Rolling Stones in Mono reissue - 1/20/23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nicode70, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

No US Amazon (or other source) listing yet, right?
    Unless you want to pay $1799 for the original. 1 available

2. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

At this point I would not be shocked to see these individually sold at a local Walmart near you. even colored vinyl reissues of Beatles titles, mono or stereo would not shock me to see either. Record companies and artist themselves have seen the amount of product Walmart can move, Metallica anyone? In the end profit is king for catalog artist. The Beatles Walmart exclusive series, yep, I see it, sooner than later.

FlorentinePogen likes this.
  3. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Many here expected individually released titles back when the box was being discussed.

CDFanatic likes this.
  4. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

If I pre order do they bill the credit card right away?

5. Not Amazon. When it ships.

Carl80 and khanrahan like this.
  6. gkella

Thanks Mazzy

7. It’s ABKCO being cheap.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i love the contents of the original box but my goodness the box art is terrible.

here's hoping it's actually being reissued for folks that missed out the first time.

Carl80 and DocShipe like this.
  9. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

So I talked for quite awhile tonight with the owner of my record store. He said he doesn't see it on his distributors listings, but will call them tomorrow and talk directly with someone.

He thought it could be possible, he also said it could be UK only, and maybe Amazon contracting it to be made, so they could be exclusive to selling it. Similar to Walmart or Barnes and Noble putting records out.

They might need a new mastering, or use old metal parts to do it. Kind of like old records where you see the Nice Price, Best Buy, TwoFers and putting out low cost records. They bought the old metal parts after the labels didn't care about the title anymore and ran them till there was nothing left in the way of fidelity in the grooves.

MrSka57 and CBackley like this.
  10. gkella

I pre ordered from Amazon UK.
    Worked out to 370.00 Canadian.

The Beave likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Bruce Springsteen has entered the chat.

12. PatBateman86

PatBateman86 Forum Resident

My local record store could find no info on the 13th floor elevators reissues a few months back that i discovered via an amazon pre order.
    And god i hope they dont do a colored vinyl version. I dont think there is any need to make this re issue ( if it is real) unique from the initial 10k run. Bob dylan in mono had additional units made and the pink floyd mono reissue (yes minus some packaging features) spring to mind.

13. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Hopefully this will cause the 70s mono Decca pressings to drop in price, been meaning to pick them up for a while and am not interested in non-AAA LPs :)

Swordsandchains likes this.
  14. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

Personally if the artwork quality is the same as the previous version I’d just prefer to have them release the albums as stand alones.

15. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

On the flipside, they've got 3.... maybe 4.... album covers that are absolutely iconic. (Sticky Fingers, obviously... Let It Bleed... and then your pick from Exile, 1st press Some Girls, and the uncensored Beggars Banquet.)

Carl80, Muggles, Graham and 2 others like this.
  16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Dunno if that would be more economical than simply getting the whole reissued box. ABKCO also just did re-release the 12 x 5 mono edition... and Satanic got a mono reissue with its 50th anniversary box set. Really, how likely is it that 'Stray Cats' gets parted out as a standalone like the Beatles did for their Mono Masters set? Seems a little offbeat for mass consumption...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  17. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

They sure made a mess of this title, a ton of hands started to mess with it. It's best to get the first numbered copies IMHO.

This one the first issue in 2010 was a numbered copy and nothing saying it was limited to any quantity. It was mastered and cut at Sterling Sound by George Marino, pressed at RTI.
    Download Code Expires 12/31/2011
    Bob Dylan - The Original Mono Recordings

The second issue was not numbered, came out around 2015, still using George Marino mastering but RKS had to cut some more lacquers. Still being pressed at RTI
    Download Code Expires 12/31/2016" and a second run in 2019

This was more of a EU issue for their market.
    The third issue: MOV vinyl were supervised and eq'd by George Marino, and cut in the same room - on the same lathe as Marino by Ryan Smith @ Sterling Sound, NYC. These were pressed at Record Industry.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Are they planning on using multiple bright colored vinyl - like the "El Mocambo" set? That would be somehow wrong for the Mono box, but maybe all clear vinyl would work - like the short-lived Clearly Classic series from 2013.

19. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

True about Stray Cats, if stand alone I’d probably pick and choose for economic reasons, the double up on this set is crazy and to be honest I’d probably only listen to 3 or 4 more than once anyway.

20. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Amazon UK won’t ship this to Australia! Bugga. And not showing anywhere else in Amazon-Land.

21. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

It does show up in Spain, Italy and Sweden.

22. JimBop

JimBop Forum Resident

good advice...just preorder and see what happens

ODShowtime, JerryLived and Daveymoore like this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There's only two of them though, correct? S/T and #2?

24. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

happy for everyone who wants one but again the source is digital ....do people really prefer it to the analog 2010 stereo box....analog + stereo not as good as digital + mono?

25. throwupmyhands

throwupmyhands Forum Resident

Is there any indication that the 2010 box will ever happen again? Personally, I'd prefer analog/stereo over digital/mono, and I also prefer the packaging of the 2010 box. But I figured that ship sailed a long time ago.