Rolling Stones Let It Bleed RSD EVISCERATED!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While it is a bit ridiculous, it’s not like the Klein estate is making big $ on this - 900 copies at $100 each is $90K. Take out design costs, manufacturing costs, distribution costs and the cut each store gets I doubt there’s a lot of extra cash rolling in. Not trying to justify this release but it’s not a huge money maker.

quicksrt and marcb like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm sorry you got stuck with it but thanks for the heads up; I was considering getting it. For what it's worth, ABKCO has been very hit and miss with their vinyl over the last couple of years. They seem to have a pretty good record (no pun intended) with their LPbox sets...but when it comes to their individual-LP reissues, I now choose to stay away.

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

It’s called an unboxing video. He’s done it for RSD releases in the past, and RSD has contacted him to say they enjoy his videos.

Get over yourself.

4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I got the recent Stones Let It Bleed super deluxe, featuring two perfectly pressed LPs, two SACDs, a 7” single, a poster, and a very nice hardback book, at some ridiculously low blowout price on Amazon. Like $60 or $70. Given the constraints ABKCO has to work under, i.e., no bonus tracks, I thought that was a great value. Even at $99 on Amazon or $120 at the local record store, that box is a good value, in my opinion.

After watching Angry Man’s video, I also think this hand-poured vinyl is a good value. I get that it doesn’t come with the poster, or the UK inner sleeve with the mono/stereo hole, blah blah blah, but, to me, the hand-poured vinyl looks super cool. Much like the recent Third Man McCartney III multi-colored vinyl, limited to only 333 copies, looks super cool. Like it or not, this sort of ultra limited splatter/colored/unique vinyl is a trend right now. If I owned a record store and thought it was dumb trend, I simply wouldn’t order or carry any of these products. But getting one of these ultra-limited products before release day, defacing it, and posting a video telling the world how stupid they are for wanting to buy it from you, is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

quicksrt, Shawn and DK Pete like this.
  5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

There are plenty of albums that come out for RSD that are in the same neighborhood in terms of pressing numbers and they’re not charging $100 for a single LP that’s been reissued about a million times (and recently btw.) with nothing extra apart from some haphazard swirl pattern. It’s a sucker’s deal and Mike’s assessment in the video was spot-on.

Bigseven, murch, groovelocked and 5 others like this.
  6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I also enjoy his videos - but I always wonder when he opens certain albums as an unboxing, whether he keeps it for himself (sometimes he unboxes an album while mentioning he has already played the album in the store), or sells it as used - or sells it as new (maybe reseals). And a lot of times he opens up expensive box sets that I have no idea how you would reseal. One thing I notice is he carefully opens most LPs and always slides off the shrink so it remains intact. Maybe he puts the shrink back on and has a way of sealing it back up?

Personally, I like his videos and watch them every week. And regarding the Stones video - he obviously got one or more of the item in (and he can do what he wants with it - since he had to buy it to be able to get his allotment - not sure what the RSD rules are regarding a store opening and making a video of an RSD exclusive that won't be sold until the actual RSD), but I agree that for $100.00 I would have expected more than just a basic album (regardless if it is "hand poured vinyl"). Based on a description of the LP prior to seeing it opened, I would have thought it would look more distinctive. To me it just appears to be another color vinyl variant, and nothing so special.

I think the video, for those who watch it, help a prospective buyer make a more informed decision about whether he should purchase it or not on BF RSD.

I could just imagine, if people who were interested in this LP didn't see that video, and then purchased one on 11/27/20 - and opened it - there would be a huge thread here about I just got ripped off buying a $100 Let It Bleed colored vinyl version on RSD.

Everyone reading this knows that the 900 copies are going to sell out fast, video or no video - just those seeing this video can make a more informed decision.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yes. An unboxing video of one of 900 copies of this record in the world, “unboxed” a week before its street date, just so he can tell his customers how stupid they are for wanting to buy it. I’m sure the Record Store Day brass just love that. What great marketing for Record Store Day.

quicksrt and giantleech like this.
  8. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

My comment about ABKCO had more to do with the Stones RSD releases that they have come out with in the last few years. They have all been essentially repackaged releases on colored vinyl priced at almost double that of comparable RSD releases. Plus the recent anniversary releases have all been lackluster in terms of content for the price (I know it's not entirely their fault in regards to lack of content). The quality of the US mono CD box was also very poor for the price.

If they can't make any money they should sell their rights to the Stones and be done with it.

Shawn likes this.
  9. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Glad he did, now I will know I would be getting ripped off buying it

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Anyone who would contemplate paying $100 for this knew what they were getting into long before Uncle Salty made this video. The Black Friday list has been up for quite some time. The selling point of this record is that each of the 900 multi-colored copies is unique and different. If I’m able to get a copy, I won’t be complaining about the inner sleeve.

apple-richard and quicksrt like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Anyone with an Internet connection and access to the Black Friday list could have made that determination long before this video.

12. Ben Adams

[​IMG]

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I didn’t buy the green vinyl reissue of Metamorphosis, because 1) I have a nice original copy and 2) I think it’s a mediocre album that I very rarely listen to. If I think a record is a rip off at $37.98, I don’t buy it, but I don’t begrudge the record company for participating in Record Store Day. Not everyone has original pressings of all the 60s and 70s Stones albums.

phillyal1 likes this.
  14. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Seems like he is advocating for not against the exploited customer...

15. Ben Adams

Exactly. The whole point was to let people know this thing is ridiculously overpriced, even for RSD.

I mean, there’s not much that can be done for someone who self-identifies as an idiot, of course.

16. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I love how you're calling him salty but you're the one calling him names and trying to insult him.

17. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Insta-buy for me, if ever.

AlienRendel and Spencer R like this.
  18. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Exactly, why someone would get upset about video for this unboxing is bizarre to me

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Telling your customers they’re stupid for wanting to buy a particular record is not advocating for them. If I had told every person who ever bought a Grateful Dead record from me what I honestly thought about their decision, I’m sure I would have been fired from my job in ye olde record store back in the day.

If you own a record store and are that opposed to the colored vinyl/picture disc/limited edition/obi strip game, don’t order and stock that product. It’s pretty simple.

His “advocacy” here is beyond pointless, as the hardcore Stones collectors who want this for reasons of their own couldn’t care less what Migraine Boy has to say about it.

20. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Effing.

21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Everyone who shops at record stores and collects records makes hundreds of decisions a year, for themselves, about what is overpriced and what is a good deal. Although, as I noted above, if anything, his little tirade made me more interested in paying $99 for this record, which was already on my want list before he “exposed” it.

apple-richard and quicksrt like this.
  22. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I salute this guy for giving a crap about his customers and calling BS when BS needs to be called. Just subscribed to his YT channel and will go through his other vids.

The music industry needs more people like this.

23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I think you are the one being "Uncle Salty" and "Angry Man". You don't think that record stores all over the world that don't make a video might be hoarding some away or selling them to customers before RSD, or even opening them for themselves and keeping them. The number of copies matter not - and as mentioned in his video - any splatter color vinyl version is unique and different unto itself.

I really don't understand why YOU are so upset about a store opening a copy - and complaining now there is one less of a very limited item to sell - when as I mentioned, things that you or I don't even know about go on behind our backs with RSD and/or limited items that take them out of general circulation.

And Mike is the owner of The In Groove - so he can do and say whatever he wants. He doesn't indicate if he got more than just that one copy, but if he has others you think he wants to shoot himself in the foot and risk not selling this item? If so it becomes money out of his pocket he will never get back. But you know what - he isn't stupid, or angry or salty. He knows that he can sell that copy now even if opened, or at some point in the not so distant future - because it is limited.

He does sometimes comes off a bit gruff in his tone and opinions, but he is a great source of information regardless. Why not post a valid opinion on the fact that the perceived value of a specific item may not reflect the actual cost of that item. (and yes I did say "fact" - because to me it is a "fact" that this specific item is overpriced - yet it was never on my list of items to buy next week regardless. I have too many copies of LIB now - I sure don't need this copy at the price being asked).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  24. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Yeah. Your wallet.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  25. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Plus, I guarantee he could see it for full price by listing it as "as featured in Mike's Unboxing Video!". Anyone who really wants this will not turn down one of 900 copies because the shrinkwrap is slit open.

murch, Big Blue, Sean and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.