Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The true stereo mix of Satisfaction is strictly forbidden, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised seeing a fake stereo version at some point.

2. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

The one on Japanese Big Hits [P33L 25016] is not good enough?

lukpac likes this.
  3. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I can't be satisfied will be a fold down in mono. there is no dedicated mono mix, only stereo.
    You better move on, I don't remember any more, but that may be the same.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Only exists in mono.

5. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Now this is what I call a really helpful post. This is really, really good. Thanks very much for doing this.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

7. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I'm sorry to see they didn't use the DECCA logo on the covers. Those Stones have to do things differently, don't they?

goodiesguy and Classicolin like this.
  8. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I listened to this last night and it's nice to hear a (slightly) new take on an old favourite. The dreamier french horn in the intro is unexpected and lovely. But my pressing, or the transfer, is pretty bad, and it's especially sibillant in the loud sections. Clean vinyl, bought new ages ago and barely played, but it still sounds thin and noisy, unfortunately.

slane likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Same here:

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Why would that be? The stereo Satisfaction on the London Hot Rocks is an interesting listen although I prefer the mono.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Because ABKCO tends to mention how terrible it is.

BTW, that mix exists with a longer fade and slightly better sound on bootleg.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks yes it is on the reel time trip boot cd in great quality. I assume it is the same version as the London Hot Rocks. I am guessing the original release was the stereo Big Hits vinyl lp- is that correct?

13. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have a nice NM mono copies of Buttons and Flowers, USA London records, they sound very good. I also have Buttons in stereo, I prefer the mono for this album.
    Aftermath I like the stereo version, even better is a vinyl pressing from 1986 from abkco.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, same version on Reel Time Trip and Hot Rocks 1, with a longer fade on the former.

At the moment, I don't believe there has ever been a stereo release other than the Hot Rocks 1 CD. I've been told it was in stereo on an East German LP, but I have my doubts. I will verify that soon.

You may be the only one. The 1986 ABKCO issue of Aftermath was widely maligned.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  15. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

There are no inner sleeves nor a mini poster with Let it Bleed. After skimming the booklet that accompanies the box set, I doubt it will provide the average Stones fan with any insight.

That being said, please let's not let this devolve into another boring complaint about the packaging on this thread. Save that for the umpteen mono fold-downs and the pointless dubs of Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed.

To that end, enjoy this direct quote from the booklet:
    “While these two albums were not originally released in true mono (with the exception of “Sympathy for the Devil”), they were released in stereo and fan demand required us to include them in this package.”

lukpac likes this.
  16. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That's really strange, I have the original stereo version and a mono which sounds like a pillow was placed over the speakers. I don't understand how anyone would like that.
    The original stereo on London records is not to bad, I just thought the 1986 is very clear sounding pressing, good mids and good separation.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 1986 ABKCO is narrowed on many songs.

18. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

David Fricke - liner notes. Says it all

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  19. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I'm wondering if I should buy this set now, I have all the originals and most of the mono's. I have my Let It Bleed with the poster and inner sleeves. I have German pressing of Beggars in stereo and a UK pressing in mono. Why should I get this, because I'm a crazy Stones fan. :D

Dave Hoos and The Beave like this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Despite the fold-downs, as some songs didn't have mono mixes in the first place, I'm going for this set. I'd take fold downs, if that's what happened in the 60's for those tracks, rather than new mono remixes...though that would be cool, too.

gryff likes this.
  21. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Fan demand. See, the customer is still King.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  23. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Yeah, "fan demand" sounds like something pout of the sixties. At least they haven't referred to the band as "the boys".

nbadge and Dave Hoos like this.
  24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

goodiesguy, Plan9, LSP2003 and 2 others like this.