Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Billy Preston gave George Harrison’s 1974 solo tour a lift. He got dour George to loosen up in the concerts.

2. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

Preston did well.Stones had immaculate taste when it came to sidekicks.

3. I haven't had the time to pour through 64 pages of thread. Would someone tell me overall whether the vinyl was well received? I'm skeptical about vinyl releases these days unless it's a Tone Poet or something from Acoustic Sounds. The cd looks like the better deal.

4. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Preston ruins JJF in the official Brussels Affair. Clearmountain should have put him lower in the mix.

ExHead and MRamble like this.
  5. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Just listened to about half of the vinyl edition, and my oh my is this great!! They are on fire here and what a great mix and mastering: A fantastic combination of in your face clearity and a sense of room ambiance. Plus the vinyl is (thus far) absolutely flat and noise free.

6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

No, I mean exactly what I said

7. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

My vinyl is flat and noise free and sounds absolutely stellar. There is zero risk of anyone ending up being dissapointed in this. Just go ahead and buy it. You will love it to bits.

8. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Listened to this yesterday on the office system and in the car courtesy of Qobuz...mind blown. All the raves above, yep. I can't say for sure this is the best Stones live release but definitely one of the top two. Great setlist and having Black and Blue material live makes it for me. The biggest thing that kept jumping out to me was Billy Preston. A big thanks to whoever in the Stones organization finally figured out that this needed to be released.

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The neon vinyl is in the house, and, to me, it sounds like they’re playing in a club, not in an arena.

What a great show, highlighted by the Black and Blue material and the rare cover songs. I only wish they had played “Memory Motel” at these shows. Oh well, you can’t have everything.

10. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

In Keith's book he talks about taking his knife and stabbing the top of Billy's piano, telling him this is the Rolling Stones, not the Billy Preston show.

11. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Is that the one from their website? I was wondering how that set sounded and looked.

12. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I actually prefer this and Some Girls Live In Texas to Brussels Affair. Of course, I love that too but my favourite brand of Stones is the funky loose, reggae-influenced, stripped down rock 'n' roll that they settled into in the second half of the seventies. A virtuoso lead guitarist isn't a necessity with this band.

13. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I found my twin! :thumbsup:

bonus and Graham like this.
  14. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

Keith obviously feeling intimidated... Billy should have given him a Chuck Berry to the face.

15. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I listened to the album today and it’s fantastic in my opinion:cool:

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

“Charlie’s a jazz drummer. ’Ee’s only doing it for the money.” :)

17. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Keith feeling intimidated is the ultimate oxymoron.

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The translucent neon vinyl looks cool to me.

leeroy jenkins and Boomy like this.
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Agreed.
    Much better than I expected based on my recollection of listening Love You Live once.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  20. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

Probably not true,and if it is,its plain stupidity. Cant understand the guys love of weapons,and the bragging about carelessy handling them.

Was probably one of his guns Anitas lover used to kill himself with.

frightwigwam, JoeF. and RAZORMADE like this.
  21. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

blame it on the Stones, blame it on the Stones
    Blame all the hate and violence
    On the Rolling Stones.

jb

mick_sh likes this.
  22. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

Keith is a great musician.

I dont know the guy,but his dont let the truth come in the way of a good story,and weapon handling just dont feel right...

23. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I am surprised that they didn't keep this for bait on BLACK AND BLUE Box Set , easy money few more outtakes and this live show. It would definitely have moved lots of box sets.

24. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

In retrospect it was a mistake releasing Love You Live (Still Life too) rather than picking one hot show.

25. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Have now listened to CD1 and half of CD2, taking a break for the FA Cup final (#YNWA)

Flippin’ ‘eck they were good weren’t they. And finally managed to shut them up in the SHMF Critics’ Section.