Rolling Stones in Mono reissue - 1/20/23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nicode70, Feb 25, 2021.

1. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

Thanks my guy.

Gavaxeman and Sipuncula like this.
  2. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

True. Heard that while listening a while ago.

I don't know. The Stones' 60's catalog is such a mixed bag when it comes to quality and sources...it's probable that what ABKCO has put out 2002-and-later is as good as it's going to get. Their overall sound quality didn't really become linear until after Loog-Oldham and even then it didn't get fully ironed out until Sticky Fingers.

3. Onder

Onder Senior Member

amazon.es has it now too at 292,32€ (amazon.se has it too).
    Which is a very nice price as the cheapest sealed copy on discogs at the moment is for 1000€

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0B4BVP93L?tag=haggle-web-es-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=es_ES

Arknine, JimBop and Daveymoore like this.
  4. PatBateman86

PatBateman86 Forum Resident

Wow great news on the reissue. Recently I stumbled across an Amazon listing for the 13th floor elevators first two lps that was announced nowhere! Not even on the Charly Records website so Im hopeful this box will reemerge.

5. nabucho

nabucho Forum Resident

Great news. I missed the boat for this one in 2016. I did the same mistake with the Kinks mono box Set. I will not do the same mistake in 2022. Ordered from amazon.es. Let see what we are talking about...

Hope to see it soon on the shelves next to the favorite item of my collection : THE BEATLES MONO BOX SET (by the way thanks a lot M. Fermer who convinced me to go for the mono rather the stereo, it was not clear at the time what AAA is. M. Fermer was helpful for that)

CBackley and JimBop like this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Let's face it, it cost way too much...I literally remember rolling coins to help in getting it. But as a packaging nutcase for reissued sets of albums that "matter" to me, logic finds its way out the window.

Cool Chemist and supermd like this.
  7. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I bought the mono vinyl box set for half of this listing pre-sale price as part of a store closing sale. It's nice to see a reissue of this product if in coloured vinyl.

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah. If I get it, great.
    If it's a mistake, I still have a shelf full of stones LPs to enjoy.

JimBop and aphexj like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm pleased this is being reissued and people get another chance at buying this. It's a really nice set. I hope the CD box gets reissued too. It would be good to see things like this, The Beatles and The Kinks boxes stay available for a while, with regular repressings when necessary. A lot of work went into them, a very high standard of presentation of classic music. They shouldn't just be available to those with the deepest pockets. They understandably aren't cheap in the first place, but funding someone's greed really shouldn't be part of the experience.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's a good point, but there's nothing wrong with a second pressing now, six years after the original. 10,000 was clearly far too few for the demand. It sold out far quicker than The Beatles set. No one promised it would be limited forever. It has been for six years. Soon it might not be. If it was numbered originally, I can't remember, people still have the limited edition they were promised if the repress isn't numbered.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yes it sold out quicker, most likely they took that into account doing the stones and why they didn't make sa many. My store got 2-3 copies in, I bought one in 2016 the week they came in. For two years there was one sitting on the shelf, no one wanted it, at least for $335. I finally said screw it, are people stupid, they only made 10,000, it's mono, and the stones!!!!

I ended up buying it and I guess around 2019-20 people started to take notice of it and the prices started to go up. So no, to me it looked like the only reason people what it now is because it went up in value, plain and simple.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That is so often the case. I didn't buy the vinyl of this one as I'm lucky enough to have a very nice set of the UK originals, though a few are stereo, along with the 45s and EPs. I did pick up the CD box and that's still getting a lot of play, so much I don't think I've played an original LP since I got it.

I would have been tempted by the vinyl box if the attention to detail was better, like The Beatles set, but they weren't really much like the original LPs to look at, even though they made a half arsed attempt at it. The same is true of the recent vinyl singles box. The covers in the Stones CD mono box are mediocre looking. Far too dark colours on some of them.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Listening to the mono box as a personal celebration in advance of seeing them next month in Brussels, it occurs to me that they could have helped their legacy by focusing on the UK releases (including EP's and the iconic greatest hits sets). While I love the US versions, the inclusion of so many with duplication of tracks, and identical/similar cover shots, results in a confusing and somewhat overpriced collection. It makes it difficult to identify the Stones' canon, and in my opinion, to appreciate the greatness of their early albums.

Oh well, it's still wonderful that the collection will be available to fans who missed out the first time and, let's face it - things could have been much worse (. . . . newly remastered at Abbey Road Studios using the half-speed mastering process for the best fidelity . . . . . . )

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

This old fogey put in a pre-order.

timnor, Derek Slazenger and savemenow like this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got the Exile On Main Street from the box set that someone was selling separately, as my original is a bit worn. Half speed mastered at Abbey Road and puny sounding. There might as well not be a kick drum! It's clear, but compared to the original, it's thin. It's a shame as it was beautifully presented with the postcards and card inners.

16. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am actually a bit surprised this is getting a repress. It wasn't that popular when it was originally released and was around for quite a while. Even now on Discogs, the number that "want" this set is 600 or so, only 1/4 the number of people that "want" the Beatles in Mono. I remember fairly clearly that some dealers were breaking up the box and selling individual copies on Ebay.

Anyway, I think that the original numbered sets will retain some collector value.

marcb, Leonthepro and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It might just be because the Stones are high profile at the moment with the world tour. I can't imagine them making loads of the second pressing, possibly only 5,000.

19. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

the “want” function on discogs is a pointless measurement of desire. I want both those sets but theyre not in my want list because im not paying $1500+ for them and its not like someone is going to magically list one for $500, so im not going to even bother getting a notification with another new set just listed for $2300

nabucho, OldSoul and savemenow like this.
  20. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

are the Stones not ever not a high profile band?

OldSoul, Neonbeam and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Are you in for the Stones repress then?

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Very true, the sort of people who only notice them when they're in the news won't be after an expensive mono LP box set.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  23. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The Amazon UK listing says 15 discs. The original release had 16. Probably/hopefully a mistake.

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree that the number of "wants" may understate demand for an item at lower prices. However, I don't think that the information is pointless.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, the number of vinyl listeners has skyrocketed in the past 2 years.