.
    Songwriting, standing up to Mick & Keith, telling him he was a great talent and could just go out on his own anyway!
    Etc etc etc.

22. All Down The Line

Exactly, i am always mindful of his age when he became lead guitarist of this monster band with it's sky high profile.

23. All Down The Line

In some ways I would say there is a kernel of truth there and socially he was at times further from the epicentre than perhaps someone like Bobby Keys?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  24. All Down The Line

He is not quite politically aligned.

25. All Down The Line

Possibly true but I feel it is more that the 73'-76' LP's copped critical flack so it is also a convenient out for Richards to comment in this fashion.

DTK likes this.