Rolling Stones Let It Bleed RSD EVISCERATED!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have all 7 of the series and most often see the first one Big Hits High Tide & Green Grass (Orange Vinyl).
    Does anyone know why this 1977/78' Dutch coloured vinyl series began with that LP, ran through to Ya Ya's and chose to not issue anything from the debut through Aftermath?
    As for SQ I don't recall them being too bad at all though I must admit that I have not played any of them for ages.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Believe me, Pope Paul, my toes are clean!

3. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

In the vintage guitar market pieces are collectible because of their perceived quality - your '59 Les Paul for instance. Rarity doesn't come into it much unless it is already a quality item. But there are rare guitars that do not command the prices of others even though they are from the same manufacturer. A '60 Jazzmaster is worth less than a '60 Strat, for example because the Strat is judged the better guitar. So I can't for the life of me see how the rarity of this LP makes it truly collectable.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think that they choose the biggest sellers. Two hits comps that are legendary and strong sellers. And the last of the others were prime later Decca in order of release. It really is a great series if one gets clean tick-free pressings. Back in '78 I was filling in the holes in my Stones collection and needed them anyway, so I went for that made in Holland series. I was hooked on colored vinyl back in 1979 - 1980. I love them when they are cut in analog like these are. And the covers are sharp and clean like the UK originals look. Not shoddy looking imo.

Spencer R and lennonfan1 like this.
  5. All Down The Line

Surely Aftermath would have been a bigger seller than Satanic Majesties & likely Between The Buttons also?
    N.b. I probably don't play mine as I have UK originals anyway plus 2 of them are not in great condition, especially Let It Bleed!

6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have most of the Dutch colored vinyl pressings and don't really have complaints. I thought that Let It Bleed RSD is a total rip off, I have 50's records pressed like that, nice looking but not really a big deal and the clear vinyl issue I think sounds rather great....this new one is total cash grab.

7. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

That was the implication, yes.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Got "Sticky Fingers" on red vinyl to go next to my Decca series CV.

9. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

If it's a cash grab, a rip off, a worthless novelty... Then why is it such a success? Do the people want to be exploited?

The music, mastering and format are readily available, yet this still feels like an exciting release. It even seems dangerous to own, the moral majority do not approve... It's so rock'n'roll.

apple-richard and Griselda like this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Nice.

Maybe people who bought it don’t care about a $1 poster?

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Anyone seen that US copy of "A Hard Day's Night" on pink vinyl?

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good grief. It’s a US pressing for the US market replicating a US pressing.

Neonbeam and GentleSenator like this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What I can’t work out is people who are simultaneously not impressed with the release but also angry that it is so expensive...

I think the unboxing video is perfectly reasonable. But, having seen it unboxed and deciding that’s not something worth owning for $100 or 3-5 times that much, it should be easy to just move along, right? :confused:

14. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

It is genius. you have to be a bit wild to buy this. A lot of Rolling Stones fans seem to be the boring people who just want everyone to follow the rules. It's just another version of stamp collecting. It's 2020 and you had to risk your life to buy this!

groovelocked likes this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think it’s similar to the high priced Basement Tapes signed by Garth Hudson of the Band. This represents something new in that record companies are charging a premium for “manufactured collectibles”. It gets away from the nature of record collecting, and is more along the lines of baseball cards with jersey swatches, numbered collector plates and bobble-head dolls.

I have no problem with it, but it really is a new concept being introduced.

Big Blue and AlienRendel like this.
  16. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

What is the nature of record collecting? Aren't all (most) records manufactured collectibles? You can get the music for free (almost) on the Internet. Isn't this just excessive?

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s true to some extent. There have always been colored vinyl and picture discs, which are viewed more as collectibles. But, they have never been premium priced based on preplanned scarcity, or advertised that way like Franklin Mint dinner plates.

And most vinyl and CD’s were manufactured and purchased to be listened to, and not as collectibles per se. I have 6500 albums on Discogs and I would say that only a handful are “manufactured collectibles”. The highest priced items in my collection, such as original VJ Beatles albums, weren’t manufactured for a collectors market, but have increased in value over the years as most were trashed or thrown away. Others, like Classic Records pressings from the early 00’s, have taken in value as they are perceived to be superior in sound quality.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Welcome to the forums. We'll get another 50 pages out of this puppy, no problem.

19. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

And stamps were made to send mail, sports cards were made for children to swap etc.
    imho a lot of people who are complaining are not music fans. Just some kind of record collecting social club.

Sean likes this.
  20. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

I think that the entire vinyl revival is hugely collector focused. My preferred flavours of music has a history of diy type releases (punk, hardcore, metal etc) that more accommodated this style.

21. All Down The Line

Argh, someone had to mention trashy bobble headed dolls!!!

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Maybe you're right. I haven't seen any statistics. I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate from personal experience, but personally, I buy vinyl because most albums (both reissues and new releases) sound better on vinyl. Recently, I think of Bernie Grundman's cut of the new Strokes album, Chris Bellman's cut of Jhenny Beth's new album, or Ryan Smith's cut @45rpm of the Black Keys' Let's Rock.

Even the recent "red glow in the dark" pressing of Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy - it's a unique Chris Bellman cut, and actually the best sounding version I have heard of this album.

I don't know. I would probably be less concerned if it weren’t premium priced and marketed by the company as a collectible qua collectible, with a certificate of authenticity and so forth. I'm just hoping this doesn't become too much of a trend because I can imagine people losing all interest in colored vinyl if it becomes the equivalent of Franklin Mint plates.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Big Blue and Sean like this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, that’s exactly what I was saying - this release feels more like stamps and cards that are specifically manufactured to be collectibles, and I’m not sure I like it. I’m a collector for sure, but I’m a pretty serious music fan as well I think. Most people here are probably both, no?

[​IMG]

Griselda, sennj, ssmith3046 and 7 others like this.
  24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Sports cards were meant to be attached to the spokes of our bicycles to make them sound like motorcycles. :doh:

25. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

That's a glass half full way of looking at things. The trend aspect seems to feed money into the industry. Aren't all of these subscription services like VMP and ERC just catering for the Franklin Mint plates crowd? The ones that need an external curator to build an excellent superficial collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.