Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's not the best but worth it in my opinion to have an official release from the 1972 tour.

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am not a big 'live' albums person in general but in this case I will respectfully disagree and say it is their best live performance on album...

except for the Jumpin' Jack Flash version I heard on some bootleg back in the early 80's...

stef1205 and Elliottmarx like this.
  3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

That should be $19.99
    Beave

5. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

LOL, here's a rush Side A review (all I've listened to so far):

LPs are in sturdy cardboard liners, with nice pictures of the show on both sides. They are the kind you might feel the need to replace with poly liners, but there is no dust, scratches, etc. on the discs. I detect a very minor warp on my first disc when I look at it spinning from the side, which does not affect play. In fact, there is nary a pop or click on side A, it is dead quiet.

HONKY TONK WOMEN
    ALL DOWN THE LINE
    At first blush it sounds like a typical '75/'76 stadium/arena show, like you couldn't tell which venue it was from (or maybe it is '78?). Mick has that slur/growl thing he had going at the time. Sounds like an average performance, nothin' special. Same for the second number. Pretty generic Stones from the last half of the '70s. I'm not hearing any magic yet.

HAND OF FATE
    ROUTE 66
    Starting to hear the audience now. More intimate feeling, now we realize it's in a club. The show is taking off. I never thought much about Hand of Fate, but this is the best version I have heard. Beats the hell out of the studio version. Drums sound very good, Preston makes his presence known here on keyboard and background vocals. Great clarity, instruments sound well defined. Ron Wood really shines here. I'm not noticing that echo/venue effect earlier so complained about at this point (although perhaps I was on the first two numbers). Some funny comments by Mick between songs and then starts what sounds to be a stellar take on Route 66. Can't say much more about it because I paused the f**kng record to write this because I realized it was turning out to be really good.

Sounds about as good as I could have hoped so far. I don't have the CD for comparison.

6. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

I was listening to Qobuz at CD quality and was impressed. Cymbals were clean and the bass I thought was well articulated.

Taxman, stef1205 and Bill007 like this.
  7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Never enjoyed Luxury so much. So glad they included it.

8. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

There was a fellow out in the Gulf today in a Fountain and he was blasting it! All of SWFL was definitely set on fire!

9. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I know it has been said before in this thread but… HAND OF FATE! Astounding.

10. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

there is a download available over at IORR from capt acid that minimizes the "big" sound and improves the DR. Its fantastic, listening right now in lieu of my vinyl copy on the way.

jb

11. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I'm just now listening to Tumblin Dice for the first time. As per my usual rules I will refrain from all previews until I get the final product. Here I am finally. This is just so awesome

12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Damn. This version of Hot Stuff should have been the final released version. This blows the studio cut by miles...and I already like the studio cut a lot.

coniferouspine and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Rockin' Robby and twicks like this.
  14. Listen with your ears not your eyes and enjoy!

stef1205 likes this.
  15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Is it a needledrop or a different mix do you know?

16. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

An outstanding track.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Sounds like the same mix to me.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

After listening on the home stereo, in the car, and thru headphones, I’d say that the digital version does sound notably over-compressed on the first two (and I thought so before I saw the numbers). But thru headphones it didn’t bother me. Which is why some artists like the Stones approve squashing their digital releases, right? They expect most people listening to CD/downloads/streaming to have headphones on. But I really didn’t enjoy the sound on the stereo or in the car much.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I absolutely love this in Atmos. The greatest rock and roll band of all time…

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Great list. Personally, I would try to squeeze the Steel Wheels Live release in there somewhere, (both Atlantic City and Tokyo Dome,) since I am partial to Steel Wheels and that tour. That Limited Collector's Deluxe Edition of Steel Wheels Live is one of my favorite vault/archive releases the Stones have released.

Jam757, stevef, laf848 and 3 others like this.
  21. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

22. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

23. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

partypooper

stef1205 likes this.
  24. duggan

duggan Senior Member

No - I saw them play it at Knebworth in 76.

All Down The Line, vcpj and TonyCzar like this.
  25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Just picked it up at my local record shop for 700 DKR (98USD), which is kinda ok I think. I will report back regarding SQ...

All Down The Line likes this.