Rolling Stones half speed masters available for presale ....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some of the titles in the 2018 box are available on Acoustic Sounds presale... Was there a formal announcement for this? I can't find one.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

There’s another thread for this I think but I don’t think there was an announcement, just appearing on different sites, I noticed there’s no GHS , is that a pretty good indication we are definitely getting the goats re issue ? Wonder why they didn’t release the half speed master of it ?

3. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

I believe when the original boxed set was released, it was stated that the individual releases would follow. I guess it just took years for it to happen. The same was said of the Mono box LPs; the individual releases of that, of course, has yet to occur. I'm glad to have the chance to pick up half-speed masters of Black and Blue, and It's Only Rock and Roll. Mine are not in the best of shape.

All Down The Line and Queezma like this.
  4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Great news.
    I'll grab Steel Wheels, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang.

VinylSoul and kt66brooklyn like this.
  5. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I've been waiting for re-presses of It's Only Rock And Roll and Steel Wheels. I hope they sound good.

These are now showing up on Amazon as well, by the way.

ArpMoog likes this.
  6. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

7. Eric Weinraub

I have the box and I have to say GHS probably sounds the worst ... I like the original better.

AnalogJ and Carl80 like this.
  8. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Finally! Voodoo Lounge has been on my wishlist for years but I suspected that spending $100 on a copy would be a waste of money.

ODShowtime, Myke and ssmith3046 like this.
  9. stever

stever Senior Member

What was the verdict on the sound and pressing quality of these?

10. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

I don't think there's such a thing as an audiophile GHS. I have the SACD and the version from the new box, and an original. It's just the recording.

11. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Top draw, sound and quality , No Exile cause that has already been released as a half speed master , has Sticky Fingers? Interesting about no GHS.

12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

For vinyl, these are excellent. I still prefer the SACDs from Japan which are sadly hard to find. Goats Head Soup will be out later this year for the super deluxe edition.

Carl80 likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's a deluxe edition Goats Head Soup planned for later this year, but who knows if and when it will happen? When it does I can imagine the half speed vinyl reissue will come out then.

BlueJay and Carl80 like this.
  14. stever

stever Senior Member

Is Sticky Fingers part of this series?

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No and neither is Exile. You’ll have to buy the box to get them.

16. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Are they not available anymore from their individual releases a few yrs ago?

17. Eric Weinraub

Exile half speed is already out ... there is stock available if you look around... I don't think Sticky Fingers will get a reissue to maintain the exclusivity until Keith needs another blood transfusion...

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

11/2010 :

1. The Rolling Stones - Voodoo Lounge - Original 1994 UK Double LP
    Discs: VG++ (slight warp on first record, slight edge noise, very clean overall)
    Cover: NM (small "Marketed by Caroline" sticker on back)
    Inner Sleeves: NM
    $40

Thanks for reminding me ! :tiphat:

Revolver likes this.
  19. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Pfft, whatever Myke. Bet it's not half speed mastered though :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Myke likes this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Really? Are you sure? I haven’t seen it.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I was referring to the new half speed mastered cuttings in the 2018 box set. They weren’t sold individually prior to the few that were recently issued by UMG. One had to buy the box set to get them or find an online seller that broke up the box.

Perhaps I was wrong.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  22. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

These are available as a pre-order from uDiscover.

If perchance they have another sale anytime soon, might be a way to get some at a discount.

I don't recall any consensus on these being better sonically than original pressings, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I might pick up Voodoo Lounge regardless..

Carl80 likes this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sticky Fingers and Exile are pretty good. Exile doesn’t better any of the original US pressings that I own.

rednedtugent, Carl80 and riverrat like this.
  24. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Ahhhh ok. There is an Exile Half Speed that was released prior to the box set which I have and it sounds fantastic. I also have an unopened box set (which is also half speed) which apparently uses a different master, so I don’t know which is better between the two. There is also a reg 180g which I am told “stay away”. Sticky Fingers was also released (which isn’t half speed) but sounds excellent to my ears.

Carl80 likes this.
  25. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

There not going to release Sticky Fingers and Exile so some people still go for the complete set in the box you would think, it’s worth it though with Sticky having the real zipper and Exile original sleeve unless you just want to pick and choose, good people have an choice now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.