Rolling Stones mono cd box set HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by disraeli, Nov 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, so it’s $135 on Amazon and $35 on EBay...and everywhere in between.

What a joke when all I want to do is sit back and enjoy a LEGIT copy.

So, my question is ... how does this go on?

The last time I spoke to a customer service rep on EBay I pointed out the price discrepancies and asked how it was possible that you have sellers selling “95 sold” at $35 and more when other vendors had them listed for $135? He had no answer saying EBay does their best to weed out the fakes.

Really? Anyone on this platform could take on this project and shut down endless vendors. Jagger seems like a smart businessman. Is he not lawyered up?

So, what’s the problem here? Again, all I want is a legit copy and man, is finding one an adventure.

Let’s discuss the issue and, good morning.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I don’t think Jagger probably cares since it was an ABKCO release. Good luck finding one.

3. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

At the end of the day, if there’s no one legally badgering EBay to remove these, they have zero incentive to do so. They get paid, each time one of these sells.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Ebay isn’t going to do anything about it. If it’s $35, then it’s more then likely a fake. Ordering directly through Amazon is your best bet so long as it’s new and is being both sold and shipped by Amazon. It will cost over $100.

Please be aware that even the legit version is poor quality regarding the packaging. If you want a really nice version then get the Japanese edition. It will cost a lot more.

5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Buy it on Discogs, you've got a more reasonable chance of getting a real one there.

Crimson Witch and eric777 like this.
  6. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I ended up getting the HD download because of the poor packaging of the CDs. That is a good option if you don't care about the packaging and if have the hardware for playing digital files.

eric777 likes this.
  7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

To answer your question, it goes on for one reason and one reason only ~ the major labels never print enough copies to meet demand. The blame for counterfeiting lies firmly on, in this case, ABKCO. All the labels have to do is reissue the title as a second, third, fourth, and so-on number print-run and keep them available. Instead, they routinely give their millions in cash profit to the counterfeiters. It is ABKCO's choice.

Write to the label and tell them you bought a knock-off copy of their their release. Be sure to thank them, but don't send them a compensation cheque out of misplaced feelings of guilt because that would only negate the purpose of your letter.

8. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

There is no warranty you will get a legit copy from discogs. The thing is - this time counterfeits were made really good. You can not distinguish fake from outside, if the box is sealed. Thus, you can pay a lot more than $35 and end up with a bootleg.
    I believe most of the boxes that are on the market now are bootlegs. Last time I saw a legit copy in a store a couple of years ago. I mean, real record store but not an internet vendor.

9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Of course there's no "warranty," who said there was? The point I was making is that you're more likely to be dealing with real music-collectors on Discogs than you are eBay. Nobody is selling the idea of there being any guarantees when you buy something second hand online. You're on your own.

10. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Real music collectors on discogs is an idealization. In past 3 months I had multiple cases the CD was listed wrongly. I.e. the CD for sale does not correspond to the release. Usually I ask sellers for the images of the actual item for sale. Four out of six requests returned with the images of different pressings. Twice I got no answer. So, you know...

Regarding this one - The Rolling Stones - In Mono. It seems that most of them are sealed and big part comes from music shops. Sure, those can be legit. Or not.

11. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

How can you tell the difference?

12. BrokenByAudio

Does anyone recall if there was a stated number of copies at the time of the initial release?

I bought that box, I don't know, maybe 18 months, maybe 2 years ago, on eBay for $40. The seller listed I think 210 of them for sale and I just assumed that ABKCO had completely overestimated the demand for the product and when retail sales had not materialized had wholesaled the remainder of the run for 10% of MSRP. (This was typical in the book publishing industry for a long time before digital reading files/copies were popular.). I don't recall if the box was sealed to be honest.

I was just thanking my lucky stars because the sound quality is killer. Robert Ludwig did the mastering as I'm sure everybody knows. The packaging is fine--all mini-lp sleeves without any bells and whistles. The box itself is solid, magnet close. Nothing spectacular. I would expect that much at the time and even give the fact that it is the Rolling Stones. I'm not sure why, or if, people are expecting every conceivable box is supposed to get the ultra deluxe treatment.

I guess the bottom line is IF I got a counterfeit I am good with it for the price. It's totally killer. But for sure I get why people are asking the question.

13. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

I put this comparison long time ago
    Rolling Stones In Mono CD box set

Also there is a weirdo
    The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones In Mono
    which can be called 'Mexican' pressing. But if you read O (letter) instead of 0 (zero, number), you'll get Mould SID Code: IFPI O8N5 which also corresponds to China.

Unfortunately, there is no way to spot fake from outside.

I you have sealed EU version - the mass should be 960 gr (33.86 oz or 2.05 lb). The box from amazon had a mark 1.05 kg on the postage label (extra weight came form external cardboard box that was used for protection). I checked it at the day of arrival. However, I do not now the mass of the US box.

PS. The easiest way. Info flyer is not glued to the back of the box for Chinese fakes.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Dave, BrokenByAudio and eric777 like this.
  14. BrokenByAudio

Thanks Ironbelly--very helpful!

The information flyer is actually printed on the back of the box so mine is counterfeit. What's amusing to me is that I hadn't even read that "flyer" on the back of the box and if I had I would have seen a reference to a 52 page booklet. And my box doesn't contain one! LOL. Silly me! Another sign I ought to have taken note of after those 210 or so boxes were all sold the seller shut down the account. Hmmmm!

But as previously stated, sound quality is excellent so at $40 the value is extreme IMO (and as far as it goes; obviously resale value disappears but that is functionally never a concern to me). I would tell anyone taking note of the low prices on eBay BUYER BEWARE. If you are concerned about having the real deal then pay the real money, purchase from Amazon or some other source with a good return policy.

Ironbelly likes this.
  15. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Digitally you do not miss a bit. All those fake boxes came with CDs that are clones to official release. They differ only within read offset.

16. BrokenByAudio

Pardon my ignorance but what is "read offset"?

17. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

That is fairly technical. A number of silent (null) samples before the track starts. This has nothing to do with actual digital content, just the settings of Laser Beam Recorder that was used for glass master preparation. It is unique for each plant.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Amazon has the CD boxed set for $89.99; the lowest price I’ve seen.

19. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

If all the above is true, then the box I picked up for $39 is legit. (eBay auction) The label on the back is glued on and the booklet is included. I fully expected a fake for the price but maybe I lucked out. :righton:

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  20. I realize this is Xmas but it is at Amazon again at a ok price ($99-133)
    I bought a Queen box at EBay with a PayPal balance I had. The good news is that I got a refund and got to keep a bootleg set. The bad news is it was bootleg & some of the discs were cracked and had audible distortion that happened during the copyright process. I gave it away and just kept my original CDs (a mix of Origimals and Hollywood for the lesser albums).
    As to the Stones in Mono on CD-I could do without the US and UK variants (just put bonus tracks on a disc like they did). The packaging isn’t nearly as good as The Beatles in Mono.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There's more to it than just those two tells.

22. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

And what mould ifpi codes are there?
    IFPI 50** pressed on the clear plastic close to the central hole
    ifpi B4** pressed on the hub
    IFPI O8N5 pressed on the hub
    ????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.