Rolling Stones New Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

One More Shot was Keith's song

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"999"- one of my favourite Keith Richards songs of all time, including his work in the Stones!

Hammerpeg, stef1205 and RJD1954 like this.
  3. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

This is what gets me. They could have taken those extra songs from Exile and Girls and made a brand new album, like they did with Tattoo.
    They could still do this today with all of the songs they have not released. It would save them from having to write new songs.

4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

But "Exile & Girls" LP titles ring cash registers!

Former Lee Warmer and warewolf95 like this.
  5. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Francesco Clemente. He also did the one on the bottom, which Jagger used on the inner sleeve of PRIMITIVE COOL.

warewolf95 and twicks like this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Lonesome and Blue didn’t do too badly either. Basically, while few are interested in solo product, new Rolling Stones studio albums have always done well. Even during the 80’s and 90’s, when most “classic rock” artists were facing general indifference to their new work, the Stones’ albums always sold very well. I think it’s partly because they’ve never strayed from their basic sound. Some of their albums aren’t very good (Dirty Work) but at the end of the day, they aren’t bad (Pipes of Peace?), or different (Slow Train Coming?) enough to alienate their huge fan base.

7. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I love A Bigger Bang.

8. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Agreed, P.W.--I hope there's at least one more proper Rolling Stones album waiting in the wings. Blue & Lonesome was a real sleeper--I wasn't expecting much, but they came in full of fire, and I think it helped that they selected specific songs they've loved since childhood. Of course, it's not an unfamiliar formula--they came full circle, returning to their roots to record a covers album. To that end: they grew up on Chester Burnett, McKinley Morganfield, and Robert Johnson (among others). What I'd love to see them do is something exactly in the vein of Blue & Lonesome--only this time instead of covering old classics, I'd like to see some Jagger/Richards originals. The immortal bluesmen whom I mentioned all died relatively young; The Stones are well north of seventy, so in a sense, they are the "older" men--they have the experiences under their belts to write this kind of material and really let it loose. They may not be rock 'n rollers anymore--Father Time catches us all--but they can still be badass bluesmen, and they'd merely being going home spiritually.

-siyt

P.S.--The Commander's harp work on B&L was stunning--don't be shocked if he's got a drop or two of Mississippi blood in him!

9. steelinYaThighs

Very nice clip. That's definite The Stones in the background. For a just-turned 75 year old, The Commander is still getting it done.

Sounds like a love child born of Tattoo You and Bleed.

-siyt

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. steelinYaThighs

THIS!

-siyt

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hey, it could still happen- really, taking that route the only guy who'd have to put in any effort would be Jagger, except Charlie, Keith and Ron would still have to learn to play some of the songs live...

linclink and All Down The Line like this.
  12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

13. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

...at last !...seems very promising...

btltez likes this.
  14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

15. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

We’ve lost too many legends of late. I hope they release music and keep performing for as long as they damn well please and I’ll savor every note.

enro99, SmellTheHorse, laf848 and 7 others like this.
  16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too. Allman Brothers Band, all incarnations, and the Rolling Stones are my two favorites. The first time I heard Satisfaction on the AM in 65 I was hooked. The ABB lost so many great players over the years it's just amazing to me that the Stones are still performing.

18. it will be hard to top blue and lonesome

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

A whole album with new music will be the perfect top off for Blue and Lonesome. Just played that one today.

warewolf95 and aphexj like this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I mean he is no John Popper obviously but Mick kicks ass on the harp and does what it needs to do to elevate that music. As evidenced on Blue and Lonesome, which is just a totally awesome album in general - it made me happy to hear that the Stones still had that sort of thing in them

warewolf95 and RogerB like this.
  21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Amazing that it's even possible . . . As mentioned above, think how many legends we've lost younger than the Stones. Yet somehow this band is almost wholly intact.

The Beave, twicks and bonus like this.
  22. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

23. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Charlie is 75. It's possible his style has changed since Sticky Fingers. Or even Bigger Bang...

24. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

[​IMG]
    Posted September 2018, Mick at Sun studios in Memphis.

phillyal1, danielbravo, JoeF. and 3 others like this.
  25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

His style has changed over the years, but there is no way on earth that that recording is Charlie, he simply doesn't play that way.
    It is nothing like Charlie Watts at all. You can hear the hi-hat on the 2 and 4 which charlie doesn't do as he talks about here...

I saw him twice on this current tour and it hasn't changed since A Bigger Bang, other than the inevitable affects of age which has slowed him down a bit.
    His technique hasn't changed in a long time, not that it's a bad thing, I love what he does.

My guess would be that Jagger is making a demo for the Stones in that video.
    We've seen all the pics and videos of him at his house, with guitars and mics, as well as the new one of the Gibson acoustic and notepad with the words "writing songs".
    I wouldn't be surprised if the drum part is a programmed loop, it doesn't deviate at all and just keeps going round and round.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.