Rolling Stones Let It Bleed on CD - Your preferred version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Time Is On My Side, Jan 18, 2020.

1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

50th CD is now my go to. The mono fold vinyl in the box is a treat, to these ears, tho.

2. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Not going to lie, the sound quality on that 50th Anniversary Edition is pretty darn good imo. I still kept my WG London. Curious what people think on a revealing system between the two.

3. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

2002 ABKCO though I only have the standard Redbook version, not the hybrid.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

WG London

kevin5brown likes this.
  5. I’ve heard four of these so my vote for them2002 SACD is based around that.

6. bosie

bosie Forum Resident

Toss up between WG London and the 50th, with the cd box mono following close behind

7. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Is there actually a difference between the Abkco remaster and the 50th anniversary disc

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

One of the better sounding rock titles of all time.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Define “ABKCO remaster”.

10. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Look in the dictionary for the word negligible

11. Detroit Rock Citizen

2002 [In Cd]

foobar2000 1.6.4 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2021-05-18 07:35:17
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Rolling Stones / Let It Bleed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR9 -0.01 dB -10.19 dB 4:31 01-Gimme Shelter
    DR9 -0.02 dB -11.83 dB 4:19 02-Love in Vain
    DR13 -0.02 dB -15.04 dB 3:07 03-Country Honk
    DR11 -0.02 dB -12.62 dB 3:33 04-Live with Me
    DR8 -0.02 dB -9.69 dB 5:28 05-Let It Bleed
    DR10 -0.02 dB -12.64 dB 6:53 06-Midnight Rambler
    DR11 -0.02 dB -14.07 dB 2:50 07-You Got the Silver
    DR10 -0.02 dB -11.54 dB 4:11 08-Monkey Man
    DR8 -0.38 dB -12.40 dB 7:29 09-You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR10
    Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 941 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

foobar2000 1.6.4 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2021-05-18 07:35:50
    Analyzed: Rolling Stones / Let It Bleed [2019 Remaster]
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR9 -0.25 dB -10.19 dB 4:30 01-Gimme Shelter
    DR9 -0.21 dB -11.36 dB 4:19 02-Love in Vain
    DR12 -0.18 dB -14.44 dB 3:08 03-Country Honk
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.55 dB 3:33 04-Live with Me
    DR8 -0.11 dB -9.04 dB 5:28 05-Let It Bleed
    DR10 -0.15 dB -12.28 dB 6:52 06-Midnight Rambler
    DR9 -0.18 dB -13.18 dB 2:51 07-You Got the Silver
    DR9 -0.16 dB -10.74 dB 4:12 08-Monkey Man
    DR8 -0.27 dB -11.64 dB 7:32 09-You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR9
    Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 941 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Any and all for me. After all, it’s Let it Bleed dammit!

However, listening to both Monaural and Stereo versions of the Fiftieth Anniversary version was a very refreshing change.

Mrmojo likes this.
  13. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I meant the edition that came out in the early 2000s

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2002 and 50th don't use the same mastering. There are various subtle differences.

15. Detroit Rock Citizen

So much better word than negligible.

lukpac likes this.
  16. Certainly not the song Gimme Shelter.

hi_watt likes this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't know...what doesn't sound good about it? The production is "thick", but I think it sounds quite good.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. Sounds a bit muddy to me, and the album sonically really opens with the next track. The difference in quality is really quite apparent after listening to Gimme Shelter and then Love In Vain.

I don’t know what this is due to but - maybe - because Merry Clayton’s overdub was done at the mixing stage, or that the song was started at Olympic, then Sunset Sound then Elektra? Taking a session reel to/from three different studios with three different sets of equipment could also introduce an issue, perhaps. Who knows. But to my ears the quality of this track sounds very different from the rest of the album (CD or vinyl).

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think it's intentionally atmospheric, as well as intentionally dense, but I don't think that's a "problem" as much as the sound they were going for. Monkey Man opens up a bit when the drums come in, but he intro has a very similar vibe.

Of course, I feel the same way with Exile.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Earlier takes sound better. Those are pre-Merry Clayton so thinking maybe something happened at that point, intentional or not.

21. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

To me I think it’s quite obvious the track should sound that way. It has a creepy and apocalyptic feeling all over. It’s ‘bassy’ and mid-range focused, but I really think it was eq’ed that way on purpose. The Stones used the grimm sound as an artistic tool. Hi-Fi was never on their agenda.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't imagine a pristine hi-fi serious sounding Gimme Shelter at all, even if it is relatively slick compared to a lot of the mid 60s recordings! I wouldn't change any of them.

I like the way that mixes and production styles change to suit each song on Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed.

Shawn and MHP like this.
  23. Oh I don’t want pristine or slick either, but at least on the outtakes you can hear the individual notes of the bass guitar a lot more clearly than a big blob of notes. And those outtakes sound just as menacing to my ears.

Those other LIB songs sound so good, relatively speaking, which just leads me to believe something didn’t go quite right on this recording/mix-down wise. Although obviously just my opinion.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't heard the outtakes. Of course, this could just be me being so used to hearing Gimme Shelter sounding like it does that I can't imagine it being any different. I'm one of those people who doesn't buy modern remixes of old albums.

Shawn likes this.
  25. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Me too I'm good with the let it bleed 86 abkco I refuse to avoid it just because 86 abkco are looked down upon, I have the London aftermath and the majesties request '86 is pretty good too. And you can get them really cheap (abkcos)

Man at C&A likes this.