Rolling Stones in Mono reissue - 1/20/23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nicode70, Feb 25, 2021.

1. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

• Country of origin ‏ : ‎ Czech Republic
    We know what that means...yikes.

englishbob and FlorentinePogen like this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

So was the first pressing, and it hasn’t exactly diminished the demand for that one has it?

Daveymoore, Adam9, MHP and 1 other person like this.
  3. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I found the Amazon UK listing page. However I can find no other details for this box set. Is it a reissue of the 2016 Mono AAA box ? If so, is there a link to a PR release, or report from a reputable site ?

TY

Nicode70 likes this.
  4. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Demand and quality are two different things. GZ has had some awful quality control issues lately. Buy from somewhere that has easy returns (like Amazon) is all.

5. hutlock

Sure. I guess my point was that they pressed the first one and I don’t see people here (or anywhere) complaining about the job they did. So why would it be different exactly?

walrus likes this.
  6. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

A GZ product from 2016 is not the same as one from 2022 or even the last couple years.

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well if it's anything like the last few releases from Abkco, There will be no mention of anything.
    Case in point, The single albums like 12 by 5 that are now available. The single's collection had no PR.

8. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

The 2016 wasn’t AAA, though.

9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I thought the pressing quality was great of the first box but the box , quality of the sleeves and booklet was quite poor so hoping for an improvement this time round on the packaging side.

10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Nothing wrong with the original 2016 box.
    And I don’t believe it will an issue this time either.
    By the way: “Yikes” was popular to yell/say 40 years ago.

The 2016 box was never AAA. And yet it sounded fantastic. The covers, however, was not good. Hope they correct it this time.

Pancat, hutlock and NunoBento like this.
  11. hutlock

Ok then.

So I guess when you said “we know what that means”… “we” actually do not, because you seem to be the only one worried about this. So “we” can all just wait and see if it turns out problem-free like the first pressing or not.

savemenow and MHP like this.
  12. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

There is tons of documented issues with GZ over the past few years. You don’t have to believe it but a couple google searches will show many of these issues. Not a reference to the original run at all. I apologize that some members of this forum follow the products that are coming from the various pressing plants in the interest of buying well-pressed records, and avoiding those which aren’t - every plant encounters issues but GZ has fallen deep into that latter category recently. You’re welcome to ignore that and hope/expect that something pressed six years ago will be identical now - that’s entirely your prerogative. I’m simply illuminating the fact that GZ has experienced these issues and to consider that if you’re a prospective buyer, especially for a box set that may not be widely available.

It’s simple commentary related to this release since the vinyl landscape has changed quite significantly since this was last pressed. If you don’t like that sort of post then feel free to put me on ignore.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  13. aoxomoxoa

GZ was really bad for a while and then around the time the stones Box came out I noticed their pressing's got a lot better. I haven't bought anything for them in a while though

14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I think some people are wishing upon a star here......

No press report or official notice, just a listing on Amazon. Yep, never seen Amazon make a listing that was a mistake and not real. :whistle:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4BVP93L/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_29MSWZJ3JGV2H61EKHGK_0?tag=shtv.uk-21
    Product details
    Package Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 32 x 32 x 0.4 cm; 300 Grams
    Manufacturer ‏ : ‎ UMC - DECCA
    Label ‏ : ‎ UMC - DECCA
    ASIN ‏ : ‎ B0B4BVP93L
    Country of origin ‏ : ‎ Czech Republic
    Number of discs ‏ : ‎ 15

Yep, a 300 gram box set?, The box is 1/16 of an inch thick?, the ASIN # doesn't match anything on a google search.

And one more little problem: This box set was marketed and sold as a Limited product of 10,000 copies worldwide. If they do it again they could have 10,000 lawsuits.

£273.55 ? that's $334, witch was the price of the first one in 2016, do you really think they can do it all again at the same price 6 years later? And in this economy?

Stebbin, ODShowtime and The Beave like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Why do people care if their “collectable” box set gets repressed? Share the love.

So, you only bought the first LP box as an investment to be able to sell for profit once it went out of print?

I could not care less about flippers that are mad about their golden goose losing value. I buy this stuff for my own enjoyment, not for its resale value.

16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I don't know how you get that, but anyway.
    The box set was sold to the public as limited to 10,000 copies. They cant arbitrarily go and sell the same box set again because they want to make more money off it. They can't do it because another 10,000 people would like one now. Personal I though when it came out that the number of copies worldwide was very small for the stones, but that's what it is. So Abco/Stones made a promise to 10,000 customers as part of the sale that they would only make 10,000 copies.

Do you actually feel they should burn those customers selling them a false bill of goods?
    If they do actually put it out again are you going to support a company like that?

The Beave likes this.
  17. terry toww

terry toww Forum Resident

Limited to 10,000 copies on black vinyl. They can do as many as they like on coloured vinyl. If you don’t like it good luck with your lawyer.

18. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

New box set on vinyl is coming. Sad to see the 'investors' and 'flippers' losing their rag on here. LOL!

supermd, savemenow, JimBop and 7 others like this.
  19. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Right on. Thanks. Pre-ordered.

20. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

It's ABKCO! If there is money to be made, it will be done. I get where you're coming from. I'm not on board with The Beatles Mono Box being reissued. Something tells me this won't be an exact replica of the original. Something will be cut.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t think your skepticism is unfair. But I also think it’s far from a slam dunk this won’t happen either.

22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

1) how do you know they actually pressed all 10000?
    2) how do you know this is exactly the same as that set? Maybe it has new mastering, improved art, new dimensions, hence making it a new set and not the same as that set. Somebody in this thread claims its going to be colored vinyl, so its a different set.
    3) good luck with your lawsuit

23. aoxomoxoa

Happens all the time. Limited "numbered" edition. Non numbered edition. This time (maybe) color vinyl.
    Lawsuit? Doubt that highly

24. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i also have the Japanese box, it is a fantastic set packaging wise.

DK Pete likes this.
  25. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

If you think they would be the first company to do another run of a limited edition product, however slight or major the variation is from the original product, you'd be very mistaken. Companies like Run Out Groove do different runs of albums all the time after saying the original item was limited edition. As do many others. It is not new or rare in other words. They could do another run of this box set with colored vinyl, and not a thing anyone can do. I have no issue with it personally, limited edition runs are a major reason vinyl prices are stupid in many cases, especially on the secondary market. Sure it is nice when a item you bought raises in value, but I'd rather see Beatles mono vinyl in the for sale racks than only lining flippers pockets at this point. That from someone who owns a Beatles mono box set. I'd like to be able to buy extra copies if I want for normal prices, so another run is great in my eyes. The only time I'd be leery about it is in instances where the band says that it is a one time only thing, such as Chris Robinson Brotherhood vinyl sets, like Betty's Blends 1 and 2 where they said it was a one time only vinyl pressing. In that case it probably should stay as it was advertised, one time only on vinyl. I'd rather they went back on that and did more runs of them., in truth however because I am missing a couple of the one time only sets, like 1.