Rolling Stones in Mono reissue - 1/20/23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nicode70, Feb 25, 2021.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yep, a worn original Monarch, played back on a decent system, has never been matched.

Tuck1977 and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Stray Cats is a double so might be listed as one disc or 2 depending on reliance for accuracy.

Graham likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Mine's a UK, but I think it uses the same metal work. It's superb and still the one I'll be playing. I'll probably sell the 2016 pressing from the box when and if I need too.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Actually, I don't know why I said "Monarch". The key is not whether it's a Monarch pressing, but whether the metalwork is from Artisan, which my UK pressing certainly is.

OldSoul and Man at C&A like this.
  5. PatBateman86

PatBateman86 Forum Resident

Anyone have access to Michael Fremer? Im sure he could provide more insight regarding this possible repress given his network.

Carl80 likes this.
  6. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

You are a cool old fogey!

sharedon likes this.
  7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

ALL records are limited, right?

Mazzy, hutlock and Swordsandchains like this.
  8. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Pretty much. If you buy vinyl as an investment and do not care about the music itself and it gets repressed, therefore destroying its after market value, then good. You deserve it.

If you bought for listening with no intentions to resale and are still upset about it being repressed for more people to have then you have potentially bigger psychological issues at hand.

OldSoul, Turbo2k, Daveymoore and 5 others like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Is it possible that you are confusing these pressings? There is no "2016 pressing from the box", the box was released in 2018. There is a 2016 standalone half-speed version of "Exile On Main St." though which doesn't have an especially great reputation.

The 2018 box version has a different mastering. And compares very favourable to my 1972 West German Artisan. Not thin at all.

Are you talking about this?

Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St

Or this?

The Rolling Stones - Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016

OldSoul and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Rick360/12

Rick360/12 Forum Resident

For anyone wondering if this is really a thing, I’ve just checked my Amazon auto-rip and sure enough, it’s the full collection, including the double “Stray Cats” available to play immediately (mp3 quality only).

Shawn and walrus like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The second one from the box, the 2016 in the title threw me. I don't like it much at all. As soon as the drums kick in on Rocks off it underwhelms me. It's far more exciting on the UK pressing, which is an Artisan too and has more bottom end to it. I probably like the 2018 more if I wasn't so used to the original. It actually sounds closer to the 80s CBS CD than the original album to me.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I have one of the limited to 10,000 Duane Allman 'Skydog' sets. They later pressed up a few more unnumbered minus some tat. No complaints from me.

4-2-7 likes this.
  13. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Well.....I had a weak moment and just pressed the trigger on the vinyl. Thinking, I don't actually have great copies of their 60's albums on vinyl so ok, why not just buy it! YOLO and all that..
    The 60's Stones are my favourite Stones.

Price seems reasonable too in the current market.

DK Pete and walrus like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Is this being reissued on cd too, or just vinyl?

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You can still get it new on CD from amazon (and cheaper on Discogs), so probably just vinyl.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  16. kevinkasson

kevinkasson Forum Resident

I just put in a pre-order too. I'm not even a very big Stones fan to begin with but the price is too good to pass up. Ends up being about $20/LP. I may cancel later but I figure I'll lock it in now in case I decide I want it. I ordered from the UK store, will probably switch to US if it gets listed here.

17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I was pretty happy when Amazon US put the original set on autorip; I only found it a few weeks ago. Was it always there?

I prefer vinyl but listening in the pool requires digital unless I want to get out every 20 minutes. It's great to have the whole thing playing non-stop.

I find it hard to believe they are reissueing this, but I've seen a lot of unbelievable stuff in the last week.

ATMP likes this.
  18. throwupmyhands

throwupmyhands Forum Resident

I've been hoping for the last couple years that we'd get a reissue of either this or 64-69 boxset to mark their 60th. I assumed after the singles collection that there'd be nothing else. But it's looking like I may actually get my much hoped for RS 60s box.

walrus likes this.
  19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Looks like an October release.

Carl80 likes this.
  20. malfano

malfano Forum Resident

Just preordered! Really regretted never grabbing this when it was widely available

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm glad it's this instead of the 64-69 box. I couldn't justify the mono box when I already owned the former, but I don't really enjoy 60's rock in stereo so i'm very glad they did this one. Sold my ABKCO box for around $800 and no regrets. There's been a number of pressings of Beggars and LIB released separately so I'll just grab those (since I also don't understand the purpose of the fold-downs other than some Allen Klein legal crap) at some point.

22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

It doesn’t seem to be available to view now on Amazon UK, what are people’s orders saying ?

23. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Apologies if I missed a link somewhere, please (re)post

24. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I don't think it is being repressed, and yes it was a sleeper

No doubt about that, it's funny people think if there is a reissue it changes the price of the first pressings. We have 70+ years of records, first pressings and reissues to show that's not true at all. For one thing, if at all a chance of this coming back out, it will be changed. They can't do a limited number of xxx/10,000 unless they change it significantly. They would have to give up the
    Limited and numbers. They could do color vinyl set, then do limited #. Or they can do what many bootleg issues do, Red Vinyl limited to 500, then Blue Vinyl limited to 500, the big scam, they should just drop the BS at that point. I'm glad I have black vinyl for starters if they do a color box, but this is still speculation.
    All records are limited, they all go out of print at some point whether it's in time or how many they are able to make. However marketing Limited xxx/10,000 copies means no more than 10,000 copies of that specific issue.
    If your talking about the vinyl box set, it's limited to 1,000 copies, I have that one too. The older CD set I don't know anything about that.

Actually the vinyl was 1,000 total and split like this:
    50 supper fan club deluxe, it came with a bunch of other stuff in a shipping box with the same box set.
    250 of another package including a little less chachas, and same box set.
    700 just the box set
    The box sets are all numbers the same way xxx/1,000

We shouldn't talk about this set, newbies will now want it because we called attention to it.

MrSka57 likes this.