Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Hence converting the DSD to PCM so they could NR it.

Here's a good example, "Miss Amanda Jones" from Between The Buttons. The top spectral plot is the released SACD, the bottom is from the 2002 SACD Sampler, which was released before the mastering was final (including the decision to NR sections of the song)

[​IMG]

Looking at the spectral plots from the CDs, you can't spot where they've edited in the NR'd PCM sections but they're as clear as day on the high-resolution versions, be it SACD or 24/88 digital downloads.

@David del Toro, don't worry about Let It Bleed though, there's no evidence of NR on that one :)

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Beginning of Gimme Shelter.

David del Toro likes this.
  3. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Man, I just checked and also received Beggars instead of Stray Cats. I bought the box months ago and didn't realize this was an issue. Dreading the chat with Amazon service, but I'll give it a try.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I dealt with Abkco. Email : abancroft@ abkco.com

ODShowtime, Hep Alien and CraigC like this.
  5. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Thank you, did they send a replacement and did you provide proof of purchase?

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They only asked what number my box was if I remember correctly.

CraigC likes this.
  7. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Are all of the tracks on that SACD sampler NR free?

8. Laservampire

No, "She's A Rainbow", "Jiving Sister Fanny" and the end of "Factory Girl" are all NR'd

Note that "She's A Rainbow" and "Factory Girl" are NOT NR'd on the actual album releases.

9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That's bizzare. Very haphazard, it seems.
    Anyway, thanks for that. I did not know that.

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I just emailed Abkco to try and get my missing side 1/2 of Stray Cats. Has anybody received a missing copy this way?

BTW, I only recently discovered Jiving Sister Fanny and man that song smokes! It would have fit nicely on Sticky Fingers or Exile IMO.

Pali Gap likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

ABKCO, it seems.

yardbuzzard and Laservampire like this.
  12. Laservampire

The only thing they're consistent at is being inconsistent.

13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Without knowing any of this, the 21x5 sampler was my first experience of any of abkco's "actual DSD" instead of hi-res PCM versions sprung forth from 2002. Made me an instant acolyte (but not convert. I'm still not buying SACD). Stunning.

But I also recently gave a listen to some of the 24/176 PCM releases I did buy over those years from HDTracks - presumably a result of the 2002 project, especially considering the track lineup on "More Hot Rocks" - before I got any DSD-compatible equipment, and they (the 24/176s) are rewarding listens, in my book. It's hard to consider them "second class" anything. (Not that anyone actually said that....)

Mosthaf and Flaming Torch like this.
  14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

7digital USA was letting people buy individual tracks off "in mono" at first only in 24/96, then in 24/192, so I ended up with a handful of each format before deciding that just getting the whole DSD download set from Acoustic Sounds was the shortest distance between two points.

I haven't done any comparisons between "in mono"s at all, but I only chime in to say, yeah, there are people out there with a bit of all three. :)

As I've posted upthread, IMHO the ABKCO 24/176 downloads based on the 2002 DSD project are not chopped liver. And they're all still available at HDTracks (USA). 7digital is carrying 24/96 and 24/192 versions of some of this same ABKCO catalog (alongside the 24/88's and 24/176s!), so I'm not sure what the provenance would be of the 24/96/192s.

I see a "2013" date on 7digital's "More Hot Rocks" 24/96... :sweating:Can't recall what happened in 2013.. oh, wait. Grrrrrr!

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. On HD Tracks UK although quite a few Stones albums are shown they all from the ABKCO catalogue and when you investigate further some are not available due to licensing restrictions (same with many Elvis albums and a fair few other acts). Interestingly the Neil Young titles that had a DVD Audio release are also in 24/176 like the ABKCO 2002 sacd hybrid albums.
    I had to google the expression "chopped liver" (sorry) so have learnt something else!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  16. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

Amy from abkco contacted me by email. She asked for a copy of my receipt. She apologized about two copies of beggars banquet,and said she is sending me another copy.

17. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I’m still waiting for a reply but this is good news!

18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

If you bought the box from Target they won't help you. So weird.

19. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

It took a week for a reply.

20. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

I got my album in a plain white jacket. Took a week.

CraigC likes this.
  21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Sequencing for the US Aftermath is also substantially different to the UK one. Almost a completely different album.

Hep Alien and Dave Hoos like this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Up to Aftermath nothing really was ‘authentic’.
    The band wasn’t really involved with putting together the albums. Such a thing wasn’t really a big deal back in the day as they would become, being cobbled together from sessions inbetween tours.
    One can argue the first two UK albums are authentic, but the US Out Of Our Heads and December’s Children (in it’s own way) are as well. The US OOOH was released about 6 months before the UK configuration.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

True what you say about them being cobbled together and that the band and manager had the same amount of input for the records on both sides of the Atlantic up to Flowers (after which the albums for both markets became identical in both).
    I believe though that just the first UK album was specifically recorded in one studio to make an album. Rolling Stones No. 2 was recorded in the UK and US and some of its tracks had been released earlier on 12X5.
    Aftermath and Between The Buttons were each recorded in one studio although the track listings were geared specifically to both markets.
    Flowers was very "cobbled together".
    I agree with you that the releases in both countries can be considered authentic.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Aftermath, yes. Buttons may have been recorded in 3 or more studios though.

Magnus A., Dave Hoos and Adam9 like this.
  25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I don't know what the band and Oldham were [or were not] involved in, but a preference for the UK vs. US albums isn't clear-cut in my mind.

I made sense of it all with some chronological compilations. I've really enjoyed these:

Rolling Stones: first 3 Decca vs. 5 London albums
    I may have tweaked something or other since compiling the sets in the link above, but "chronological" is the best way to make sense of The Rolling Stones artistic evolution,
    and the PUNCH that they delivered.

Magnus A. and Hep Alien like this.