Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Iam still yet to read the book from the GHS Super Deluxe Set.
    I used to own Dark Stuff, wasn't there chapters about Brian and then also Keith?

2. All Down The Line

It is what it is, Johns should have been more worried about his own debilitating habits!
    As for Taylor I think he left for a variety of reasons and he trots out various ones at any given time but his own drug use was far more advanced in 1975 when with Jack Bruce.

3. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Part of it was excised, as Nick highlighted Keith’s issues at the time in The Dark Stuff. Although, in Apathy of The Devil, Nick told an awesome tale of what happened when Dickey Betts saw a cow in a field.

ex_mixer and cdb3 like this.
  4. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Yes; the Brian chapter is entitled Tortured Narcissus. There’s also some interesting accounts of Elvis Costello, Neil Young, Roy Orbison, etc. The Dark Stuff is a great book on some of music’s mavericks.

All Down The Line and ex_mixer like this.
  5. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Thank you for that information. Do you have DR values for the main album on CD and vinyl? I have the deluxe edition on HD download and found the whole thing to be brickwalled. I am wondering if the vinyl version would be any better. I actually liked the new mix but I hate brickwalling.

6. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

All DR values were listed in this thread as soon as the album was released last year. Just use search engine for DR in this thread ;).

7. All Down The Line

Yeah I loaned it to an old school friend in the 90's who nicked it, guy went on to become a cop!

steelinYaThighs and ODShowtime like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

listening to the big deluxe goats box now

9. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Email him to report an historical crime. Operation Dark Stuff, ominous indeed.

All Down The Line and paulybauls like this.
  10. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

Yeah, it's not on Andy Johns really. He was just stating his opinion. Taylor obviously felt he was doing the right thing at the time and that's all that matters. No one could have predicted what direction his career would have gone from that point onward. He obviously had the chops but superstar guitarists like Beck & Clapton are the exception rather than the rule.

11. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Exactly mate. You either survived the 70's or you didn't. Mick Taylor or anyone else. To blame it on The Stones is absurd.

12. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

You can get the Atmos modules that sit on top of your right/left front towers and they fire upwards towards the ceiling. The Klipsch ones work great I had them. Best way to go from 5.1 to 7.1 Atmos set up if you can't install ceiling speakers.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Unfortunately Mick Taylor isn't frontman/leader material. Clapton very much is, Beck is also in his own way. Chops are only part of it.
    Average looking dude without any special charisma, decent songwriter, not a very good singer...brilliant lead guitarist.
    He got big headed while with the Stones due to his young age and unhealthy drug consumption and his wife bigging him up.

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It didn't help that blues rock was going out of vogue and other guitarists playing in that style like Alvin Lee, Robin Trower, Harvey Mandel, Leslie West, Tony McPhee/Groundhogs & Kim Simmonds/Savoy Brown for example were starting to lose their recording contracts in the later 70's.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Very true yes.

Matthew Tate and steelinYaThighs like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, Mick Taylor was kind of like the Don Felder in the band. His guitar playing was indispensable to the sound when he was a member and he made some great contributions, but ultimately, he was replaceable.

17. Rising Sun

He must of really felt he could do no wrong back in those days. Joined Mayall's band at what, like 15 ??
    Sitting in the same seat Eric Clapton & Peter Green filled before him. Plucked out of there soon after
    to join the greatest R&R band in the world by some estimates. It must of surely looked like the world was his oyster back then.

enro99, supermd, The MEZ and 6 others like this.
  18. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Similar situation with Neal Schon, another teen guitar wonder. Except Neal went on to fame and fortune with Journey after he left Santana while Taylor languished after leaving the Stones.

The MEZ, jeremylr and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Rising Sun

Yeah, it certainly seems that way, compared to what went before. I recently was listening to the 73 Brussels live show. He was really incredible at that time. Overall I'd say I prefer the 69 and 72 live Stones but Taylor in particular was really on fire in 1973, just before he departed, ironically enough.

enro99, tedg65, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I was pleasantly surprised when I realised that the first 3 tracks of CD2 are on the Blu-Ray in stereo and Atmos. It's not even mentioned on the sleeve on the rear of the box!

21. All Down The Line

Call it a Soup coup!

22. PunkSaxMix

PunkSaxMix free yourself from apathy

I haven't read every page in this thread yet, but would like to put in a word for Hide Your Love (alternate).

Have played it for days thunderstruck.

In general the GHS deluxe is revelatory. Impressive technical discussions in this thread cover much of what I heard. It's clearly a technological accomplishment that takes the album from back in the day and pushes it to the forefront of Stones artistic achievement.

I have been listening closely for months and have not exhausted what it offers by a long shot.

--And this thread is quality too.

supermd, enro99, tedg65 and 10 others like this.
  23. PunkSaxMix

PunkSaxMix free yourself from apathy

And that throaty sax. I could live in Bobby Keys's lungs. :) What a powerhouse. Lawdy

24. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I'm going through my music room (my wife very nicely asked if I would mind clearing some of it out), and I came upon a hard drive of surround mixes that had (among others) the KBFH Brussels broadcast in the original Quad mix. I must have downloaded it sometime long ago and never listened to it. I'm listening now. Simply amazing. This era of the band has never been topped (although some eras have come close).

25. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I had no idea it had a quad mix!