Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just received the vinyl box - so my clear "Goats Head" can stay sealed :uhhuh: - and have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. The outer box is nice but inside there are only two double albums. Of course I already knew but the lack of any visual extras gives this a slightly incomplete feeling....

Boomy likes this.
  2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So if I'm reading and understanding correctly there are people on here that are saying the MP3 Google download of the Brussels show (which I have on my Ipod) actually sounds better and less compressed that the vinyl?

twicks and tinnox like this.
  3. simon beck

simon beck Forum Resident

Craig Silvey actually mixed all the outtakes except the 3 Glyn Johns mixes... But I do agree with your post! The new mixes does indeed "tie the room together" and puts it beside Exile!! Wondering if they do indeed remix "It's Only Rock & Roll"? And Black & Blue" does have a lot of outtakes...

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just played the album plus extras. Pristine pressing. And this coming from GZ? W.O W.!

The remix is good but damned this outtakes etc disc is terrific. This does what a truly great "Deluxe" set should do: It inhances the albums experience.

"Brussels Affair" tomorrow. I just don't get why they couldn't at least throw a poster into the vinyl box.

Still: I love how this album got the box set treatment! :righton:

5. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Yes. If you do not mind a couple of digital clicks in Angie ;)

The Beave likes this.
  6. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I think they're referring to the FLAC version that was available here in the UK, if not the whole of Europe. But apparently, yes.

stef1205 likes this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just letting you know I’m enjoying the 4 LP set, I was definitely in when I saw the live set included.

Jam757 likes this.
  8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’m probably going to get it but can’t hide that I’m frustrated more effort wasn’t put into the mastering/sound quality. Anyone care to compare the live material to the other vinyl From The Vault releases. I actually own all of them and find them to be quite enjoyable. Is this new one at least comparable to those releases?

raye_penber, CBackley and tinnox like this.
  9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have several of the From the Vault releases. I find The Brussels Affair in this set to be comparable. If you enjoy the other releases, you’ll probably love this one.

tinnox, Gonzo-a-gogo and Jam757 like this.
  10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Finally got my 2 clear vinyl lp sets. Was worried about them getting lost but their here.
    Incredible between this and the McCartney debacle this is just getting crazier.
    Beave

11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Rainbow Ends is the work of a man who has lived and experienced life and it’s challenges. There was 43 years between Farewell To Paradise and Rainbow Ends. How anyone can fool themselves into believing that Emitt Rhodes of 2016 could sound as Emitt did in 1970/71, is beyond me.
    Rainbow Ends is a revealing and honest work from a man who has gone through tragedy and dissapointment and chose to write about it. It’s a bittersweet and introspective statement.
    A dissapointment would be if Emitt didn’t stand by his words on his debut album: “I have to say the things I feel / I have to feel the things I say”.
    On Rainbow Ends he did EXACTLY that. And yes, life wasn’t easy for the old warrior, but he was honest about it and Chris Price and his musicians delivered the perfect stylistic backdrop for the record.
    The album is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That’s all I needed to hear! Sold!:D

CBackley likes this.
  13. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Think you meant to post this on a different thread.

Chris Bernhardt, jhm and Jam757 like this.
  14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Rainbow Ends the lost Secret Stones album from 1970! Lol

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I mean advice of despatch.

16. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Loving this clear-vinyl 2-LP set! I'm playing it at a notch or two below the normal volume I play records, so yes, it is mastered loud, but that's not detracting. Mine is the Japanese version (PDCT-5007/8). What's different? Dunno, apart from the LP-sized booklet has Ian McCann's essay in Japane translation only and the lyrics in English and in Japanese translation. Maybe it was cut in Japan, I don't know. By the way, I want to read Ian McCann's essay in English. Could anyone send me a photo of it?

Someone here complained that their Disc 2 was noisy. Can't remember if his was the black or clear version, but this clear-vinyl set has no surface noise problem. Only had one listen through and I can't put much of what I'm enjoying into words yet, but it's all positive!

The sequencing of the second disc is great. Straight into the three 'new' tracks, so it feels like a properly expanded Goats Head Soup. Lots of stand-outs, but one that hit me strong was the opener to Disc 2, Side 2: 'Heartbreaker (Instrumental)'. Whoah!—What a slowburn, all-powered, slow-and-steady rock track: self-assured and just cutting that groove!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  17. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

It is a great vocal performance. Do you know if it was done at the original 1972 recording sessions?

18. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I do not know 100% but i have to assume so. That would be a lot of effort to re-record vocals for what is listed as a Demo.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Some of the vocal parts seem slightly 'mannered' like his latter day vocals to my ears. Who knows though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

Comparing it to a modern vocal ballad like “Following The River”, I have to say it features vintage vocals.

21. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

I have a hunch Jagger wants the over-compressed masters. I believe he wants it to “compete” with what modern bands are doing.

Just a theory, but even when revisiting the past, he keeps his foot in modern times.

Yes, I understand there is a push to move away from over-compressed masters, but I have witnessed a certain lack of trust in the streaming systems’ abilities to “normalize” all the music to where you don’t hear some sort of drop-off in power and volume. He’s probably playing it safe. “Master it like the top 10.”

22. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

I think it might actually be from 1970 since that's when Mick reportedly wrote it. And since Nicky's the other pianist on the demo, yet they cut the final version with Billy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

It is an Atmos mix. Like every Atmos mix, it uses metadata to send sound objects to different areas in the room and to create a 3D sound. You have to use an Atmos processor to retrieve the info within that metadata and get audio to other speakers, beyond the 7.1 you see on the graph. Without an Atmos processor and height speakers, you will still get all the sounds but they will not be presented from the proper direction the mixing engineer intended.

aphexj and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I wish they left all that Atmos stuff for movies (or just drop it for good), and created a 'standard' 5.1 mix for people who like to listen music in surround.
    My system (no Atmos) doesn't process this disc very well. The surround speakers don't give much. The bass is very weak for some reason.
    I have only one other Atmos blu-ray disc -Kraftwerk. That one sounds great on the same system.
    What is interesting the Oppo 103 shows Dolby TrueHD for both discs, but Marantz sees it differently through the HDMI. Dolby TrueHD for the GHS, but just 7.1 surround for the Kraftwerk. Must be some difference in the encoding.

OldSoul likes this.
  25. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I wouldn't be so quick to throw Atmos out with the bathwater. The Kraftwerk shows how great the format can be. We will have to see how this Atmos mix stacks up against other mixes. Very few complaints about Abbey Road.

weekendtoy, JakeM and ~dave~~wave~ like this.