Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

He did that?

mick_sh likes this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

They pressed on!

MRamble, Bonddm and mick_sh like this.
  3. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Well, 2020 Japanese SHM-CDs that are in print (UICY-79241 - UICY-79250) came with unique mastering. It originated from 2011 - 2015 'DSD flat transfer from UK original master tapes' (2015 for Steel Wheels only). THe mastering is not new for sure. And you do not need them if you already bought SHM-SACDs from 2011-2013 or Platinum SHM-CDs from 2013 -2015.

stevef, supermd and JeffreyB like this.
  4. davidhuret

davidhuret Forum Resident

I didn't expect much. But wow, I'm bowled over by this gig: they play great, they're tight, young, creative. The sound is good and the mixing impeccable (thanx Mr. Clearmountain) and making sense: it's like you're in the room and the instruments stay where they are throughout (Keith on the right, Ronnie on the left). Bill is clearly audible and in top shape (pity about his visual absence in the booklet). Charlie kicks ass. The setlist is full of surprises... this could well be their best live release ever. That's how it feels to me after two full listens anyway.

5. Nike

Nike Duke

4lp colored just arrived. Tonight is night. Yeah speed delivery from “Bravado.de”. EU Stones shop.

6. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I have also recived my 4LP Neon LP set. The vinyl looks flat and beautifully pressed. Great to see Bernie Grundmann mastered it. Looking forward to listening this evening.

George Blair likes this.
  7. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Wow! That sounds just what I wanted. Thanks for the helpful response! So it's a triple album, plus 1 single-sided LP for the bonus tracks. The fades indicate this was thoughtfully mastered - not just the CD slapped on to vinyl.

8. E()

E() Cat Herder

Gave this a second listen yesterday and this is rapidly rising to the top of my list of live Stones show.

As others have said, I really like the mix since you can really hear the guitar interplay between Keith and Ronnie.

rednax, stevef, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  9. sjas1962

sjas1962 Forum Resident

This ones a corker!...Much like a lot of people, I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I am. And to echo many sentiments, Bob Clearmountain did an amazing job. Play loud!

supernaut, enro99 and davidhuret like this.
  10. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

Theres some confusin around who did what.

Stephen Marcussen and Stewart Whitmore mastered it. Bob Clearmountain mixed it and Grundman cut the vinyl.

If Discogs is to be trusted. I dont have a physical release in hand yet.

The Rolling Stones - El Mocambo 1977

TonyCzar likes this.
  11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

My colored vinyl is sitting in Grove City, Ohio. Come On!!

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I can't hear what I presume is Keith on 'Crazy Mama'. There's a barely audible Keith-like rhythm guitar track, but it sounds like it's coming from a different room. Sound bleed on original source tape? Bad speaker connection at home? Sharp leads (I presume Ron's doing) are metaphorically front and center.

13. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

This is from CD booklet
    [​IMG]

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I gotta learn how to enable crossfade on my media player. Many abrupt stops and starts.

15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Damn this thread! I knew I shouldn’t look at it. I’ve been trying to resist this one because of too many recent purchases. I noticed they still had the colored vinyl at the Stones store and caved. I would guess the colored variant will be gone soon. It’ll be nice to have.

supermd, E(), intv7 and 2 others like this.
  16. Nike

Nike Duke

Awesome lp. Abhhhhh.

aphexj likes this.
  17. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

Of course, it's all subjective. I prefer the 1973 LA version of "Route 66" to the plodding version here, for example.

I also prefer Nicky Hopkins to Billy Preston and LOVE the Exile horns in 1972/early 1973. It's just not even close for me.

I'm glad this was released, but I imagine if the Stones ever get around to releasing their planned 1972 live album, people will remark how it also blows Brussels (out of the water).

18. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I did my morning walk this morning and played the rockers off EM 77. Those guitar amps sound dimed because there's a hefty crunch to the riffs, something they avoided later on when the band got so damn big.

19. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

I absolutely think so. They did it on Ya Ya's and the 1972 unreleased live album. These songs were all candidates for the overdubbed Love You Live. There are guitar parts that seem overly controlled compared to other shows from around then. Maybe one day I'll compare it to the existing bootleg.

I don't think it takes away from the experience, but I find it interesting.

20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'd love to read that analysis.

21. E()

E() Cat Herder

Same here. Just caved in for the colored vinyl.......

sonofjim likes this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The hefty guitar crunch of 1975 is great... for about 20 minutes. I can't take a whole night of that. It gets boring. LYL was a savvy breakup of the events, and Billy Preston's 2 songs a nice break.

23. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I can't get enough "crunch". I love that tone of Keith's, something I find lacking in the modern era of live Stones.

Bonddm, OldSoul, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Not onstage, but certainly goofy!

[​IMG]

25. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Photoshopped.

Matthew Tate likes this.