Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

If Hot Stuff and Fool to Cry were removed from B&B, it would place in my top Stones albums. Jes' saying...

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Find an old CD player with Favorite Track Selection, and you can program out those two songs and never hear them again!

:)

Exile On My Street and Rickchick like this.
  3. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I do. And I do it manually when I play the vinyl.

:)

4. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Is this release rare and different to track down?I’d probably buy this promo cassette for the right price.

5. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I'm not a Stones expert, so forgive me if it's well known by everyone. But I played GHS for the first time in ages yesterday, and I was struck by how much Winter sounds like Mick had been listening to Van Morrison. (Snow in San Anselmo presumably, given the lyrics!) Did Hard Nose The Highway come out before GHS? The phrasing of the lines made imagining Van sing it really obvious to me.

I also have to say I was a bit concerned about the lyric "I want to put my cord around you". Then I realised it was "coat" ...

6. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

I came across it on Reddit. It appears to be extremely rare....

"Discogs says it was only released as a promo in 1973. Zero people have it in their collection on the site as well and rather obviously there's none for sale either.

It being a promo plus this was also before anybody really knew that the cassette would take off as a format plus mint condition = super rare (presumably) This also appears to be the only Japanese cassette release of this album."

The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Carl80 likes this.
  7. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

It was widely noted at the time of release that Mick seemed to be under the influence of Van Morrison on Winter. I think the influence is also there (to a lesser degree) on 100 years ago, and Hide Your Love. The Rolling Stone review from 1973 mentions it:

Goats Head Soup

8. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Flaming Torch, post: 23181840,

I do wish they all did a Dylan and just put it out as is.
    On a more positive note and contradicting everything above I am glad they are doing a live Silver Train (always a favourite song/performance) these days![/QUOTE]

All Dylan? It never occurred to me, but Yes! That could be great.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I always heard a bit of Van in many of the "Exile" tracks as well. Good example would be "Shine A Light."

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I assume you are familiar with this?

11. George Blair

Who plays slide guitar on this track?

12. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

I believe it was Brian Jones.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

From Wikipedia

A version of the song, under the title "(Can't Seem To) Get a Line on You," was made by Leon Russell at Olympic Studios in October 1969 with assistance from Jagger (lead vocals), Charlie Watts (drums), Leon Russell (piano), and probably also Bill Wyman (bass) and Mick Taylor (guitar). The recording was made during the recording sessions for the album Leon Russell (released 1970), where both Watts and Wyman contributed drums and bass to some of the tracks. However, the song was shelved until 1993, when it finally surfaced as a bonus track on the 24K gold re-release by DCC Compact Classics (DCC Compact Classics GZS 1049)

Although credited to usual Stones writers Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, "Shine a Light" was largely a Mick Jagger-Leon Russell composition. He began writing the song in early 1968 when the Stones still had guitarist Brian Jones as a member. The song was originally titled "Get a Line on You" and dealt with Jones's ever-worsening addiction to drugs and his detachment from the rest of the band

RAZORMADE, DTK, supermd and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Sure doesn't sound like Taylor to me on that version. Nowhere near as polished as his playing. I'm no expert on Rolling Stones outtakes but according to this site the track was actually first recorded in March 68 with Brian.

Get A Line On You

George Blair likes this.
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Nico Zentgraf and Felix Aeppli both place it as July 1970. Either way, no Brian Jones.

Spadeygrove, Hiraeth and John Fell like this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Keno's site has a reputation for not always being correct.

Martin Elliott's book The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions says it's most likely Taylor.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Hep Alien and Hiraeth like this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Rank Outsider is a bit of an old fashioned English term. It was used in an episode of the tv comedy Dads Army.

RANK OUTSIDER | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

I shall try again to understand the lyrics of Tumbling Dice! Great song, performance etc definitely top 10 Stones for me.

Rickchick and tkl7 like this.
  18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I love Winter and yes very VAN like but that for me is a good thing. Definite album highlight for me. Lovely sound on the recording - gorgeous really.

The Quiet One, JoeF., DTK and 2 others like this.
  19. George Blair

That's some pretty wobbly slide playing. Both Brian and Mick Taylor were far better than that, unless of course they were all loaded at the time. Very likely!

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Well, it is an outtake so possibly it's just a run through and the track was abandoned at that point and reworked later.

21. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

I agree. I think its likely that it's neither of them.

George Blair likes this.
  22. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

That slide sounds a bit to me a bit like Ry Cooder, the way he played on Memo From Turner.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Shine A Light / (Can't Seem To) Get A Line On You seems to be something of a conundrum. The DCC gold CD states:

(Can't Seem To) Get A Line On You: Recorded at Olympic Sound Studios, September & October 1969.

(Can't Seem To) Get A Line On You: Mixed at Olympic Sound Studios, October 1969.

We are contractually unable to give detailed information as to who plays what on this album. Tracks 15 and 17 were "works in progress".*

* - Track 17 is (Can't Seem To) Get A Line On You, and the DCC simply states 'Mick sings while Ringo drums' and credits the song to Leon Russell.

However:

Nico Zentgraf has the following entry for Feb.-March 1969 (I've edited out all the other songs):

690209A 9th February - 31st March: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller.
    Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
    - Shine A Light I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version (31st March)

and in the latest version of Martin Elliot's book (entry 431) he also lists Get A Line On You as an early forerunner for Shine A Light recorded on March 31 during the LET IT BLEED sessions, and goes on to talk about the Leon Russell recording at Olympic in Oct./Nov. and suggests Mick Taylor played slide guitar. But Nico's entry for Oct./Nov. reads:

690904A 4th September & first half of October: LEON RUSSELL. London, Olympic Sound
    Studios. Producers: Denny Cordell and Leon Russell. Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
    - Hurtsome Body (Leon Russell) -CW on drums
    - I Put A Spell On You (Leon Russell) -CW on drums
    - The New Sweet Home Chicago (Leon Russell/Marc Benno) -probably CW on
    drums, maybe BW on bass
    - Roll Away The Stone (Leon Russell/Greg Dempsey) -BW on bass
    Musicians: BW (bass)/CW (dr)/Leon Russell (voc, gtr, keyb, bass, perc)/Chris
    Stainton (keyb)/George Harrison (gtr)/Ringo Starr (dr)/Klaus Voorman
    (bass)/B.J. Wilson (dr)/Alan Spenner (bass)/Jim Gordon (dr)/Steve
    Winwood (keyb)/Jim Horn (sax)/Clydie King (voc)/Joe Cocker (bvoc)/
    Bobby Whiplash (bvoc?)/Greg Dempsey (bvoc?)

So, no mention of (Can't Seem To) Get A Line On You in 1969, but he has the following entry for July 1970:

700700A July: LEON RUSSELL. London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Denny
    Cordell. Sound engineer: Anton .... Recording of a demo.
    - Shine A Light (MJ/KR) -under title Get A Line On You
    Line-up ‘Shine A Light’: MJ (voc)/BW or David Spenner (bass)/Leon Russell
    (p)/Ringo Starr (dr)/George Harrison (gtr)

Note the guitarist's name!

Felix Aeppli in his published book reckons it was recorded in January 1970 at Olympic featuring:

Jagger (vocals), Russell (piano, guitar), Alan Spenner (bass - unconfirmed) and Ringo (drums) -- Early version of Shine A Light (Jagger/Richards), track credited to Leon Russell but probably a Jagger/Russell composition.

but his online version (https://aeppli.ch/Stones/TUGJaggerUp.pdf) has changed the entry to:

1057B First half of July, 1970  Olympic Sound Studios, London: LEON RUSSELL, LEON RUSSELL (Dunhill Classics GZS-1049 DCC24, CD [US], Jan. 25, 1994, bonus track); GET A LINE ON YOU (BT CD); WINGLESS ANGELS (BT CD): 1. (Can’t Seem To) Get A Line On You (Russell) MJ: vocals; Leon Russell: piano, producer; George Harrison or Chris Stainton: slide guitar; Alan Spenner (unconfirmed): bass; Ringo Starr: drums; Glyn Johns: engineer; Denny Cordell: producer; – NOTES: Cut 1: Early (demo?) version of Shine A Light (Jagger, Richards); credited to Leon Russell but actually a Mick Jagger composition begun in 1968.

now crediting the slide guitar to George Harrison or Chris Stainton.

It would be fascinating to know how a Jagger song originally tried with the Stones (if it is the same song) then became something to try with Russell before once again becoming a Stones song years later.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This assumes the information is correct and the song was tried out with Stones before Leon Russell.

In addition, I doubt Chris Stainton played the slide on it as he normally played keyboards and on rare occasions bass guitar.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

He is the guitar player on Leon Russell's cover of Beware of Darkness (his slide guitar is only heard in the mix Steve Hoffman did on the Del Rack Delta Lady compilation.)