Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Just came here to post about the (significant) price drop. Pay-tience pays, as many of us knew, but I didn't listen this time.
    Congrats on your purchase!

2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Been listening to Little Feat "Electrif Lyacanthrope" vinyl past few days, the sound reminds me of the four LYL El Mo tracks, warm, close up intimate and sans reverb, just sayin'.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i hope everyone can get the digital coupon too. the only reason i hadn't gotten it already is i had a stack of stuff to listen to

Exile On My Street likes this.
  4. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I jumped on that deal too and it arrived in Melbourne from the uk in under a week!
    I really wanted this set but was not going to pay the local price of $275

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Sometimes.
    But then other times, something really is limited (like, say, Prince's 1999 box or the Jethro Tull "book" sets), and it goes out of print/press before there's ever a price-drop. It's hard to know for sure.

6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I find that most of the time, patience will pay off.
    Speaking personally, I rarely put myself in the situation where I feel I have to have something. If it goes out of print before the price drops, so be it, but I understand the concern for others.

Me? I'll listen to something else. I've waited over a year for some things and ended up getting them 60% or more off. Sometimes ya just gotta roll the dice...lol

Coltrane811 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I managed to get in on the Amazon sale this week. :righton:

I haven't heard all the Stones live sets out there, but I've heard a lot of 'em, including some boots, and I think this one might be my favorite.

Random notes:
    • Spacious mix but I agree with those that say this sounds more like a stadium gig than a club gig
    • The band is hot!
    • Ronnie sounds very much like the new guy, sounds a bit like Taylor in spots
    • I don't recall Mick being this funny on stage before... "Charlie is a jazz drummer. He's only here for the money." LOL
    • The Black & Blue tracks really shine on this set, but I would've loved to have "Hey Negrita" on here

8. Mark-10

Mark-10 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, Whats your favourite Black and Blue song played in the show ?. Hand of Fate is my choice , close is Crazy Mama. You can vote in the poll Rolling Stones - El Mocambo

77 - Whats your favourite Black and Blue song played in El Mocambo . Cheers.

hiterss likes this.
  9. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Any (working) link?

hutlock likes this.
  10. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

It’s back down to $18.66 with a new Amazon coupon, so I just ordered it since it missed the $18.50 price.

Have been listening to it on Amazon Music for weeks now and I am so glad I was able to get it at a cheaper price finally.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

that must have been the price. i didn't look exactly how much the coupon was. thats what i got too

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  12. Mark-10

Put in the search - Rolling Stones - El Mocambo. In the first page is the link to the poll.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Mark-10

Better - Poll - Rolling Stones - El Mocambo

14. Matthew Tate

making sure my ears aren't messed up. the credits list only ronnie and keith doing vocals other than mick. surely billy preston is on backing vocals on a few songs right? sounds like him to me

hiterss, Stones Blah, Gus S. and 3 others like this.
  15. Mark-10

Hand of Fate is winning the poll.

Davido and hiterss like this.
  16. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

I’d decided that I was going to pass on the vinyl and was going to have to be satisfied with the iTunes download when as a wonderful surprise my kids (with some financial help from my ex-wife) gifted me the vinyl set as a combined birthday / Father’s Day gift last weekend! I’d about overdosed on it already and now I’m starting all over with the vinyl…

Which brings me to: has anyone noticed any differences between the vinyl and digital versions?

On Side G of the vinyl, the “bonus” tracks, I notice it fades out between each song, whereas on the iTunes download it’s mastered seamlessly right through with audience noise. Mick’s banter before Luxury is also missing. Did anyone else notice this? How are the tracks mastered on the CD? Same as the download or like the vinyl?

17. EasyEB

EasyEB Forum Resident

I can’t help but wonder how this would have sounded had they let Don Smith engineer and mix it before he passed. His work on The Tragically Hip Live at The Roxy that just came out sounds fantastic. Given he worked closely with Keith over the years I imagine he’d have do a damn fine job with El Mocambo.

twicks likes this.
  18. David Lowe

David Lowe Forum Resident

I've loved Love You Live since I was a teen when it first came out and I wore out side four on vinyl. I also loved "Around and Around" from the El Mocambo side, but when I got this new CD set, at first I was disappointed because I thought it sounded overly processed and artificial. Turns out it was my CD player not having good isolation. Luck would have it that I decided to replace my Vibrapods with Bright Star IsoNodes, and OMG what a difference. El Mocambo wasn't the first CD I re-listened to. Dark Side of the Moon became a new experience, and Love You Live actually sounded very good. But I was unprepared for El Mocambo. It now sounds real and unprocessed and not compressed like before. It's amazing to me what a difference the equipment can make - and how easily I'm seduced to think what I'm hearing is good. Maybe that's the case here, but I don't think so. I still love Love You Live for its sloppy fun, but El Mocambo is how the Stones should be heard. This is wonderful stuff, and I'm thoroughly seduced once again.

19. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

IMO, El Mocambo is the quintessential Stones album, and I'm not talking about live albums only. It's fun, it's powerful, it's sleazy, it's loose but also tight. You got rock, blues, soul, funk... If a couple of Martians knock on your door asking about who The Rolling Stones are, give them your copy of El Mocambo and they'll be happy aliens.

Floor, sonnyrock, Curveboy and 6 others like this.
  20. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I listened to the first cd, and it swings like a sledgehammer. Such power from this band. Charlie and Bill sound great. My sub was getting a ton of action.

Purple Jim, Bonddm, mick_sh and 2 others like this.
  21. Mark-10

Well, I posted a new poll. Whats the best Cover played in El Mocambo . From me is Around and Around. Whats your opinion ?

danielbravo likes this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Grabbed the CD today and I've just had a blast of the first 6 or 7 songs. A terrific live album!

23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Late to the game but vinyl set ordered from Amazon with same day delivery. I’m listening to Forum ‘75 in anticipation. I think it’s gonna be a live Stones Sunday!!

24. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

I ordered the coloured vinyl the other day. It’s very pricey, but got a 20% voucher from The Rolling Stones official site - so about £76 (prom memory).

looking forward to listening to it.

25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Great list. I love all time lists, lol! Listening right now I think L.A. Forum needs to be higher but I’m not sure what you’d bump down. Also shout out for the Steel Wheels Tokyo Dome show and also Stripped and Toronto Phoenix are also incredible. Love to see the 2005 Toronto Phoenix show officially released on vinyl.