Rolling Stones Let It Bleed RSD EVISCERATED!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Sorry! You know how it is here sometimes! :righton:

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  2. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

No worries... :)

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I just watched Mike's video

The pricing on this is an absolute disgrace. And the folks trying to defend the "generic paper sleeve," for $100, I'd better get more than a pink piece of paper with lyrics on one side.

4. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

The Metamorphosis RSD
    I’m glad I didn’t buy it. And given that this is one RSD title is available in multiple stores makes me think not a lot of people bought it either ,

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Assuming they copied the original, it doesn't even have lyrics!

6. Didn’t the Flaming Lips do something like that with one of their weirdo releases a few years ago? IIRC the anti-coagulant in many copies failed, leaving the records full of black goo.

7. Making it even more collectible ;)

Lost In The Flood and phillyal1 like this.
  8. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I like Mike's videos and kudos for him for showing everyone what a rip off this offering is...

One day after this apocalypse is over, I hope to visit his fine store - preferably in the middle of winter.

rocnred, groovelocked, Isamet and 2 others like this.
  9. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

When you get bored w it’s just head on over to the Jimi Hendrix AYE SACD thread, ex they ran out of butter! :yikes:
    Dammit! :biglaugh:
    Beave

LordThanos1969 and Shawn like this.
  10. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

That AYE thread is certainly one of the more entertaining ones I've read.

Shawn likes this.
  11. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

Exactly my thought. For a hundred bucks they should have included the poster.

12. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Who is going to pay $300 for this on eBay?
    -Fanboys who will buy any unique Stones item even if they are barely getting by.
    -Rich folks who think nothing of the price tag but like Stones items to decorate their house.
    -Resellers hoping to sell it to # 1 or #2 for $500.

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'll wait for the ERC version, heh.

LordThanos1969 and Shawn like this.
  14. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

For $100 it should come in a 3D replica of that cake on the cover.

I'd buy that:agree:.

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's not the printing that replicates the US sleeve but the paper quality he was referring to. It likely looks nothing like an original in the hand. Besides the lack of poster is pretty unbelievable in a special edition product. The original UK decca inner was a Decca poly lined sleeve customised with credits printed on it. Only on early pressings and hard to find. Same with the poster. So many copies incl represses with an 'includes poster' sticker on the but rarely still inside. Would not take a great effort to reproduce a proper polylined replica and include the poster. Not acceptable at $30 let alone $100. Can't believe you think this is good enough to be charging $100. I'm sure there are 900 mugs who have to have every Stones release ever who will shell out and ABKO know it. Pathetic cash grab. Most will get flipped for even more money. It's hardly worth owning for actually playing. This is unfortunately what has gone wrong with the vinyl resurgence big time.

16. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I agree the price is set high, however, I don't believe it's as digraceful with the current market for limited edition records. The labels are very aware what is going on the these limited edition print run of these lp's.. How often do you see a record sold at regular price and the resold on auction sites (ebay) for crazy prices?

The label is just taking a cut out of the resale market price with it's price strategy.

17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hello, In Groove. Just read that you're the fella on those videos about various album pressings and what not.
    Just wanted to say I enjoyed your comments.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Ironic the album in question has the track You can't always get what you want.

phillyal1, BillM and groovelocked like this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agree 100%. I’m going to take the contrarian view and say that this guy is the real idiot. Is he trying to get himself banned from getting future Record Store Day stock? Because breaking the seal on his scarce-as-hen’s-teeth copy before Record Store Day, just so he can make a video crapping all over it, doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

Call me crazy, but I think the “hand-poured” vinyl, with areas of translucence, actually looks super effing cool. If my record store gets one, I’ll definitely try to buy it.

As for comments about “idiots” paying $300 for this on eBay, there’s a copy of this up on eBay now at $1,200, and it has 30 watchers. Just like the recent Stones pop-up store ultra limited red vinyl pressing of Goat’s Head Soup, or the 50 gold vinyl pressings of Bowie’s Metrobolist, this is going to be a huge collectible that commands huge prices, whether or not Cranky Bearded Record Store Owner In Arizona approves. Again, I laugh at him for breaking the seal on this. What’s he going to do? Secretly keep it for himself? Flip it himself on eBay with the shrink gone? Although I suppose since he’s been idiotic enough to make this video and show his certificate of authenticity with the number on it, Record Store Day, could, if it cared to, ban him from receiving future stock because he’s violating the rule on store owners flipping. Still sell it to one of his customers, and make fun of the customer for buying it?

quicksrt, leeroy jenkins and Jack like this.
  20. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I don't believe the lp had any hype stickers, if this guy had the proper equipment he could easily reseal the lp.

21. Yeah and there’s two versions of that inner sleeve, they had to correct the credits on one track. I think it was on You Can’t Always Get What You Want but I’m not completely certain without looking it up.

22. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I think Klein would be proud of the way his offspring are running the family business. Charging more and more for cheaper quality products. It would be one thing if this was a special AAA cut from the original master tapes or something in a nice jacket but $100 for this is ridiculous.

With this and the Neil Young After the Gold Rush it seems the labels are just trying to see how much they can charge and still get fans to fork over the money. Will this greed be the downfall of RSD?

Also, I don't blame the store owner from keeping copies of RSD releases for himself (I think most here would if they owned a record store). But doesn't that go against the whole point of RSD if record store owners just keep the only copy they get for themselves when it is so limited in the first place?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    astro70 likes this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

He’s already waved around the certificate of authenticity and shown the world the specific number he got. Again, if anyone cared to get upset about it, they could bust him for resealing the LP.

I get that people have opinions, and I personally think that, say, most picture discs are stupid. But, if I worked in a record store, and I have worked in record stores in the past, the last thing I would do is make a YouTube video crapping all over the new picture disc of Abbey Road or whatever other product I’m supposed to be selling. If the dude is that offended by this release, simply don’t order it. He mentions how record stores across the world were fighting over allocations of this record, yet, even though he thinks it’s a sham, he gets his hand on a copy and breaks the seal a week before the on-sale date, while seemingly intentionally trying to tear the inner sleeve, just so he can tell the world how stupid it is.

This guy is the same old “hipper than thou” record store clerk who gets off telling his customers how stupid they are. I never did that when I worked in record stores and some kid walked up to the counter with a Journey or Motley Crue album, or whatever I personally thought was a bad record, and I would never laugh at Record Store Day customers who are excited about any Record Store Release, “rip off” colored vinyl or not.

This guy is a total, complete idiot. I would never set foot in his store. Screw him.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    quicksrt likes this.
  24. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

No poster no deal. I also wanted the green Metamorphosis record, but will probably pass after what you guys said.

25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. I agree that the Neil Young $100 “box set” featuring a bonus 7”, which is not a Record Store Day release, by the way, is not for me. So I’m not going to buy it. But, if I still worked in a record store, I sure as heck wouldn’t tell a customer he was an idiot for buying it. And I certainly wouldn’t make a YouTube video telling all of my potential customers they are idiots for being interested in buying it.

Terrapin Station likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.