Rolling Stones New Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Very much so.

Mick put out a couple of solo tracks in 2017 as a standalone single. There's Stones-related precedent there, if the main goal is just to get some new tracks out in the world (and maybe play one or two in the setlist).

Dear god, don't even joke about that. :wtf:

TonyCzar likes this.
  2. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

They have already broken the mold, again, by still playing and touring. And they are showing, again, how a band can do an album at this age, in this time. They are first band to be this age, still going, still going to try and see what they get and how far they can get. There is no rule book for them. Never was, never will be. There are so many ingredients in the mix here. Not just songs, but LIFE at their age and being spread around the world, families, health, etc. And as for ''assumptions" from the internet, humbug. No one knows. My guess? When they find a window, and the song seems worth a go, they find a studio and track it. And if that recipe takes ten years or more, which it has already, so be it. They don't care. They are doing it their way, at their age, in their specific life styles. Personally, I don't get what people want from them. They have proven themselves for decades. They have done some flops, yes, like all bands and bands that have been around not even HALF as long as The Stones. U2 anyone? I was re-watching the Sopranos for the 5ooth time lol. The episode that has Keith's Thru and Thru song was on, and it slayed me. I went and put on Voodoo Lounge vinyl, and those 3 songs on that side of the vinyl remaster were just BRILLIANT. I was like, dang, what more could a fan want? Then the recent Stones in Blue, the BBC special on the Stones and the Blues, they talked about Might As Well Get Juiced from Bridges 2 Babylon. Mick saying it's just a blues with some electronica. An experiment. And it sounded GREAT. Went and put that album on and hell, Out of Control, Saint of Me, Juiced, couple others....NO ONE sounds like that or can get away with sounding like that. Again, I just had to ask myself ''what do people want from them?" They were the embodiment of rock n roll and what it looked like, acted like, sounded like, bought and sold like. They still make music only The Stones could make. Sorry for the rant. Just my opinion. The Stones and The Kinks just deserve to make whatever mistakes they may make, because in between those mistakes are the greatest songs ever, and not one other band can come close. Again, my opinion. Cheers.

Michael D, D.B., enro99 and 14 others like this.
  3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

They may turn out be the only band who was *almost* around for the beginning of rock & roll — AND the end of it.

4. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident

That video of Mick playing looks like the house of his that was in "Being Mick".

[​IMG]

5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Fact is the Stones don't have to record a whole album for the "The Stones are back!" headlines and resulting bump in downloads, streams and CD/LP/ticket purchases. A single and new video would do just the same, and really it's not an LP era anymore. It's a singles landscape in music at the moment. A top 10 single and/or Grammy for a new Stones song in 2019 would be a huge victory, and that might be what they are going for.

Might just be a single release, A/B side and/or a song or two for a soundtrack... Maybe they are recording a few things for a new movie.

Maybe a tour film from their 2018/19 shows that also includes a few new songs/music videos?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    enro99 likes this.
  6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

It's kinda funny how Mick and Keith both have their musical "aide-de-camps" (Matt Clifford and Steve Jordan) whom they apparently can't make music without, yet would never be permitted to take the helm on a Stones project.

I'm convinced Don Was remains in the scene because the battle to agree on a new producer would be too exhausting for either Glimmer Twin to contemplate.

7. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I agree, I think it's that, but I think it's also because whatever one thinks of Don Was as a producer, he is known by now to be extremely trustworthy with the material he is given access to by the Stones. He has done their new albums for a very long time, plus reissues for Exile, Some Girls, and the other projects, and if you look around there really has been almost nothing that has leaked out in an unauthorized fashion, as bootlegs or whatever -- a few things maybe but truth be told, there just really aren't a whole lot of "insider" leaks on these various projects where Don Was is involved.

As a comparison point, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin has worked with a variety of different engineers on handling the Zeppelin archive or catalog, over the years, and what happens there is that the stuff almost always leaks out a year or two after the original project is over. There was the Southhampton soundboard, stuff from the DVD that wasn't used, there were soundboards of Madison Square Garden that seem to have come from a more modern digital source, there were several CDs' worth of pristine quality studio outtakes that mysteriously slipped out at some point long prior to the Companion Discs, and the mysterious and crazy Osaka soundboard that popped up...And in one case, the bootleg of the Royal Albert Hall show is even labelled as "the Kevin Shirley mixes" after the guy who engineered the transfer and mix who doesn't really work for Page anymore. It's been a constant trickle of Zeppelin stuff, but by comparison to other major acts, the Stones' vault is still reasonably ironclad by 2019 standards. Most of what seems to be floating around out there in unauthorized Stones bootleg world is really old stuff copied from cassettes, upgrades of previously known tapes, and then sometimes the occasional live soundboard that's actually from a video feed, and whatnot.

I mean so far nobody's ever really gotten into the Stones' studio vault in a digital form and copied it all onto a hard drive in their duffle bag or whatever, if you get what I mean -- and that probably has a lot to do with Don Was. Plus he has a high level job as an executive at Blue Note Records, part of the Universal Group, which the Stones are also underneath the umbrella of. That job also involves the gatekeeping of a reissue vault, so it's clear that Don Was understands the immense value of being discreet and private with unreleased material. He has a proven track record that he knows how to discreetly sit on stuff without blabbing to the world about it, and he isn't the kind of guy who is going to dupe off copies of tracks for his friends, or leave the sessions laying around the studio unattended. When they did the re-recordings for "Plunder My Soul" for the Exile reissue, practically nobody knew the modern sessions with Mick Taylor had even happened, until it was suddenly out there on the release. Whatever it is Don Was does for the Stones, he really doesn't seem to let a lot of things get out there into the wild.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    krock2009, enro99, bonus and 6 others like this.
  8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Dude!

"Factory Girl"
    "Claudine"
    "Sweet Virginia"
    "Far Away Eyes"
    "Dear Doctor"

Mutts:

"It's All Over Now"
    "Down the Road Apiece"

I've said it before, I'll say it again. They can do justice to this.
    Not only does it rock, it's country and very radio-friendly.
    Perfect for The Stones, a great single and very much
    in the vein of The Brian Jones Era.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I hadn't thought of that. Great point.

10. walrus

“Far Away Eyes” is my least favorite Stones song of all time. The other ones are okay, but a full covers album of that stuff would be excruciating.

11. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I wonder if the album-bundled-with-a-concert-ticket sales trick would work with a single. That would be about the only way the Stones could get a top ten single these days.

12. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Dude, just what is your problem? If you don't want a new Stones album, I'm sure you're in the minority. I want a frickin album. I have been waiting patiently for 14 years, so quit with all your statistics. It's The Rolling Stones and they want to make a new album. I want the same.

13. John Grimes

The question I have is, why aren't you?

mbrownp1 likes this.
  14. John Grimes

And that's sad. Just means more stupid people in the world. I need a drink again

laf848 likes this.
  15. walrus

Why do they (or anyone) need a top ten single? Charts are possibly the most meaningless thing on earth. Even if they did that, and it charted, doesn't translate into people listening to it. (Related: if anyone wants the last David Byrne album on CD, feel free to drop by my place and take my sealed copies they sent me with my ticket purchase last year. It's great! I just don't have a use for CD's)

enro99 and Former Lee Warmer like this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I see where Jerry Lee Lewis is touring...

17. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I'm waiting patiently for news every day. I love the band and I think they most certainly still have it in them to record a great (probably final) album. I love Blue and Lonesome (it has become one of my favorite car CDs), I love Crosseyed Heart, I loved the new songs on Grrr... I think they can very easily put together a 10-14 track album full of great stuff. End it with a Keith ballad and I'm guaranteed to cry.

It's funny. The last time the Stones put out a new album of original material (2005) I was a senior in high school. The time before that (1997) I was in fourth grade. I heard both of them right when they came out--raised by a Stones fanatic. I'm now 30. Time sure does fly. Three albums and my life has changed so much. Those both came out in September. Good time of year for a new Stones album, I think.

krock2009, Sean, bonus and 7 others like this.
  18. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

And this just supports my oft posted assertion that even the “worst” stones records are better than most others best.

19. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

x1000.

Re: The Exile & Girls Deluxe Outtakes Discs--both are textbooks demonstrating how The Stones can take a fragment of a tune, a working version, or even a fully finished product ready to be dropped on an album and store in the vault--only to retrieve it years later and make it WORK in a new envisioning. "Slave" and "Worried About You" from B&B are other good examples--they've made B&B a monster album (by Stones Standards), but they waited five years before returning and those two became anchors of their monster Tattoo You LP. Other bands would murder their first born children for that kind of ability--that's one reason The Stones have enjoyed such remarkable longevity.

Hoping for something in the same vein as Blue & Lonesome, but let's have us some of those tasty Jagger/Richards Specials--straight blues, boys! You're older than your heroes, so make us proud and go out in a blaze of glory. In particular, a sound from the mold of "Down In The Hole." They would crush that kind of material these days.

- siyt

krock2009, Sean, bonus and 4 others like this.
  20. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Are you implying that rock will end when the Stones end?

21. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

The Stones won't "end" - they'll just get some replacements and keep touring under the same name. No one will know! HEY: it's a joke.

Odysseus likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would prefer something like Fancyman Blues or Black Limousine to Down In The Hole.

Sean, steelinYaThighs, bonus and 2 others like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I agree on Far Away Eyes and any other song like Dear Doctor that Jagger sings in the exaggerated country hick voice.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I liked but not loved Undercover, two or three songs from Dirty Work, 1/2 of Steel Wheels, 1/3 of Voodoo, and not much of Bridges, etc. When the put of the studio track Highwire, I knew they were in trouble going forward with new material.

My favorites from post TY are the 12" mixes of One Hit to the Body, and Feel on Baby, and the video mix (also on import 12") of Almost Hear You Sigh. These are very strong recordings. And I like the b-side "Think I'm Going Mad" too, almost forgot. That's about if for the last 30 years for me.

But I am not expecting as much anymore. It's probably good that I keep my expectations in check.

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ya Ya!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.