Rolling Stones half speed masters available for presale ....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Just compared the Sticky Fingers to my Virgin CD version. Nothing in it to me. Nice to have it on vinyl for the collection but not a revelation.

mick_sh, mschrist, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  2. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Quick update on this. I've just received this reply from HDTracks:

I have confirmed with our Digital Content Manager that the tracks were intentionally omitted by the record label. The label did not specify why the titles were not included in the hi-res deluxe release.

I find it hard to believe that the label wanted the deluxe edition of one of the most famous albums in history to only include half the original album!

3. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

So do I. It’s on Qobuz like that too. I wonder how many have been sold. I also wonder how many unsuspecting customers didn’t check the listings before buying.

4. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

At the average price of $100, and most are priced way above that, this album is in my definition and I'm sure many others of being "very pricey". I'm just saying that the reissue sounds fine, and is way cheaper than the original.

The Rolling Stones - Bridges To Babylon (Vinyl, UK & Europe, 1997) For Sale | Discogs

sway61 likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It may be your definition of "very pricey" but an album where there are 50(!) copies for sale on Discogs alone is totally not Grale material. It's neither rare nor hard to find. :tsk:

6. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I never said it was the "holy grail" you said it. Ok maybe it's not the that rare.

7. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Just got mine.... Amazon order. No working zipper (kind of figured that and really not that big a deal to me.... i buy these to listen to more than look at but the cover art can be a nice additional bonus).
    But more disappointing is the vinyl was in a light cardboard inner sleeve. No anti-static. Hmmm

Isamet likes this.
  8. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I haven't heard the original CD since it came out, but sadly, you are most correct about the sound of the new pressing. It's pretty dull sounding.

Ben Adams likes this.
  9. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I'm thrilled that there's no zipper because nearly every zippered copy on earth comes out of the shrinkwrap with noise all over "Wild Horses" thanks to the stupid thing, and used ones are worse since most people store the album with the zipper up. Took me forever to find a copy of a decent mastering that was quiet enough not to make me suicidal.

hi_watt and sharedon like this.
  10. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Just got the Sticky Fingers this week and I really like this Half Speed pressing. I feel like I don't have to find another

zither, mschrist, Isamet and 3 others like this.
  11. stephen

stephen Forum Resident

I’m just back from quite a long wait at the local post office delivery centre with my new half speed copies of Black and Blue and It’s Only Rock and Roll. Unlike other Abbey Road/Miles Showell half-speed reissues there are no obi strips adding to the fairly half-hearted feel of the products. It’s as if the studio are not aligning themselves with this launch although a quick search took me to a press release for them from May with some comments from Miles.

Queezma likes this.
  12. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

When the Police released the stand alone half speeds from the box set a few months back they also did not include the boy's indicating they were half speed etc.

13. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

My copy of It's Only Rock 'N Roll sounds decent. Not their finest work but a fun listen nonetheless!

14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I have Some Girls and Sticky Fingers and both are decent but not outstanding. I A-B’d them both with UK and German first pressings and the first pressings won very easily.

jgrillo and marcfeld69 like this.
  15. Just got my Sticky Fingers 2020 half-speed.

Has nothing on the 2015 EU press. 2015 press is so much clearer and punchier!

bmh5879 and mschrist like this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought this might be a good time to go ahead and buy the only Stones album I don't have. Undercover from 1983. For me a dreadful decade musically. Only SRV and Robert Cray made it worth not keeping the radio off the entire 10 years.
    So I call it up on Spotify and 3 songs in I'm reminded why it's the only Stones album I don't have.
    I really don't like it. :laugh:

Gonna search this thread for words like "analog" and "Steel Wheels" now, because my Japanese Sticky Fingers can't be bested by anything, inc.a live performance.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I see these on AS with the sale this weekend. I don’t own SF or EOMS. Do I pick these up or are there better LP versions for equal or similar price to be had? I don’t need a zipper I use one twice daily as it is.

18. domesticmachine

To follow up I see a lot of complaints about the difference in the sleeves and art compared to the box. How’s the LPs compare? Do they sound good? I don’t need postcards and a poster. I already like The Rolling Stones.

19. capesq

capesq Well-Known Member

Agreed. There was ZERO punch to Sticky Fingers, in my opinion, to the point that I had to double check my set up.

Man at C&A, JL6161 and mschrist like this.
  20. domesticmachine

Ok so I need a 2015 Sticky fingers. What about exiled?

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just picked up "Voodoo Lounge", cleaned it and sampled "Love Is Strong". Holy crap does this one have some bottom end/punch to it big time. This version sounds sweet as can be. If the entire record shines like this, an absolute winner! I will come back after I listen all the way through...

You could not have said it any better! Thanks so much...

marcfeld69, Krzych, Revolver and 2 others like this.
  22. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

“Thru and Thru” sounds fantastic!

Revolver and scotti like this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can't wait to listen to all of it later. Saving it for when the wife comes downstairs to hang out as she's a big fan as well. Really appreciate that you responded to my question about it earlier!

And hey, your a Bowie fan, so very nice. About to fire up The Man Who Sold The World followed by my possible favorite "Aladdin Sane" and then The Stones...

Bowie Fett likes this.
  24. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

The original VL CD has plenty of low end as well, just saying.

25. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

It’s supposed to be the same version as the box set

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.